2022 BS OB - fast blinkers, exterior lights working properly (I think)

DJ_DC

Outer Banks
First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
In my 2022 OB, a few months ago one of the turn signals starting blinking rapidly. I checked all the rear lights (turn signal, backup, etc.) and everything was working, so I ignored it. Now both turn signals are blinking rapidly, and I still can't find a light that's not working.

First, YES, I checked all the rear lights, including the wide light above the tailgate, and everything seems to be working fine. (Please do not ask me if I checked all the lights- I did.) I even popped out the rear light assemblies and checked each bulb, and they're all fine.

However, I can't figure out one thing: which lights in the back are SUPPOSED to light up when I brake. Right now, the wide light of the tailgate works fine when I press the brake, but nothing else comes on. Is that normal? I can't find a video or instructions of what the rear brake lights are supposed to look like - even among the 5 gazillion videos on YouTube - so I don't know if I'm missing something, and if so, what exactly.

Finally, for context: I installed a Uhaul trailer hitch last year with their wiring harness. I've used the trailer recently and all the connections worked fine. But I'm wondering whether it might have caused an issue, and if so, what it might be.

I'm trying to assess some possible issues before depleting my kid's college savings at the dealer service center. So any thoughts on any of the above would be MUCH appreciated!
Sponsored

Last edited:

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
More times than not when you have the fast blinking turn signal issue the brake light bulb on the side that is blinking fast is bad and needs to be replaced. The tail light assembly has to be removed, removal can be a bit tricky because the black plastic trim piece adjacent to the tail light can be damaged if not careful pulling it out once the screws are removed, it has tabs that can be broken, once the tail light assembly is out the bulb is easily accessed.

OP
OP

DJ_DC

Outer Banks
First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Yes, I removed the rear assemblies and checked all the bulbs. They're all fine, not a one burnt out. A burnt out light was the first thing I thought of. I posted because it's not a normal issue: the bulbs are all fine, and all the rear lights appear normal... except the upper light of each assembly that's supposed to come one when I apply the brakes, but doesn't come on.

As far as I can tell on the Ford parts website, that top light of the assembly is the same bulb and light as the blinker. So I can't figure out why it's not working for the brakes!

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The rear lighting is as follows:
A. Upper rear turn signal lamp B. middle brake lamp C. lower reverse lamp.

When I had the fast blink issue it was a burned out brake light bulb

If all the bulbs are good as you say, then the issue is apparently more complex.

Ford Bronco Sport 2022 BS OB - fast blinkers, exterior lights working properly (I think) 1711252441395-84

GulfCoastBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Topher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I also think brake lights need to be replaced as you stated when pressing brakes only 3rd brake light comes on. A 2 pack of bulbs is very inexpensive from auto store. I would replace the bulbs even if you think they are fine.

kshaw

Outer Banks
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport;350Z;Hybrid Escape
I had this issue with a Volvo I once owned. As others have suggested, just start replacing the bulbs on that circuit until they stop rapid blinking. I believe that is caused by lamp resistance because you can cause this by replacing incandescent bulbs with LEDs and you sometimes have to wire in a resistor parallel to the bulb.to resolve.

R W NORRIS New Mexico

Big Bend
First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Check that U Haul wiring harness. They use a Y Connector and may have grounded it at the rear of the frame or body. You problem sounds like a open short, or a ground wire that was pulled off when you connected the trailer or disconnected it. You have three lights for the brakes. The top one on the body above the door, then one on each corner. There are two bulbs in each of those. Atop brake, and a bottom brake light bulb. These are also your taillights when you have the light switch on. They have two filiments in each bulb. One is brighter than the other for the brakes. Back your car up to a retail outlet that has big windows and put your car in Park. Set the brake. Now press the brake pedal, look at your screen and watch the lights come on. I believe they will, but go back to the hitch and look for the wire and how it is routed to the system. If they did use a Y connector, it will only have one Black wire that will be broken. They should have wired to the lights and battery, but you didn't pay for that. lol Good luck. By the way you did not change a bulb did you?

Tamztrk

Outer Banks
First Name
Tamra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
In my 2022 OB, a few months ago one of the turn signals starting blinking rapidly. I checked all the rear lights (turn signal, backup, etc.) and everything was working, so I ignored it. Now both turn signals are blinking rapidly, and I still can't find a light that's not working.

First, YES, I checked all the rear lights, including the wide light above the tailgate, and everything seems to be working fine. (Please do not ask me if I checked all the lights- I did.) I even popped out the rear light assemblies and checked each bulb, and they're all fine.

However, I can't figure out one thing: which lights in the back are SUPPOSED to light up when I brake. Right now, the wide light of the tailgate works fine when I press the brake, but nothing else comes on. Is that normal? I can't find a video or instructions of what the rear brake lights are supposed to look like - even among the 5 gazillion videos on YouTube - so I don't know if I'm missing something, and if so, what exactly.

Finally, for context: I installed a Uhaul trailer hitch last year with their wiring harness. I've used the trailer recently and all the connections worked fine. But I'm wondering whether it might have caused an issue, and if so, what it might be.

I'm trying to assess some possible issues before depleting my kid's college savings at the dealer service center. So any thoughts on any of the above would be MUCH appreciated!
Same problem. All lights working fine! It comes and goes, always after the car wash. It has not stopped in two weeks this time.
Sponsored