Jomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
There has been nothing that I've seen on this forum to suggest that it will be anything more than a rebodied and maybe mildly lifted C2 Escape. Nothing about lockers, suspension differences, or drivetrain tuning, If you compare the information here with the Bronco site, there is nothing to compare. Perhaps the leaks here are meant to be disinformation, but what we know so far suggests to me that the Sport will only be rugged looking. 1.5l 3cyl/ 8spd with only P-R-N-D-L dial shift? Really?
1. Lifted about an inch as compared to Escape with the same size tire. This means there are suspension modifications. Suspension travel could be slightly greater to compete with Renegade Trailhawk, but this is a detail that won’t show up in order forms.

2. Larger tires available than Escape. Even more clearance outside and within wheel well. The tires are also high profile ATs in all versions, not like the Escape or off-road TRD Rav4.

3. Approach and departure angles are much higher than Escape. Break over will also be better with ride height increase and slightly smaller wheelbase. Much better than the off-road TRD Rav4 too.

4. An electronic “locker” is likely the method of keeping the vehicle in 4WD. Just like the Renegade Trailhawk. This won’t show up in photos.

5. 4WD “locker” is likely engaged through the drive modes like the Trailhawk. A physical button is not required.

6. Lower gearing than Escape? Not confirmed, but I would think this is required. We can’t see this in photos nor in order pages. Individual gear selection may also be via paddle shifters like used in the 2.0l Escapes.

7. The 250hp 2.0l engine will likely be standard on the most off-road variants. More available power than any competitor.

8. Skid plates and the like. Will be as part of off-road packages.

What more do you want? The Bronco Sport is not designed to compete with the Wrangler. It is designed to compete with 4 wheel independent suspension, small SUVs that have some credible off-road ability. Specifically the Jeep Renegade/Compass Trailhawk. It looks to be designed for this task.
Sponsored

Engineerd

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
I agree. We dont need solid axles and detroit lockers to traverse a rough backroad. Skid plates are critical, approach and departure angles, plenty of tire clearance and hopefully decent clearance under the body. Modern traction control 'brains' can do an amazing job acting like a locker. I am dreaming of being able to fit a nice 31" all terrain, putting good skid plates on it, better shocks and springs, and maybe even a winch?

I have seen people do some pretty incredible off-roading in not off-road vehicles. I have seen front wheel drive civics in the back of the Pismo dunes, a Crown Vic clean Hells Revenge in Moab, and a Ford Taurus back on a seriously rough forest route. I went through a creek crossing with the family in a Mazda 3 that a group of kids in a lifted Explorer did not want to go through.

I am not advocating abusing vehicles, but with smart line choice and experience you can go lots of places that guys in a Rubicon on 37s are scared of going. There is a reason they are called mall crawlers...

BTW, even the top of the off road pile right now, the Wrangler, 'only' has a 2.0L turbo 4. With stock tires and a small vehicle the 1.5L will probably be fine, as long as its just used around town. I would plan on larger tires, a roof rack, and a load for the family for the weekend, so the larger engine for me please.