Hutchicles

Big Bend
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Most people I have seen buying A/Ts are doing it for the dirt/mud/snow. I am living in Coastal Texas, so I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for tires for Sand and Mud. I don't need to worry about snow, but I will be going through sand fairly regularly, I'm awaiting my job change and higher pay before getting some A/T tires and a hitch installed. Thanks!
Sponsored

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
I'm no expert but I would assume heavy AT-type tires would be more than capable for sand, or dirt.

If you've got a BL, even the stock tires should be good enough. Heck, I've seen photos of OB owners running on the beaches so those would probably work as well.

OP
OP

Hutchicles

Big Bend
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I'm no expert but I would assume heavy AT-type tires would be more than capable for sand, or dirt.

If you've got a BL, even the stock tires should be good enough. Heck, I've seen photos of OB owners running on the beaches so those would probably work as well.
I have a BB, so it came with the AS Continentals which I don't quite trust in sand. I have a lot of experience in sand, but there are a lot of deep/soft areas near my fishing spots.

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
I have a BB, so it came with the AS Continentals which I don't quite trust in sand. I have a lot of experience in sand, but there are a lot of deep/soft areas near my fishing spots.
Could always go with a set of BL wheels and tires. The Wildpeak should be more than capable for sand and mud.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Most people I have seen buying A/Ts are doing it for the dirt/mud/snow. I am living in Coastal Texas, so I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for tires for Sand and Mud. I don't need to worry about snow, but I will be going through sand fairly regularly, I'm awaiting my job change and higher pay before getting some A/T tires and a hitch installed. Thanks!
Thereā€™s a way called the old school way.
It goes like this:
KISS, Keep It Stupid Simple.
1st:
Wider for Sand.
Taller for Mud.
2nd:
Chevrons are unmatched but terrible on pavement so donā€™t go there. Besides they require a bunch of Ponies~n~Twist.
Thatā€™s Torque.
The second choice for sand is a tire with lots and lots of tread blocks and a tire that holds a good foot print @ about 20-25 psi.
The above will let you down In Mud.
3rd:
Mud again say No Way to Chevrons with our 3 and 4 cylinder buggies.
Look at Big Fat Chunky widely spaced ā€˜Gunnobbiesā€™
Yep thatā€™s a special missing term.
In Mud ya gots ta Gun them knobbies and advance !
In Sand ya gots ta stay on top of the sand and if ya start to sink ya gotta getcha some rooster tail up fast !
Op,
What are you in most dry sand or mud ?
If your Mud Is deep and Your sand is like the desert you need more than the 1.5L engine btw.
That is if your way out there.

Last edited:

OP
OP

Hutchicles

Big Bend
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Thereā€™s a way called the old school way.
It goes like this:
KISS, Keep It Stupid Simple.
1st:
Wider for Sand.
Taller for Mud.
2nd:
Chevrons are unmatched but terrible in pavement so donā€™t go there. Besides they require a bunch of Ponies~n~Twist.
Thatā€™s Torque.
The second choice for sand is a tire with lots and lots of tread blocks and a tire that holds a good foot print @ about 20-25 psi.
The above will let you down In Mud.
3rd:
Mud again say No Way to Chevrons with our 3 and 4 cylinder buggies.
Look at Big Fat Chunky widely spaced ā€˜Gunnobbiesā€™
Yep thatā€™s a special missing term.
In Mud ya gots ta Gun them knobbies and advance !
In Sand ya gots ta stay on top of the sand and if ya start to sink ya gotta getcha some rooster tail up fast !
Op,
What are you in most dry sand or mud ?
If your Mud Is deep and Your sand is like the desert you need more than the 1.5L engine btw.
That us if your way out there.
Beach sand mostly, so there is a hard pack under the soft stuff. I can drive in sand very well, just looking for some tires for the BS as I have always driven 4WD trucks. Btw, power to weight ratio, the BS is just fine considering my 89 Bronco had 185 hp and 270 lb ft of torque in a 4.5k lb vehicle. I usually went with Toyo Open Country's, but I was in mud more. I have also never needed to air down in sand no matter what I was driving.

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
Why not just stick with Toyos then

LilbroncoS

Base
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
I'm considering it, but not sure how they are in sand since I didnt use them much in sand.
The open country mt are nice. My last 2 vehicles had yokohama geolander mt and toyo open country mt.. they were my daily drivers.. i actually like the way the handle on pavement as well.. and the rugged look didbt hurt.. never saw a huge drop in mpg either. And knowing you can go anywhere if you had to gives peace of nind

OP
OP

Hutchicles

Big Bend
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
The open country mt are nice. My last 2 vehicles had yokohama geolander mt and toyo open country mt.. they were my daily drivers.. i actually like the way the handle on pavement as well.. and the rugged look didbt hurt.. never saw a huge drop in mpg either. And knowing you can go anywhere if you had to gives peace of nind
I'm torn between the Falkens, Toyos and Nittos. The Toyos look like they would have the best off road traction, but considering I don't do as much off roading as I used to, I'm not too sure. Thanks for the input though!