Window Tinting - do you need to remove the factory tint first?

Fredghost

Big Bend
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Total noob when it comes to window tinting and I am looking at tinting my windows by myself.
Would I need to remove the factory tint first before trying to apply additional film to the rear and back windows?
Sponsored

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I personally don't know much of anything about tinting either.

But what I do know is that the dealer I bought my Bronco from tinted every window on it except for the windshield before I bought it. They didn't remove the factory tint because I could see the specifics in the writing on the factory tint. They put the tint on the outside, though, not on the inside.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
You can’t remove the factory tint because it is in the glass, not an applied film.

ESBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Fusion 15 Patriot 03 CooperS 85 F150
Total noob when it comes to window tinting and I am looking at tinting my windows by myself.
Would I need to remove the factory tint first before trying to apply additional film to the rear and back windows?
15 percent over the factory tint and on the front windows. The backs are really dark. A piece of advice, take it or leave it, pay a professional lol! Most reputable shops have computer programs that pre-cut the sheets to fit each window and they have all the specialty tools for the best results. From experience, ANY contaminates on the window prior to install can lead to bubbles and frustration. Regardless, it will work just fine over the factory tint. Good luck, and be sure to post pics when you’re finished!

Ford Bronco Sport Window Tinting - do you need to remove the factory tint first? 73C3FAB3-DA7B-4DAC-B251-1F03B6CDDF91

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None till the sport comes

But what I do know is that the dealer I bought my Bronco from tinted every window on it except for the windshield before I bought it. They didn't remove the factory tint because I could see the specifics in the writing on the factory tint. They put the tint on the outside, though, not on the inside.

are you sure it’s on the outside??? I have never seen tint on the outside of a window.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Absolutely positive. I've checked.
If this is true, it is either a completely new kind of window tint or a completely incompetent installer.

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Just the way it's done in this area.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
If this is true, it is either a completely new kind of window tint or a completely incompetent installer.
They typically size it from the outside but installed from the inside. The film is plastic. If installed on the outside it would be toast after a short time period. Mine has plenty of scratches even being inside after 15 years. I’m sure it’s easier done on the outside so maybe they set the knob to profit.

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Again, it's on the outside and the factory tint is on the inside. That may be why it's on the outside, but I could be wrong.

It's very easy to see it's on the outside. I lower my window where the top is just out of the channel. I look at it from the inside and I can see tint, they around 3MM of window, then tint on the outside. I also ran my fingernail around the edge of the tint on the outside as it sends just at the channel and I can feel the edge on the outside.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Again, it's on the outside and the factory tint is on the inside. That may be why it's on the outside, but I could be wrong.

It's very easy to see it's on the outside. I lower my window where the top is just out of the channel. I look at it from the inside and I can see tint, they around 3MM of window, then tint on the outside. I also ran my fingernail around the edge of the tint on the outside as it sends just at the channel and I can feel the edge on the outside.
The factory tint is actually built in the glass and not a separate film. That being said, it’s entirely possible to put the film on the outside, that’s typically how they size it when installing. It’s just not typical to do the install there as the film is still plastic even if considered ceramic and will scratch. My daughter has been in AZ for 15 years and when we have had it done, it’s always been on the inside. Same as here in the Midwest.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Is there anyway you can link us to some place that gives information on the kind of window tint you got? Maybe the company that did your installation? This is truly a new thing, if in fact the tint is on the outside of the glass. My father owned a window tinting business for decades. I’ve had quite a few car windows tinted in my life and watched it being done to even more. At no time have I ever seen tint applied to the outside of the window, other than for sizing purposes before install.

I know that there is some kind of film that can be applied to the outside of the windshield, sort of like they do in NASCAR. This is not done for tint but to protect the glass.

I had a coating applied to my windshield that makes it harder/tougher. So, it will take rock impacts better and not pit with all the sand we have here. But that is not a film, it’s more like an advanced version of Rain-X.

BTW, my tint installer has a process that he calls “factory edge”. This runs the tint all the way to the edge of the glass, so that you don’t see the reveal line when you roll down the window. It costs a few dollars more but is something I’m willing to pay for.

biglarrr

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
You can’t remove the factory tint because it is in the glass, not an applied film.
That's what I thought, but someone just commented that the tint is on the outside of the glass.
I haven't investigated. I just had the front doors and windshield done. I was satisfied with the tint on the rear doors and tailgate.
Sponsored