First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
OK, I gotta ask! I'm an old off-roader, Nevada desert in a VW buggy! Don't do that no more (too old), but even then we didn't carry a spare tire. So what is the reason for putting your spare out back, or on the roof? Out back blocks the rear camera and part of the rear window view (which is already a bit small), and on top reduces highway gas mileage. Is it for the extra storage in the spare tire bay, or for 2 spares? I could definitely see a rear carrier for 1 or 2 jerrycans of fuel, but not to just make my Sport look like an old jeep! So, help me out, WHY an outside spare carrier?

OK, I gotta ask! I'm an old off-roader, Nevada desert in a VW buggy! Don't do that no more (too old), but even then we didn't carry a spare tire. So what is the reason for putting your spare out back, or on the roof? Out back blocks the rear camera and part of the rear window view (which is already a bit small), and on top reduces highway gas mileage. Is it for the extra storage in the spare tire bay, or for 2 spares? I could definitely see a rear carrier for 1 or 2 jerrycans of fuel, but not to just make my Sport look like an old jeep! So, help me out, WHY an outside spare carrier?
Storage space and if you get all-terrain tires 245/65/17 or larger they won't fit in the spare compartment.
Sponsored

Carolo

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
Storage space and if you get all-terrain tires 245/65/17 or larger they won't fit in the spare compartment.
OK, I get that for some it's just the "Off Roadey" look, and for some it's the extra storage in the spare tire bay (or even a spare that doesn't fit in the bay). But what about the Federal requirement that all vehicles since '18 must have a rear view camera. Are we setting ourselves up for litigation, or even criminal action for blocking the use of a required safety device? People are a bit "lawsuit" happy, and I wouldn't put it past someone to raise the fact I blocked the use of my "required" backup camera. Just sayin that we may need to worry about more than just ground clearance, or storage on our Broncos!

hwildey

Big Bend
First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
OK, I gotta ask! I'm an old off-roader, Nevada desert in a VW buggy! Don't do that no more (too old), but even then we didn't carry a spare tire. So what is the reason for putting your spare out back, or on the roof? Out back blocks the rear camera and part of the rear window view (which is already a bit small), and on top reduces highway gas mileage. Is it for the extra storage in the spare tire bay, or for 2 spares? I could definitely see a rear carrier for 1 or 2 jerrycans of fuel, but not to just make my Sport look like an old jeep! So, help me out, WHY an outside syourpare carrier?
I would think about it because with a full size spare (which I think is pretty important) your storage space is reduced just a little bit. If you removed the spare altogether you could use that space for some stuff and maximize the above floor cover space. That would be my reasoning anyway. It is pretty minimal gain it seems so I probably won't do it especially since there doesn't seem to be an easy way without moving the rear view camera and without a hitch mount. I suppose some people like the looks, but that would not be my reason.

cellg8

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I did mount the spare on my roof, which opens the space under the cargo floor liner for stuff, as well as move the liner to the lower slot (I have the 'full size' spare, so the floor liner was in the upper slot)

Ford Bronco Sport Spare tire mount? 1630675471329
Great set up! Would love to know the parts (and perhaps links) needed to get the spare mounted on roof. Thank you.
Sponsored