Wrench light appeared in sport mode, cruise control on..

Flagg

Badlands
First Name
L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Highway driving to Flagstaff last week, in sport and cruise on, all of sudden it popped out of cruise, RPM's revved, wrench light on with 'Check Manual' light, wow! Turning cruise OFF got RPMS to settle, pulled off at exit, cut engine. Googled wrench light, never seen one before. Not good. Waited, to give computer a breather. Restart, wrench light off (TG), check engine on. Called dealerships (PHX and Flag), no one can get me and my brand new (4200 mi) vehicle in for a week+, and another week for diagnostics etc..I also experienced power lag previous to this, after reading posts yes more obvious in PHX. Blue Dude (Alto) is in shop now, no estimate on when I will hear back. CRAZY.
Sponsored

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
Heading north on 17 from PHX? Steep incline through the mountains? Maybe the cruise couldn't keep up, popped into a lower gear with crazy max revs. Sounds like a transmission issue. Typically if the cruise can't keep up on an incline doesn't the cruise shut off? Best of luck to you and your BS.

My Big Bend has maybe 500 miles on it. I read the horror stories here and I'm afraid to drive it.

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5, 2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
While I’m pretty sure it’s not the cause and will be curious what the service comes back with, I wouldn’t be one to use cruise control while the transmission is in sport mode.

That sort of defeats the purpose of that mode doesn’t it?

OP
OP

Flagg

Badlands
First Name
L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
After service advised a lengthy wait for diagnostics, they came back within 48 hours to advise tech diagnosed 'intermittent fault due to connector not fully seated, no fault found w/connector so..connector reconnected'. :) Sounds like one of those funny airline mechanic memes..Anyhoo, fingers crossed that's all it is..

OP
OP

Flagg

Badlands
First Name
L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
While I’m pretty sure it’s not the cause and will be curious what the service comes back with, I wouldn’t be one to use cruise control while the transmission is in sport mode.

That sort of defeats the purpose of that mode doesn’t it?
Yep, lesson learned there, I hear you..I was thinking of the many hills to climb heading north, but..no more Sport/cruise control. Posted my story for fyi to others. :)

OP
OP

Flagg

Badlands
First Name
L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Heading north on 17 from PHX? Steep incline through the mountains? Maybe the cruise couldn't keep up, popped into a lower gear with crazy max revs. Sounds like a transmission issue. Typically if the cruise can't keep up on an incline doesn't the cruise shut off? Best of luck to you and your BS.

My Big Bend has maybe 500 miles on it. I read the horror stories here and I'm afraid to drive it.
You know the drive! No fear, my Badlands is tons of fun to drive, hits the off road in Flag like a beastie, can't wait to get him to Rocky Pt sand! I will be leery of cruise on a busy hwy tho.

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
You know the drive! No fear, my Badlands is tons of fun to drive, hits the off road in Flag like a beastie, can't wait to get him to Rocky Pt sand! I will be leery of cruise on a busy hwy tho.
Sorry, I meant that I'm afraid to drive my BS, worried that it's gonna throw codes and dash lights.

But I do know the drive between Flag and Phx, my parents live in Phx and I road trip couple times a year. Driven it many times at night, can by dicey with lots of traffic, going downhill.

We rented a little campervan a month or so ago, loaded with camping gear, drove from Phx to Flag, with the cruise on. Going up an incline it all of a sudden would redline. Sounded horrible.

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Highway driving to Flagstaff last week, in sport and cruise on, all of sudden it popped out of cruise, RPM's revved, wrench light on with 'Check Manual' light, wow! Turning cruise OFF got RPMS to settle, pulled off at exit, cut engine. Googled wrench light, never seen one before. Not good. Waited, to give computer a breather. Restart, wrench light off (TG), check engine on. Called dealerships (PHX and Flag), no one can get me and my brand new (4200 mi) vehicle in for a week+, and another week for diagnostics etc..I also experienced power lag previous to this, after reading posts yes more obvious in PHX. Blue Dude (Alto) is in shop now, no estimate on when I will hear back. CRAZY.
I had this same thing happen to me this morning. I was starting out in sport mode, and it felt like I lost that boost you get. Next thing you know my cruise control stopped working.

OP
OP

Flagg

Badlands
First Name
L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
I had this same thing happen to me this morning. I was starting out in sport mode, and it felt like I lost that boost you get. Next thing you know my cruise control stopped working.
I haven't had any issues since I first posted, I just dont mix cruise and Sport mode, all gucci!

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Check fuse? I know of other cars where the sport mode can blow a fuse. And cruise stops. Wonder if sport is pushing cruise too much and causing fuse to blow. Just a random thought

Last edited:

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I actually just punched it off the start and it popped up. I tried to use the cruise later and it was engaging. Four hours or so passed and now the wrench has converted to the check engine light, but the cruise control is now working again. I guess I shouldn't hammer to go 0-60 in in 6.5 again :crackup:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
What octane fuel? Min recommended octane is 87, but some stations in mountainous areas sell 85 as "regular."

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I actually just punched it off the start and it popped up. I tried to use the cruise later and it was engaging. Four hours or so passed and now the wrench has converted to the check engine light, but the cruise control is now working again. I guess I shouldn't hammer to go 0-60 in in 6.5 again :crackup:
As someone who works hard to take my m240i to 60 in the 4.2 I don’t blame you! :crackup:

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Funny as it is, that’s exactly when I get a wrench in my explorer as well. When I actually try to get into the turbo. Mine though goes out as soon as I shut the car off & restart it without coming back up again. They didn’t find much the first time it did it, and I missed getting it in after the 2nd time it did it.

Folkman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Just had the EXACT (almost) same issue. Same drive even. We spent the day going to flag, going back to Beaver Creek, then Sedona and we’re on the way back to flag to drop off son at NAU.

power gone, wrench and no power. The phone app said turbo lost boost.

so pulled over and let itrest for15min or so. Then it was fine except for check engine. Now I don’t know what to do to get home ;-/
Sponsored