My first weekend off road snow adventure

Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS Badlands, 2019 VW GTI Rabbit ed. 03 JCW MCS
Ford Bronco Sport My first weekend off road snow adventure 1704730072850

This pic was from day two of our 3 day adventure, more to follow and possibly a video or two.

This was on Canyon rim road, in Davis WV and we were with 3 of our Subaru friends, in Wilderness edition Outbacks. The previous day, by brother and I did Canaan Loop, also in Davis, with a 6G Bronco friend and the third day we led two of our Bronco group people through some trails that lay between Brandywine, WV and Broadway, Va.

My brother, in pic, seemed to be more focused on taking pictures than guiding me all the way through this washout and I over reacted to a hole on my left, at the up hill exit and cut right to soon, hanging my right rear tire in a drop off that ended up dragging the whole right side down. After two or three tries and some better communication, I was able to cut my wheels to the left and back up enough that I was able to get up through the proper line. My Subaru friends all got through this, on the first try, having gone through the proper line, though they all had trouble in more than one other spot, whereas I had none. They were all impressed at me getting myself out of the hole with out any traction aids or a tow rope.

I did most of my snow wheeling, on this trip, in normal mode, with 4WD engaged but not the rear locker and my Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T's, aired down to 25psi and while it never felt out of control or unsafe, I must say the two Subaru's I've sold in the past few years, a 1999 2.5RS and a 1998 Legacy GT wgn, both manuals, were more confidence inspiring on whatever top rated Continental All seasons I had on them at the time, the last being their DWS 03. Mind you this was my first snow wheeling in the BS and it's been 3+ years since I last got to drive one of my Subie's in the snow but on day three, with a little more ice than snow vs the previous two days, where I followed the Subie's, who were definitely going slower than I would have, I noticed the front end pushing out on some turns and the rear end moving out a little on some of the twisties.

I have a set of 16", Method Bead Grip wheels and Nokian Outpost nAT's waiting for me at Discount Tire, that I'm looking forward to getting on later this week and look forward to doing some snow wheeling with them ASAP. The Mickey's have proved indestructible, to trail damage though and nothing will keep me from buying more, when these wear out, baring a new tire coming out that proves itself better in off road testing by someone like www.tyrereviews.com maybe that will be the new Falken Wildpeak AT4W.

More pics, as promised. Credit Sherman Cahal for all photos so far.First pic below is me at the back of our group on day two. Second is the washout I got hung up in, at the end.
Ford Bronco Sport My first weekend off road snow adventure 1704811465062
Ford Bronco Sport My first weekend off road snow adventure 1704811176895
Ford Bronco Sport My first weekend off road snow adventure 1704811077524
Sponsored

Last edited:

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Without initially reading the text I thought you went off into a ditch, I've seen it hundreds of time's.

On mountain roads the BS in my experience doesn't handle very well, like you said the front end pushes and doesn't want to turn. I find you need to trail brake while turning, it also leans to much and feels tippy.

Sounds like you have a plan for fun in the snow with some mods, should make for a good time.

OP
OP
Bluebaru

Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS Badlands, 2019 VW GTI Rabbit ed. 03 JCW MCS
More pics added to first post. This is a better look, at the washout, I cut to sharp through and on the proper line.
Ford Bronco Sport My first weekend off road snow adventure 1704812925806

sciurus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Seeing that last photo, I'm jealous that someone makes a winch mount for the Outback Wilderness.
Sponsored