Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Hey all,

I just wanted to get some feedback and recommendations for some Wireless CarPlay dongles.

also, is a single necessary for CarPlay if you’re using the ATT cellular plan for the car? Is there a way to connect to car play via the cars Wi-Fi?

thanks for help/recommendations
Sponsored

jazzdab

Big Bend
First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
The two main options are CPLAY2air and Carlinkit. I only have experience with the former but there seem to be more folks on here with the Carlinkit unit.

My experience of the CPLAY2air is that it works fairly well but is not 100% reliable. Then again, neither is CarPlay itself. I keep my adapter in the center console cubby but pretty much just use a cable instead.

Adam06

Big Bend
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport big bend
I have this one and it lets me watch my dish app and any other apps you like it also mirrors you phone if you would like. I just hook it my AT&T WiFi and don’t even need my phone

Ford Bronco Sport Wireless Carplay 1200064A-ED33-4785-AE88-C2D8F235D408

Ford Bronco Sport Wireless Carplay 35B709BC-B69A-428E-B567-79BA67CA7C2C

Ford Bronco Sport Wireless Carplay FD307B75-557A-4C41-9F5F-4BA14CED55AD

OP
OP

Pmk1710

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I have this one and it lets me watch my dish app and any other apps you like it also mirrors you phone if you would like. I just hook it my AT&T WiFi and don’t even need my phone

Ford Bronco Sport Wireless Carplay 1200064A-ED33-4785-AE88-C2D8F235D408

Ford Bronco Sport Wireless Carplay 35B709BC-B69A-428E-B567-79BA67CA7C2C

Ford Bronco Sport Wireless Carplay FD307B75-557A-4C41-9F5F-4BA14CED55AD
Thanks for the info. Nice carbon fiber inlays too. I’ve seen them, but not as clearly displayed as your photos.

I’m assuming you have an android phone? I know those mirror correctly via the link you have setup. But iPhone mirroring doesn’t. The dongles I’ve seen to mirror transfer iOS apps into an android platform.

connectivity and such still work well?

Adam06

Big Bend
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport big bend
Thanks for the info. Nice carbon fiber inlays too. I’ve seen them, but not as clearly displayed as your photos.

I’m assuming you have an android phone? I know those mirror correctly via the link you have setup. But iPhone mirroring doesn’t. The dongles I’ve seen to mirror transfer iOS apps into an android platform.

connectivity and such still work well?
No I have a iPhone, the dongle uses android platform. The picture is of the apps that you can download to the dongle. There is a pre down loaded app to mirror any phone (iPhone or android)

ChrisAyyy3

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Sport
I’m using the carlinkit for the last few days now based on recommendations here. I got a slightly longer cable and keep it in the mesh basket on the passenger side of the console. I’ve experienced the typical wireless CarPlay connectivity drops and audio cutting in and out. I think I’m going to keep it. My issue is I just don’t know how well the wireless charging does when also transmitting all that data.

JCOB

Outer Banks
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I use the Ottocast. I bought it in the summer and so far it works pretty well. I will say this though, it tends to be a bit rough to start in the extreme cold of Maine, but once it starts it’s fine.
Also, while it does have a short cord, there is a little ledge just above the USB ports that you can hide it in. You’ll never see it. I also added a wireless phone charger and shoved the wires up there as well. And just in case you need the ports I found a cool 12v adapter that has a USB-A and USB-C ports.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B098Q18K8S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1

Ford Bronco Sport Wireless Carplay IMG_3804

Big Kahuna

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theshockleys.com
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F350, 2012 Nissan Rogue
Pretty cool option, however it seems they are longer available on their site. :(

BourbonBroncoSport

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Sport
I've had the CPlay2air for about two weeks now. It's worked pretty well, had some trouble on Monday but a quick unplug and replug did the trick. As @jazzdab noted, CarPlay itself can be finicky.

I went to The Bronco Off-Roadeo in Vegas [A friend has the Bronco and invited me along] this weekend and played with the Bronco's wireless CarPlay and it had some trouble when leaving and rejoining the car several times (either with the car on or off). So, it's still not a perfect science but I think CPlay2Air is the way to go based on the reviews of the many others found on Amazon.

mshaw

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL / 2019 Rangerover Sport / 2014 F150 FX2
I decided to just go with the latest model available from ottocast:

Ford Bronco Sport Wireless Carplay OttocastU2AIR

Amazon Link
https://www.amazon.com/OTTOCAST-CarPlay-Wireless-Adapter-U2-AIR/dp/B09Q65SX47/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1FWWS02E1VBMN&keywords=u2+air&qid=1646586703&sprefix=u2+air,aps,156&sr=8-2

Plugged it in, paired to phone, and it works. Quick Connect <15s, usually just as the head unit finishes it's boot process, I'll see the SYNC menu for a few seconds then CarPlay. I have only been in and out of the car about 6 times, but so far it's been flawless. The only thing of note is that it does not AUTO play whatever was playing when it last disconnected. The unit is very small and tucks away nicely, it comes with a USB-A and USB-C cable, I used the "C". Will update after a month or so of use.

Cheers.

WinTech

Big Bend
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BB, 2022 Passport, 2023 HR-V
I've had the CPlay2air for about two weeks now. It's worked pretty well, had some trouble on Monday but a quick unplug and replug did the trick. As @jazzdab noted, CarPlay itself can be finicky.

I went to The Bronco Off-Roadeo in Vegas [A friend has the Bronco and invited me along] this weekend and played with the Bronco's wireless CarPlay and it had some trouble when leaving and rejoining the car several times (either with the car on or off). So, it's still not a perfect science but I think CPlay2Air is the way to go based on the reviews of the many others found on Amazon.
I have the same one. Mine will do the same thing randomly where it just keeps trying to connect. Unplugging and plugging it back in usually takes care of it. They are pretty good with the software updates but you have to check manually by typing in an ip address into the browser on your phone. Recently, having siri read text messages or trying to dictate messages would cause carplayto crash and an update to the cplay2air fixed it.

contato

Base
First Name
contato
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
I have a carlinkit and been using it on a Ford Bronco sport sync 3.4 everytime I use hey siri the dongle reboots, I have updated from 2021.03.06 .

Works great until now

thanks!

mshaw

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL / 2019 Rangerover Sport / 2014 F150 FX2
OK...couple week update. I no longer have the unit installed. It worked flawlessly for a couple of weeks. Then one day I was standing outside of the vehicle having a conversation and it tried to connect, I manually switched it back on my phone to the headset audio, and that was all she wrote. The unit never again would work properly. It would connect and carplay would appear on the screen, but any time I initiated a phone call or answered a phone call, the audio would cut out after about 30 seconds of conversation. I am hoping that there might be a firmware update, but have not had the time to check. Will post an update if I have any luck with firmware.

Cheers.
Sponsored