pinhotihiker

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands Shadow Black
Considering installing a second battery with isolator down the line. I like the idea of having a separate power supply from the cranking battery for lights, charging, etc, AND having back up juice in the second battery even the cranking battery dies for some reason.

My main concern is room for the second battery under the hood. Really don't want to have to store it inside the cabin and cut down on storage space.

If I can find room for the set up, I'd like to go with the Genesis kit. They handle all the wiring and it has a built in isolator. Also they have quick connect cables so I can put a jumper port on the front grill or bumper somewhere.

Anyone done something like this already? Tips? Criticisms?
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
...AND having back up juice in the second battery even the cranking battery dies for some reason.
I'll probably end up with something like the Jackery portable power station for camp use because they have such great reviews. I'm willing to give up a bit of interior storage space so I don't have to carry the weight of an extra battery for daily driving. These may be recharged while driving using either a 12 VDC or 110 VAC.

For emergency starts I'll bring a portable jump starter. Project Farm is a YouTube channel run by a guy who does real-world testing on all different kinds of products. In this video he tests a number of different portable jump start batteries recommended by his viewers.

INSVOLT

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BENZ
With the freedom that more and more diverse off-grid lifestyles demand, the FJD portable solar generator offers a practical power solution that supports your off-grid lifestyle. However, the FJD 500 watt solar generator or 2000 watt solar generator is not limited to power supply scenarios, it is also excellent as a power source for camping and as a backup power source for the home.
Sponsored