Anyone Else Enjoy the Intelligent 4WD Display?

Fordson04

Big Bend
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
If you have Forscan us big bend owners can turn it on. I just did today. Not as pretty as the higher trims with the bigger screen but was still neat to watch the bars as I was accelerating on my lil test drive after turning it on.

Ford Bronco Sport Anyone Else Enjoy the Intelligent 4WD Display? 20220212_171313
Sponsored

GCross762

Big Bend
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Big Bend
OP on that thread. They subtracted a gear that would have been 3a in the sequence (assuming we kept the same gear-numbers as currently quoted in the 8F35).

I too wish they'd done a crawler-ratio for 1 , kept it nominally a 9 speed (or call it a 8+C), and had road operations just run 2 . 3 . 3a . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8

It is also possible that doing a crawler-ratio would have resulted in downstream change requirements to other components (PTU, CV joints, etc…) due to increased output torque from the transmission.
Actually we removed some components that created that extra gear. The problem was that the original trans was not durable and kept breaking. Removing the components to make it a 8sp made the unit more durable.

VirtualJMills

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Actually we removed some components that created that extra gear. The problem was that the original trans was not durable and kept breaking. Removing the components to make it a 8sp made the unit more durable.
That's the tidbit that wasn't covered in the original articles. Thanks! :)

OP
OP
magicbus

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
I give this same excuse to my wife when I fix something and have parts left over! :D

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Can you be more specific about your source. The 8F35 transmission is the result of a collaboration between GM and Ford. GM's version of this transmission is a nine-speed while Ford's is eight-speed. The main driver behind the development of these new transmissions was improving fuel economy. Everything I've read suggests Ford eliminated a gear to save on weight and production costs, and because the extra gear did nothing to improve fuel economy.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I give this same excuse to my wife when I fix something and have parts left over! :D
I read about a guy in my youth who made extra money on the side rebuilding VW engines. He claimed that he always had parts left over. So many, in fact, that after rebuilding five or six VW engines he would have enough left-over parts to build an entire engine.

GCross762

Big Bend
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Big Bend
Can you be more specific about your source. The 8F35 transmission is the result of a collaboration between GM and Ford. GM's version of this transmission is a nine-speed while Ford's is eight-speed. The main driver behind the development of these new transmissions was improving fuel economy. Everything I've read suggests Ford eliminated a gear to save on weight and production costs, and because the extra gear did nothing to improve fuel economy.
The nine speed was reduced to 8 due to the gear ratio's between each other and were close plus the economy was not that much of an improvement that part is true. Which gear they eliminated not sure. There were also durability issues with 9 speeds.
My source told me, and I should of corrected that from "We" to my source, that in the dynos testing they would not hold up. So they removed the issue from there and it became more durable. Also the gear ratios between them from removing that gear was not a big jump.
Yes this also reduces cost but that was not a factor at Ford, it was durability with economy. But if you say "We reduce the gear to save money with the added affects of getting economy too" the Share holders get real happy.
So If you look at the ratios between gears 1-8 the steps are close compared to a 6 or 5 speed. Also GM kept the 9 speed cause it was their baby and in advertising 9 is more impressive than 8. You could have a 15 speed unit but the end results are your Final Drive Ratio, or what most people call OD.
If you look at the final drive ratios between each trans they only change in tenths of a ratio. Like .70:1 then .68:1 and so forth. If you look at the 5 speeds that were out there they did this. Ford had two 5 speed units at one time an 5R55s and a W. The S they called synchronized and a W was wide ratio. The Wide Ratio between gears was a big jump between certain gears and the economy and shift feel were there you cold really feel it like an 3-4 speed trans. Then they developed a closer gear ratio 5 speed trans and the economy was slightly better and the feel of the shift between gears was smoother and not as felt. I think the Final drive ratio was like .69:1 to .67?
I have the BS BB with the 8f35 1.5L and the shifts are really smooth and you can hardly feel one gear to another.

A lot of 4 speed units, 4R44E, could actually get 8 speeds out of them but they were just really close in ratios and Manufacturers really didn't use them back then till they started squeezing all they could to get more efficient. Plus Toyota was selling cars with 6 speed then 8 then 10 and the public ate it up thinking more gears the better the car.

Also remember what you read on public formats from their developments of a given unit is what they released for the public. Like government they tell you what they want you to know not what really happens.

A little long but I hope its more clear than confusing. I'm a retired auto/manual trans tech from the dealers. I started working on trans back in 88 and retired in 2000 from the dealers. I went contract hire to a manufacture. This is how I know things and wont reveal how or who I know. I like my job and so do my sources.
Questions?

Last edited:

Michigunman

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
If you haven't tried this display setting it is worth a look for a bit of entertainment.
I tried this the last couple times it rained. I was pretty surprised how often and how much power was sent to the rear under moderate acceleration. Pretty cool.

hwildey

Big Bend
First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
If you have Forscan us big bend owners can turn it on. I just did today. Not as pretty as the higher trims with the bigger screen but was still neat to watch the bars as I was accelerating on my lil test drive after turning it on.

Ford Bronco Sport Anyone Else Enjoy the Intelligent 4WD Display? 20220212_171313
What is this Forscan? How do you find this? Did many of us have it removed when we were newborns?