760Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
So I wanted the top of my bronco wrapped black. Ended up going to pick it up today and the wrap was so bad I asked them to pull it off and refund my money...
upon returning to work I noticed some razor blade cuts in the paint above the roof. It runs about a foot and a half long.
I demanded they get it painted at Ford and they are offering a free wrap now.

in retrospect I should have just left it alone . ??

Ford Bronco Sport Failed Wrap Job FAAB5E31-F2CF-47EC-8C56-974DA4941654

Ford Bronco Sport Failed Wrap Job 7723C292-FD1E-4045-B43E-DD6B880E9CF1

Ford Bronco Sport Failed Wrap Job A9FCE8CC-7AD7-4867-879F-F9DCC1630962

Ford Bronco Sport Failed Wrap Job 8ABFB37E-4421-4E1E-9A72-C46D443D2733
Sponsored

Johnperrion

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
So I wanted the top of my bronco wrapped black. Ended up going to pick it up today and the wrap was so bad I asked them to pull it off and refund my money...
upon returning to work I noticed some razor blade cuts in the paint above the roof. It runs about a foot and a half long.

So what do ya think you're gonna go with? Getting the roof re-painted or a new wrap?

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport

That's the bad thing with wraps; everything is custom so they have to "cut to fit". I would look the roof once over again at the edges; I'm sure there are some more

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
That's the bad thing with wraps; everything is custom so they have to "cut to fit". I would look the roof once over again at the edges; I'm sure there are some more
the unfortunate thing is...they can custom fit the wrap and NOT scratch the paint. They clearly aren't very good at wraps if A) it was so bad he asked to have it removed, B) they cut the crap out of his paint job. It's truly not difficult. Anyone with experience and skill should be able to apply the wrap without damage to the paint. natural body lines and a heat gun are your friends. I work with a lot of race teams who could wrap that entire truck in under an hour without a mark.

retiredguy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BB , 2020 Ecosport, 2017 Escape

What a shame. I had a quote to wrap the roof black but I never pulled the trigger. Let us know what you plan to do.

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
the unfortunate thing is...they can custom fit the wrap and NOT scratch the paint. They clearly aren't very good at wraps if A) it was so bad he asked to have it removed, B) they cut the crap out of his paint job. It's truly not difficult. Anyone with experience and skill should be able to apply the wrap without damage to the paint. natural body lines and a heat gun are your friends. I work with a lot of race teams who could wrap that entire truck in under an hour without a mark.
It's impossible not to leave a mark with wrapping a vehicle. There will be atleast scoring of the clear coat with the best of the best doing it. It's a roll they have to cut in sections to get the straight lines there will be damage. Any vehicle that I've seen the wrap removed has found scratches and scores in the clear coat and paint

OP
OP

760Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
So what do ya think you're gonna go with? Getting the roof re-painted or a new wrap?
I think I’m just going to have them paint it and leave it alone. I don’t want to take the risk of wrapping the top and not seeing any more scratches under the wrap.

OP
OP

760Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
It's impossible not to leave a mark with wrapping a vehicle. There will be atleast scoring of the clear coat with the best of the best doing it. It's a roll they have to cut in sections to get the straight lines there will be damage. Any vehicle that I've seen the wrap removed has found scratches and scores in the clear coat and paint
This can’t be right.. there is no way wraps would be this popular if you couldn’t get it done without razor blade cuts down to bare metal.
They do super cars in some of the shops out here, no way people are having cuts in their $300,000 paint job.

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
This can’t be right.. there is no way wraps would be this popular if you couldn’t get it done without razor blade cuts down to bare metal.
They do super cars in some of the shops out here, no way people are having cuts in their $300,000 paint job.
I'm telling you there will be some scoring of atleast the clear coat.....its impossible to match all the contours of cars.......and yes it cost alot to do because it time consuming and the vinyl; I guarantee when the vinyl is removed you can find the scores, cuts and scrapes

Nothing is guaranteed with aftermarket mods ?‍♂??‍♂

OP
OP

760Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I'm telling you there will be some scoring of atleast the clear coat.....its impossible to match all the contours of cars.......and yes it cost alot to do because it time consuming and the vinyl; I guarantee when the vinyl is removed you can find the scores, cuts and scrapes

Nothing is guaranteed with aftermarket mods ?‍♂??‍♂
well that’s the only scratch I’ve seen.. the owner of the shop said it’s unacceptable and that’s not how they do business. He’s paying for the top to be painted and offered to wrap it again for free. I don’t think he could keep a business going for 20 years if this was happening consistently. I’m guessing it’s going to be 800-900 bucks to get that roof painted at the dealership.

mikennat

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I work at a wrap place and had my hood done. They should have used a knifeless method to do the contour and would not scratch the paint at all. It has to be done by hand, there is now way to precut and match the shape. They put the knifeless down first exactly the shape they want and then put the vinyl on top and when pulled it cuts it.

nny_bronco

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Yeah, they are just bad at their jobs. A good vinyl tech will be able to use a knife with just enough pressure to cut the vinyl only or they will use the knifeless cutting line like mikennat mentioned. Hope it gets resolved for you!

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
If they're paying to have Ford repaint it, why not just have Ford paint it black? Their bodyshop should have the info and materials to make it like the OB, BL, or FE.

The black paint is less expensive than the red anyhow.

pixlpush

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tern GSD Ebike (car free at the moment)
100% disagree with this. While not easy plenty of places that do good work will not score the paint. A lot of hacks out there will do a bad job at just about anything
Sponsored