What's the worst exterior mod you've done, or viewed done?

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Best we don't post names, but what has been the worst looking exterior mod you have seen on a BS?
Sponsored

Sleddog

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Cactus Grey.
All these script bronco sticks on. I think they look ugly and quite frankly comical. The other is hood graphics.

SapphireCat

Big Bend
First Name
Catie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport

67L48

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350, 2023 BS BL
  • Hood graphics
  • Anything plastidipped (because plastidipped stuff looks exactly like plastidipped stuff)
  • Too many emblems (script, plus bronco, plus custom, plus ... just pick one)
  • Too many exterior accent lights
  • Wheels larger than 17" diameter
  • Rear mounted spare tire
  • Carbon fiber overlays inside
  • Any personalized plate that isn't purely informative in nature -- clever, cute, comical personalized plates are never any of those things. Ever.
  • Anything with a sasquatch logo on it (see note above on clever, cute, and comical)
  • Any undercarriage lighting that isn't white or amber
  • CAI, assuming there is one for the BS
  • Snorkel ... if a person really needs one, then a BS is definitely the wrong vehicle

Sleddog

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Cactus Grey.
The 17” wheel thing is something I could not bypass. They were on the BS and the price was right.

Another worst, those side marker lights.

Uncle Buck

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
https://www.denver7.com/news/local-news/woman-seriously-injured-after-car-rolls-down-black-bear-pass-near-telluride

One of the reasons I decided to look at the BS, actually. If it could survive this fall this intact, I thought that was pretty good.
Thanks for that link, @SapphireCat - I had actually seen that news story back when it happened but I had not realized that it was a Bronco Sport. It is indeed miraculous that the driver survived, but I have to wonder if she would have fared even better if she and her dog had not been ejected. Probably not belted in. Some would argue that being thrown clear was beneficial, but I don't know about that.

I have actually driven that pass several times in years past, but always in what I would consider a more capable off-road vehicle -- first in my '79 IH Scout II, and later in a Jeep Cherokee ('89 XJ). It's a pretty hairy drive and I would not want to do it in our Badlands, at least not without more lift and better tires. I think it would be a lot of fun in the full-size Bronco! I have hopes that some of the 4x4 rental businesses in Ouray will add some of the "big" Broncos to their Jeep fleets.

SapphireCat

Big Bend
First Name
Catie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Thanks for that link, @SapphireCat - I had actually seen that news story back when it happened but I had not realized that it was a Bronco Sport. It is indeed miraculous that the driver survived, but I have to wonder if she would have fared even better if she and her dog had not been ejected. Probably not belted in. Some would argue that being thrown clear was beneficial, but I don't know about that.

I have actually driven that pass several times in years past, but always in what I would consider a more capable off-road vehicle -- first in my '79 IH Scout II, and later in a Jeep Cherokee ('89 XJ). It's a pretty hairy drive and I would not want to do it in our Badlands, at least not without more lift and better tires. I think it would be a lot of fun in the full-size Bronco! I have hopes that some of the 4x4 rental businesses in Ouray will add some of the "big" Broncos to their Jeep fleets.
I've actually never done this pass; when we were kids my mom wanted to go up to Bridal Veil falls and we started up the 2 way section coming up from Telluride - we made it to a pull out and walked up a ways to take some pictures, well before the powerplant (for those wondering - if you're coming up from Telluride, you can't go up any further than the powerplant- it's a one-way from the top down through the switchbacks (I guess the BS driver in the pic missed the signs because they were trying to turn around above the powerplant is my understanding)).

There is at least one person who has taken a lifted BS Badlands over Black Bear; there's a video on YouTube. I asked him if a stock BS Badlands would make it, and he thought you'd probably scrape a few places. I know a few videos are out there of full-sized Broncos going over the pass as well.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Hood scoop, Bronco script lettering, adding items with a horsey on it, cat back exhaust, exhaust burble tune, led tail lights, air deflector on hood, Heritage package, Raptor style lights on the grille, turbo blow off valve.

OP
OP
Bucko

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport

There is at least one person who has taken a lifted BS Badlands over Black Bear; there's a video on YouTube. I asked him if a stock BS Badlands would make it, and he thought you'd probably scrape a few places. I know a few videos are out there of full-sized Broncos going over the pass as well.
In the link, the police officer mentioned this:

"Black Bear Pass is an extremely dangerous road and should only be driven by experienced off-road drivers in appropriate vehicles," the sheriff's office said.

I'm guessing the BS does not fit this criteria.

Last edited:

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Thanks for that link, @SapphireCat - It is indeed miraculous that the driver survived, but I have to wonder if she would have fared even better if she and her dog had not been ejected. Probably not belted in. Some would argue that being thrown clear was beneficial, but I don't know about that.
From the picture, it appears that the passenger compartment is almost entirely intact. There are 2 prominent ways in which people die in car accidents. First would be a high g-load impact, like a head on collision with another vehicle or stationary object. Second would be a failure in integrity of the passenger compartment. Something that in some way allowed the occupant to be crushed. I don't think that in this case either of those things occurred.

For reference, NHTSA gives the Bronco Sport a 5-star crash rating. It only gets 4 stars for rollover resistance but that is a pretty good score for an SUV.
Sponsored