Whats the best Tire traction boards and shovel?

BroncoBrusier

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Hi ALL! Im looking at getting some tire traction boards and a suitable shovel for my Bronco Sport. I noticed on amazon different types of boards from folding ones to roll up kind, to the normal board. What do you use or suggest for these and shovel size to keep on hand?
Sponsored

Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS Badlands, 2019 VW GTI Rabbit ed. 03 JCW MCS
After doing a lot of research (You Tube Videos) I decided to get some ActionTrax, last fall. They are made in the USA but I also felt they were just a little better than the Industry name "Max Trax". Both are expensive at apx $300 a pair but ActionTrax can occasionally be purchased for $260 ish depending on color and availability.

I've used mine 3-4 times now and they worked great and we did no damage to them.

USA ActionTrax seem to be more flexible than other boards as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BroncoBrusier

BroncoBrusier

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
After doing a lot of research (You Tube Videos) I decided to get some ActionTrax, last fall. They are made in the USA but I also felt they were just a little better than the Industry name "Max Trax". Both are expensive at apx $300 a pair but ActionTrax can occasionally be purchased for $260 ish depending on color and availability.

I've used mine 3-4 times now and they worked great and we did no damage to them.
Thanks for sharing, I appreciate it

Jasonj7858

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport Big Bend..22 Bronco Sport Badlands
Believe it or not but walmart sells some instore, everstart brand...in the automotive section called a truck recovery kit, only $79.00
Bought one last night....comes with a shovel, 2 boards, an emergency light, and a recovery strap...not bad in my opinion.

Jasonj7858

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Havent opened mine yet, but will post pics as soon as i can.

Kraken

Base
First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Hi ALL! Im looking at getting some tire traction boards and a suitable shovel for my Bronco Sport. I noticed on amazon different types of boards from folding ones to roll up kind, to the normal board. What do you use or suggest for these and shovel size to keep on hand?
For a good shovel check out a local military surplus store, or they can also be easily found online. For the price an old military one will be way more durable than some Ozark Trail folding shovel from Walmart.

I have a East German one with a nice length wood handle. It was $30 at a surplus store here.

Ford Bronco Sport Whats the best Tire traction boards and shovel? IMG_20220402_215827184

Ford Bronco Sport Whats the best Tire traction boards and shovel? IMG_20220402_215921393

Brissdenice

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport

I was shopping for traction boards too and found out that only maxsa innovation and maxtrax is worth considering. But here in Canada it is 300$ for maxsa an 500$ for maxtrax this is insane. Since I don't plan to strap them to my bs to show people that I have shiny traction boards. I decided to make wooden traction board with 2x8 and nuts and bolts. I'll use paint with sand in it for added traction and maybe other kind of bolt or screw I dont know. All I know is I'm not paying 300$ for traction board or buying Chinese crap that will break first time I need it.

Last edited:

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
You can use almost any shovel, spade style will be a lot better than a flat shovel

Jasonj7858

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Whats the best Tire traction boards and shovel? 20220403_212823
Dont know how good they are since i havent needed to use them yet, but traction boards look really well made and the recovery strap is rated to 20000 lbs, and the work/emergency light is really bright and includes strobe feature....shovel is okay but not used yet....just showing options for $79 dollars, and comes with nice carrying case.

Jasonj7858

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Whats the best Tire traction boards and shovel? 20220403_212836
picture showing shovel

IronMikeGolf

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, BS OB
Worked in Saudi as a contractor for three years. Lots of sand driving (and some getting stuck). We used locally fabricated sand ladders (welder + angle iron + paint). This is not a bling item you carry every day, so if I needed them, I'd weld them up and paint them (or find a bud or shop to weld).

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Man I am serious old school. I just carry a tow strap, a piece of wood for my jack and a shovel to fill in the hole after lifting the wheel up. Doesn’t take up a lot of space.

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
When you're buried in mud, or high centered, a Pulaski (mattock) is a better tool than just a shovel. I dropped my front wheel in a hole and the mattock was the tool I needed to cut a ramp in the hard dirt. A shovel will slide under the vehicle, but you can't pull out much dirt with it. I've had to cut trees out of the way a couple of times to get unstuck, and the axe side of the mattock works for that too. I have a small one with a handle that will come out of the head so it is easy to store. I've used plain 2x8 boards to drive out of sand.

Brissdenice

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I did my own traction boards. Cost me about 65$CAD and I have another 4 feet 2x8 remaining (all they had at the hardware store in 2x8 was treated 12 feet that cost 23,99) that I'll keep as a spare or do a light version to carry around during winter. Not as shiny as maxtrax but I saved 435$ :like: they are asymmetrical because I wanted to try different pattern to see what's work best. Anti-slip tape will probably fly away very soon but doesn't hurt to try it. It stick well though and it is resistant to wet and/or cold temperature.
Ford Bronco Sport Whats the best Tire traction boards and shovel? IMG_20220406_142437
Ford Bronco Sport Whats the best Tire traction boards and shovel? IMG_20220406_142530
Ford Bronco Sport Whats the best Tire traction boards and shovel? IMG_20220406_142543
Sponsored

Last edited: