Will the Bronco Sport be the right car for all the stress?

AltoAlto

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Focus
Hello All,

I've found myself in a bit of a situation and would appreciate any input. I've spent the last 4-5 days scouring this form, reddit and other interwebs to see what i can learn. But any wisdom you can share, I'd appreciate. Note this will be a frist car purchase outside of the family.

1) I'm trying to gather all info possible to ensure Bronco Sport Outer Banks is the right vehicle for me.
-- What are your experiences so far with them?
-- Confidence level of reliability?
-- Fords support of the Vehicle? (i get that this in many cases will vary Dealer to Dealer).
-- What are the repair bills, if any you have needed to pay so far? (cars probs to new for this....but i'll ask).
2) Car purchasing advice in general in this environment?
3) Anything else i've not considered?

Short Version:
-------------
+ Current Ford busted with no ETA on the part needed to fix (talking months to years)
+ Current car market is.....expensive/limited inventory.
+ Stressing myself out...there doesn't seem to be any great options and i don't want to make the wrong decision for a new car purchase.

I put down a refundable deposit for a Outer Banks, Alto Blue, Premium/tech, Trailer sway packaged 2022 Bronco Sport (Dealer ordered). It had almost everything I really wanted except Copilot 360+ Assist. None of listed dealer ordered BS I've found in CA/within 100 miles include it.....build constraint? I asked what the ETA was, there response was "we have no clue, we will call you when it comes in". They are ~100 miles away, but they do not charge over MSRP, and my parents had a good experience buying from them before. This would be my first new car. ETA is "no clue".

Ford does not know when they can fix the cars they sold (getting a TCM was reportedly a problem even before the pandemic) ....nor can they tell when they can build/deliver a new one that already at the end of the model year Prod Cycle....nor does it seem like they actually care....this is way more unknowns then i like. lol

Long Version (background):
-------------------------
My current, and only, car is a 2013 Ford Focus Hatchback: Titanium Trim, with Automatic Dual Clutch Transmission and 87K miles on the odometer. I keep my cars for long as I can and maintain them well. The plan was the Focus would make it to at least 100K and last long enough (even with repairs) for the current economy to settle down. ....nope! The Transmission Control Module (TCM) failed......well known issue, has a lawsuit.

The part is back ordered, with no ETA from Ford. A internet/reddit search shows a new one will take 6-16+ months (yes, months) to arrive.....because the TCMs crap out faster them Ford is building them.......and this was before the pandemic/supply chain problems. The service center won't even try an guesstimate a time frame and buried it behind 4-5 other vehicles in the back of the service storage lot... No loaners or rentals available. Ford has literally left me stranded....

Fortunately: the TCM is covered under an extended 150K/10yr warranty, I work from home, the grocery store is a 5 min bike ride away, and I can occasionally borrow my parents Bolt for a day or two here and there.

Unfortunately: rental/loner from Ford...fat chance, public transportation in Roseville is....limited, depending on uber/lyft is endlessly expensive, most/all car dealers here charge 10K+ over MSRP minimum for the couple of new cars they have....and charge even more money for a used car. I was not planning on buying my first home AND a new car in the same year..... but here I am.

I liked the Fucus for: its MPG (avg 30-32), decent sound (Sony), good seats, fog lights, decent enough cargo.
-> note: i purchased from my Parents in 2017-ish. My first car a base model 2000 Dodge Neon, also bought from parents.

In a new vehicle I really wanted something:
---------------------------------------
Req: NOT overpay.
Req: reliable past 10yrs/100K miles (that will be hindsight)
>> Really i try and stretch my money for as far as i can get it.
Req: MPG no less then the Focus (or close enough). Most of my daily driving is local city streets and highway.
+ more camping worthy (Eagle Scout. It's been years since I've camped, but i want to get back into it.)
+ tow hitch for my Mountain Bike (getting into that)
+ something good in Snow for the limited times we go to Tahoe during a blizzard.
+ Cargo space for a good Lowes/Home depot visit (4'X8' ply and 6-8' dimensional lumber)
+ something very functional yet fun inspiring.
+ good driver assist (adaptive cruise control/Lane centering)

All my research is manufacture/dealer websites and primary users (forums like this one)

Originally I was heavily looking at getting a Hybrid Maverick.
+/- i know its FWD, but it checked off everything else.
+/- still very new....reused platform...but still.
- no fog lights.....wtf....
- unavailable new/WAY overpriced used. ($50K for a used base $28K Mav...fluff that!)
- no way I can count on getting one within 1-2 years (new/MSRP).

- Fords reputation for really poor QC, poor reliability, poor overall Customer Care (no loaners/rentals even on warranty items )
-- i have now hit every check box in said poor reputation.
+ Media and Stock-Holder wise, Ford acknowledges this and are trying to do better..... maybe....?

Toyota Rav4:
+ reputation to be reliable
+ Great MPG (esp. hybrid/prime)
- hard to find at MSRP.....used don't look much better
- uninspiring.....
- Tech is....seemingly weak.
- Adaptive cruise/lane centering is worthless

Toyota Tacoma:
+ Relatives love them
+ reputation to be reliable
+ they are everywhere, cant be that bad
- terrible MPG
- uninspiring.....
- Tech is....seemingly weak.
- Kinda bordering to big for me.
- i don't think i'll utilize the truck bed enough to justify.
- not sure if it will fit into my basic two car garage...
- Adaptive cruise/lane centering is worthless

Subaru
+ MPG matches that of the Fucas
- terrible transmissions, costly to replace......research stopped here.

Ford Ranger:
+/- 25MPG
+/- i'd really want to wait for the redesign and then a few model years to let the bugs get worked out.
- Same bed issue as the Tacoma...not sure it will be properly used.

I've seen a few Bronco Sports in my area, and they did make my head turn. Found this forum and scoured just about every single thread i've found relevant. For the BS was looking at both the Badlands (the engine) and Outerbanks (the critter comforts).

Outbanks squeaked a win vs Bandlands for me because:
Main: availability - dealer had no unspoken for Badlands.
---> Coin toss if It arrives before the TCM.

+ Slight better MPG (compared to Badlands)
+ premium features available with the navy pier interior (i strongly dislike the ebony/brown colors)
+/- Coming from a non EcoBoost/Turbo. 4cyl Ford Focus...acceleration prob's about the same as the 1.5EcoBoost
+/- the Focus doesn't Co-pilot 360 anything...not missing out there (has rear camera).
- slightly worse MPG then the Focus.

I'd rather not change cars in a couple years for desired features (Co-Pilot 360+ Assist). While possible, I do not foresee the car market staying this hot for the amount of time it would take for a new fully spec'd build to arrive (1-2 years?).

All my options here really stink..

1) just wait for a no ETA TCM (many reports 6-16 months) then:
1a.) Sell to Carmax soon as it operational for most money possible.
1b) keep the car with the fear something else will fail/TCM will fail again within 15K miles/a few months (per reports).

2) Wait a "No Clue" amount of time for a new Bronco Sport...just to test drive it....
3) buy a car i like today, but used, for 2X the price of a new one
4) buy any old cheap dumpster fire that would probs be scrapped in any other market condition, and likely need to dump it in a year or two.

To compound things just a bit....i recently moved and do not have any close friends in the area. The ability to go out and meet people my age....apparently depends on being able to leave the house and do Meetups in Sacramento. Also, If the long rambly post here didn't already tell ya, im going bit crazy being feeling like i'm stranded at home (on week two).
Sponsored

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
I had a 2019 Rav4 Hybrid. Solid 40mpg in town, 30-34 highway depending on speed limit. This was pre carplay/AndroidAuto. Only real negative was the lack of carplay or Android Auto, resolved in later models. I'd rate the engine performance about that of the OB engine, maybe a little better due to the boost from the electric motors. AWD performance would be less than that a BS. The major plus is the dead solid build quality. There was literally nothing wrong, no squeaks or rattles, panel deformations, etc that my BS has. Felt roomier in the backseat compared to my BS.

Why like the BS better, I have the 2.0l and it really kicks sand in the Rav4's face. Better AWD, taller back section for dog, much better storage nooks. Of course the BS is way better looking. And for now there aren't three that look just like at every stoplight. :)

One thing to consider for the long haul, a Rav4 is going to hold it's value pretty well. We don't know about the BS.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
I would cross shop RAV4, CRV, and Mazda and look around.

The Bronco Sport is the new crazy high demand vehicle not easy to get. If you got a low option sport and then special ordered the sport you really want most likely be able to get most money back out when new one comes in.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Based on what I read out of it...this is going to be a rough ride no matter what direction you go. I ordered a badlands almost two years ago, it's been awesome. My daughter needed to replace a 2003 beetle with a very affordable and reliable car, it took forever to find anything in stock and we lucked out with an MSRP Honda. My wife had a jeep lease due and started shopping. Walked into a new Jeep L and cash in hand for the one she returned...crazy. she shopped around near impossible to find something. Every manufacturer is struggling like the economy and parts are hard to come by. Just a challenging time to need a car. That said...take a breath, accept some delays, be willing to take what you can get within reason. So far, sport reliability has been pretty solid from the very small sample here. If you are upright and every little bolt, squeak, and imperfection bothers you...I'll say a prayer now.

kyle_conrad

Outer Banks
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kyleconrad.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
I actually had a 2015 Focus Titanium hatchback before my BS OBX, and while I loved the little car, the BS is such a huge upgrade all around. I actually get almost the same MPG as I did in my Focus, but that's also because I do a lot of city driving - and with the 360+, getting really good MPG on the highway too.

I'll note that if you don't have 360+ on the new one, you're not getting the adaptive cruise control or better lane centering, so you might not want the one the dealership has coming in.

The newer RAV4s are great and reliable, but you're gonna have the same issue as with other in demand models - dealerships don't have them in stock, you can't order them due to the way Toyota handles dealer allocations (so you might never get the one you want), and they're gonna be marked up over MSRP.

I'd also check out some Mazdas, as they have some really great smaller CUV/SUVs that are dependable and with all the creature comforts you would want. Otherwise, I'd look even at ordering one - yeah it's a pain, yeah it's a wait, but you know you're gonna get everything exactly the way you want it.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Hello All,

I've found myself in a bit of a situation and would appreciate any input. I've spent the last 4-5 days scouring this form, reddit and other interwebs to see what i can learn. But any wisdom you can share, I'd appreciate. Note this will be a frist car purchase outside of the family.
You have thought a lot more about your situation than the overwhelming majority of people. You have identified and listed your options, and weighted each according to your needs. Given the depth and breadth of your thought process--which you have thoroughly outlined--I'm not sure anyone here is in a position to offer any useful advice regarding your purchase options. In other words, you are not suffering from a lack of information. I believe you are approaching a condition of overchoice, which most do not find particularly helpful.

I think Mr. Mike has given you some great advice. Since there doesn't appear much you can do at this point anyway, step back, take a breath, count to ten, do whatever you need to do to disengage intellectually and emotionally from the situation for a time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AltoAlto

AltoAlto

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Focus
Thanks everyone for the input, it truly is appreciated. Got some confirmation my research seems to be in track, and really like the advice of hitting the "pause" button.

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I have the Outer Banks as you described but with the 360+. I really like it and I think you will too. There are a few things you have going for you:
- Outer Banks is easier to get than a Badlands
- you are dealing with a dealership your family is familiar with and they said MSRP; normally this is not that big of a deal but it currently is with this market
- you are buying new and this is good in this case because
~ used bronco sport might cost more
~ you have a full 36 month warranty and do not let the finance guy sell you anything else; wait three years and then decide
~ you are getting a vehicle that is in demand so at least in the short-term it will hold its value; unknown long-term but we are all hopeful
- lastly, I hopeful you will not have a long wait since you are doing an OB and those are becoming available in my area; you may want to call some other nearby dealerships and tell them what you are looking for and they might contact you if one similar is coming in

Good luck and I appreciate reading the thought you put into this!

BroncoMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion, '22 BS
Freudian slip or intentional? Either way, hilarious!

BS seems solid for me so far. Unfortunately, there aren't many deals out there right now. I lucked out when an out-of-town dealer called me on a special order that the customer declined once it hit the lot - almost everything I wanted on it, except cargo management and block heater. One I can manage without, the other I can source/install myself. Yes, I had to pay MSRP, but at the time it came in, some of the options were no longer available or seriously backordered. And a line of people who would take it sight unseen if I didn't go right down and pick it up.

Keep looking, be ready to compromise on some options, and be prepared to pony up MSRP for one on a lot. I never give contact info to car dealers, but I did this time - I used Ford's "interested in a Bronco Sport?" link and fielded the first few idiot calls, got them locked into what I wanted, don't call me if it isn't a loaded Badlands, 360+, towing, etc. After about 6 months, it worked and I got almost exactly the car I wanted.

Good luck.

OP
OP
AltoAlto

AltoAlto

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Focus
Freudian slip or intentional? Either way, hilarious!
Lol, Learned that one from my Uncle. I intentionally made sure to have at least one in there. :)

I'll note that if you don't have 360+ on the new one, you're not getting the adaptive cruise control or better lane centering, so you might not want the one the dealership has coming in.
Since I do not have it currently, I can likely get away without having the 360+. I doubt it being left of off every dealer order (i can find really) is a coincidence either. My drives back from Oakland to Roseville are at like 10-12PM; so while it make the drive easier....it could also cause me to pay less attention/underestimate my need for awareness? I'll still get the lane departure feature.

If i do end up liking and getting the 22 BS, i may put in an order for a 23 with the 360+; then trade in the 22.

If you are upright and every little bolt, squeak, and imperfection bothers you...I'll say a prayer now.
I'm not actually, thank gawd. Bunch of kids in the apartment complex i lived at scratched the paint of bumpers of the Focus. I just shrugged it off and went with it adding character. I still haven't gotten around to fixing the roof liner in the cabin. Its coming unglued from the roof....

in the end, the BS looks to just be a fun yet functional vehicle. Also, at some point, the used market is going to have to implode, that's really not going to be fun for dealers.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
To say the least, it's been as crazy as I've ever seen things and I've made several decades around the sun...it's a great vehicle, not without perils. Take a deep breath, identify what you cannot purchase without...I'd argue there isn't another brand leaps and bounds ahead. We searched VW, Jeep /Dodge, Chevy, Honda...all faced the same commodity and wait issues.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Yeah extremely bad time to be in market for any type of vehicle. The global new vehicle car shortage has caused sky high used cars and a sellers market. That car market not getting better any time soon unfortunately....

OP
OP
AltoAlto

AltoAlto

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Focus
Found a local Ford Dealer with a used Bronco Sport Base Trim who were very willing to let me test drive and look over the vehicle; just to see if I remotely liked it or not. Followed up by checking out the Toyota Dealer, test drove a Corolla Cross and a Rav4 TRD off-road.

> Found the 1.5L 3-Cyl. turbo more fun then the Rav4 V6.

> Both Ford dealers I've interacted with were both fantastic - no pressure, no overt attempts to sell, very transparent, happy to help, experienced sales persons with 17-20 years experience selling cars.

> The Toyota dealer was a bunch of 19-20 year olds running around like a bunch of headless happy go lucky chickens. Got their finance people involved when there was no reason to. Really tried to push me into buying. Everything you would think of the stereotypical dealership.

> Toyota Dealer also charges $10K over MSRP and still added $20K of dealer added extra crap. Nearly doubling the upper ~$30K MSRP to~$60K asking.

> Ford Dealer (not the one I'm reserved with) was $5K over MSRP no extra crap. Dealer I'm reserved with is MSRP, and (based on past experience) no extra crap.

I don't have any reason atm to happen to be around other Toyota dealers. At this point I say the universe is guiding me to the Outer Banks, Alto Blue, Premium/tech, Trailer packaged 2022 Bronco Sport (Dealer ordered).

After talking with the parents, I'll keep both vehicles (for redundancy). The Focus, whenever it returns, will be the weekly 200 mile commute car. Allowing the BS to not accumulate as many miles so quickly, and limit it trips to Oakland, Ca.

Now it's a waiting game for both Fords. The Ford Dealer up here did tell me that all/many Northern California bound vehicles made in Mexico are being transported by rail up to the State of Oregon, then trucked down back to CA. Something do with a trucker shortage/strike at the usual offload point - Benicia, CA. (I consider this a rumor, not fact)

I'm also hear rumors of an impending RR-Strike......so maybe the universe is really telling me I really need to get back in shape by using my bike for transport purposes.

First Name
Pei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS 2023 Badland
Hi AltoAlto,

I placed an order for BS BL last week. I am in the same shoes of you but more pathetic. I have to buy a new car before this winter since I live in Canada; in summer, all my destination can be reached either by foot or bus; winter, doable but not preferable.

I have to change my car because my dealer "killer" my current car by replacing three defective engines in a row which cost me a lot; now I am suing my dealer for damage.

I considered many competitors of BS, and I crossed out those look is too general, and power is too week; on my final list, I have Toyota RV4, Buick Envision, and Ford Edge.

Unfortunately, Buick Envision is out of stock in my city, so I only have opportunity to try RV4 and Edge. I feel Edge is less powerful and accelerate slower than BS OB even Edge has powerful engine than OB. For RV4, I do not like interior, plus my head reach the roof when I try to raise myself so my view won't be limited by the hood. I am 5'8" (175cm). Also, I cannot by plug-in hybrid or full electronic car because I live in a condo.

My parents does not like Edge because they feel like that is grandpa or grandma style car; for RV4, they think price in Canada is expensive than China, so it is not worth it to buy here.

Is there anything I do not like BS? Yes, the view from windshield compare with my old car is narrow, and seat is very hard to adjust to correct position. Of cause, the price (you have no idea how expensive the shipping in Canada, and government fees).

I choose BL over OB because I need the power for winter, and occasionally go to the mountain to try entry level off-road.

This is my experience.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Hi AltoAlto,

I placed an order for BS BL last week. I am in the same shoes of you but more pathetic. I have to buy a new car before this winter since I live in Canada; in summer, all my destination can be reached either by foot or bus; winter, doable but not preferable.

I have to change my car because my dealer "killer" my current car by replacing three defective engines in a row which cost me a lot; now I am suing my dealer for damage.

I considered many competitors of BS, and I crossed out those look is too general, and power is too week; on my final list, I have Toyota RV4, Buick Envision, and Ford Edge.

Unfortunately, Buick Envision is out of stock in my city, so I only have opportunity to try RV4 and Edge. I feel Edge is less powerful and accelerate slower than BS OB even Edge has powerful engine than OB. For RV4, I do not like interior, plus my head reach the roof when I try to raise myself so my view won't be limited by the hood. I am 5'8" (175cm). Also, I cannot by plug-in hybrid or full electronic car because I live in a condo.

My parents does not like Edge because they feel like that is grandpa or grandma style car; for RV4, they think price in Canada is expensive than China, so it is not worth it to buy here.

Is there anything I do not like BS? Yes, the view from windshield compare with my old car is narrow, and seat is very hard to adjust to correct position. Of cause, the price (you have no idea how expensive the shipping in Canada, and government fees).

I choose BL over OB because I need the power for winter, and occasionally go to the mountain to try entry level off-road.

This is my experience.
If you just placed an order, you will not get a BS until next year (maybe Feb or Mar). 2023 model year production does not start until November. I’m sure there are already a bunch of orders waiting to be built, since orders for 2022 model year has been closed for at least a month. It will be a winter without a vehicle for you.
Sponsored