What would I give up vs a more expensive vehicle?

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Hey all, I just have to start off by saying thanks so much to everybody. I’ve learnt far more reading everything on this forum daily over much of the year, so really appreciate all who have contributed. The time has come to choose a Bronco Sport for myself, and my dog.

I currently have a 2020 Explorer Limited, which isn’t meeting my needs, but was a great introduction to modern cars after my 93 Explorer headed for the junkyard. Heck I didn’t even know how to start a car without a key, but quickly learnt that I can’t do without modern conveniences in a daily, particularly adaptive cruise. My life has changed drastically though this year, so I have zero need for a 7 passenger vehicle, and with that have no love for it or the payments. What I really want is one size class smaller particularly for urban driving, but even driving outside the city to trails & the like can get really congested. I love that Ford is bringing back the Bronco, though I don’t need a vehicle to do that much off roading in, but do need a comfortable daily in a manageable size, so the Bronco Sport (latter day Bronco II?) is perfect!

But having said that, though I’m about to order a Badlands with everything but the moonroof, if only I could figure out the color, I’ve started to wonder what I might be giving up vs. the Explorer. What modern features have I come to rely on that suddenly might not Be there?

1. Heated Seats - is it just the seat pad that’s heated or does it go up the back of the seat too? The explorer, unlike every older vehicle with heated seats, it actually goes up the back as well which is wonderful for an aging body. But I can’t figure out if that’s because the Explorer also has cooled seats, or if that’s just the way heated seats are nowadays. I know I’m giving up the cooling seats & I’m fine with that, I’ve never really used them.

2. Cameras/Sensors - I know the BL has a front camera, one of the things I like about it. But I don’t see any circles on the front that might be sensors. Does it have front parking sensors? In the Explorer, it’ll beep & show green/yellow/red bars for anything you’re getting close to. Maybe the BS only has reversing sensors along with the backup cam. Also the front cam (and actually the back up one come to think of it) in the explorer shows you a picture of the whole vehicle. Does the BS do that? I kind of think with it being as small of a vehicle as it is, the basic backup cam & sensors would be fine.

TL;DR I know, and perhaps these are things I should be checking with my salesman on. But I am curious before I pull the trigger, I’d rather ask up front, know what I’m giving up (other than that I think I’m just giving up a power lift gate & rainbow ambient lighting) before I get surprised & realize there’s something I use that the BS lacks. Ultimately it won’t change my decision to take advantage of high used car prices though to do the best I can to correct my purchasing mistake & get into a vehicle which really will fit my needs for my life going forward. Thanks.
Sponsored

haroldqjr

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
I have the 21 outer banks so idk about the moonroof, you probably can in the 2022 models since it’s an add-on. The heated seats are very nice and do go up the back but there are no cooling seats. With my usage(although minimal) the reverse cam and on coming traffic sensors are just fine. Although it I don’t have the badlands, hope this helps

Reactions: MJE

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Hey all, I just have to start off by saying thanks so much to everybody. I’ve learnt far more reading everything on this forum daily over much of the year, so really appreciate all who have contributed. The time has come to choose a Bronco Sport for myself, and my dog.

I currently have a 2020 Explorer Limited, which isn’t meeting my needs, but was a great introduction to modern cars after my 93 Explorer headed for the junkyard. Heck I didn’t even know how to start a car without a key, but quickly learnt that I can’t do without modern conveniences in a daily, particularly adaptive cruise. My life has changed drastically though this year, so I have zero need for a 7 passenger vehicle, and with that have no love for it or the payments. What I really want is one size class smaller particularly for urban driving, but even driving outside the city to trails & the like can get really congested. I love that Ford is bringing back the Bronco, though I don’t need a vehicle to do that much off roading in, but do need a comfortable daily in a manageable size, so the Bronco Sport (latter day Bronco II?) is perfect!

But having said that, though I’m about to order a Badlands with everything but the moonroof, if only I could figure out the color, I’ve started to wonder what I might be giving up vs. the Explorer. What modern features have I come to rely on that suddenly might not Be there?

1. Heated Seats - is it just the seat pad that’s heated or does it go up the back of the seat too? The explorer, unlike every older vehicle with heated seats, it actually goes up the back as well which is wonderful for an aging body. But I can’t figure out if that’s because the Explorer also has cooled seats, or if that’s just the way heated seats are nowadays. I know I’m giving up the cooling seats & I’m fine with that, I’ve never really used them.

2. Cameras/Sensors - I know the BL has a front camera, one of the things I like about it. But I don’t see any circles on the front that might be sensors. Does it have front parking sensors? In the Explorer, it’ll beep & show green/yellow/red bars for anything you’re getting close to. Maybe the BS only has reversing sensors along with the backup cam. Also the front cam (and actually the back up one come to think of it) in the explorer shows you a picture of the whole vehicle. Does the BS do that? I kind of think with it being as small of a vehicle as it is, the basic backup cam & sensors would be fine.

TL;DR I know, and perhaps these are things I should be checking with my salesman on. But I am curious before I pull the trigger, I’d rather ask up front, know what I’m giving up (other than that I think I’m just giving up a power lift gate & rainbow ambient lighting) before I get surprised & realize there’s something I use that the BS lacks. Ultimately it won’t change my decision to take advantage of high used car prices though to do the best I can to correct my purchasing mistake & get into a vehicle which really will fit my needs for my life going forward. Thanks.
I believe the heated seats are only the pad; you might feel a little on the lower back but that's from heat transfer. The seats get super hot; can not leave it on high for long.
And no on the front parking sensors for my BL; just on the rear. ( I do not have Ford co-pilot 360 tho; not sure if it's a feature on that). But the front camera is super helpful parking and tight spots while not overlanding.
I got the shadow black; looks sharp but gets dirty quickly like all black cars. Catus grey, alto blue, and Kodiak brown are my favorite of the colors so far.
Good luck, overall it's a great/fun vehicle to drive ?

GT1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw x1, 1965 mustang GT convert

I have 21 badlands without 360 plus option package. For rear sensors it did NOT come standard with sensors to detect stationary objects - ie. no round dots on the back bumper. Ford changed the 22 description to reflect this, but it is still confusing to me what comes with the 22 base badlands. What it does have is rear motion detection - ie if a car or person is moving behind you and you back up it will warn you. It uses the same sensors that the blind spot side mirrors use. Tip off is going to be if you see the rear bumper dots - that indicates stationary rear monitoring. The front facing camera is somewhat useful, but again in base 21 badlands there is no warning. Surprising the rear bumper sensors were not included on 21 Badlands, and maybe your dealer will know on 22's, mine did not on 21's. I think the two good options to add are 360 plus (which I think gives you the rear bumper sensor, but for 21 required you to take moon roof - not for 22 now) and tow package - it was really inexpensive compared to adding later. Drove 2000 highway miles in three days in Sept. Very quiet, good riding car - 2L engine definitely the best of the lot in my opinion because the drive train is much more versatile in snow that 1.5L models. Excellent articles on line on how they differ with rear clutch assembly if you re interested in design. Trade off it a bit lower mpg with more linkages in transmission system.

Front seat bottom is heated and easy to control. I have Cloth seats and power drivers very comfortable to me, but passenger side is manual adjustment and at least for me switching drivers every few hours on long trip it was much less comfortable - I think because power drivers seat tilts slightly as you move it forward and back and that fits my back better than manually passenger set that moves without any tilt. If you will be driving long distances with someone in passenger seat I would get the power passenger seat. Depends on how you plan to use car.

Fordfan

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BRONCO SPORT OB

I had a 2016 Explorer Limited. It was a beautiful vehicle but the Sport is way more fun and agile..plus waaaaay better fuel mileage. Only thing the Explorer had over my OB that I can recall is memory seat, front camera, cooled seat,adjust pedals, power steering wheel. The Explorer seat seemed to heat my lower back more.

OP
OP
MJE

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Thanks Harold, Nick, GT1, & FF. That confirms much of my thinking.. I was just thinking about the seats on a long drive home yesterday, & realized I may be giving up more than I think in a trade, but do want the smaller, more agile vehicle for my needs. Funny how I’d forgotten my (though it hardly feels like mine, it was my choice over a used durango, though bought more for my ex, which is probably half the reason it’s time to make a change) explorer probably does even have stuff in it (like memory seats, power pedals & steering wheel) that I’d forgotten about.

I could get all I’ve become accustomed to & more of course if I went for the Corsair instead, but I’m middle aged rather than a senior, so something like that can be the next car after a BS is miled out & ready for the junkyard (as I take most of my vehicles to). I could get more ‘features’ perhaps for the price in an escape, but there’s no denying that vintage loving me really appreciates the bronco nameplate & design of this vehicle. I do think if you were designing a ‘Bronco’ today with similar design mission but modern technology, you’d wind up with something closer to this Bronco Sport/II than the full on ‘real’ Bronco (Which I can appreciate, & may have one day, but isn’t ideal for my daily needs now).

Yes it gives up some mileage to the escape (the 2020+ explorer does get phenomenal mileage for its size out of the 2.3 without lacking power, similar to the BS) but the look, and overall package, is more than worth it. I was fortunate enough to drive this demo back in the spring when my local dealer had one which proved that 1) it’s not too small, but certainly fits urban driving better, and 2) even the 1.5L doesn’t lack for power.

Ultimately though if I’m not price constrained (and I think the numbers should work out alright for me with my sales guy) so I don‘t think I’ll regret choosing the 2.0 of the BL with it’s front camera. Even if my off-roading as a middle aged guy falls firmly in the ‘I still have to drive this home’ and ‘don’t go where I wouldn’t take an escape’ categories of logging/oilfield roads.

Thanks for letting me put out my thoughts in a TL;DR format. It’s helping cement what I really want to order & pay for to have for the next decade or two & beyond. Now if only I could decide on color, or non-color as the case may be nowadays. I’m leaning towards carbon gray but that look is pretty dark overall. Perhaps silver with a carbon gray roof, but the vehicle itself with those black C pillars might work better with a black roof & gray paint to add to a gray grill & wheels (I do favor the optional ‘steelies’).
Ford Bronco Sport What would I give up vs a more expensive vehicle? 96134B16-A8BF-403E-AECD-DAC313F0C755

haroldqjr

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
Thanks Harold, Nick, GT1, & FF. That confirms much of my thinking.. I was just thinking about the seats on a long drive home yesterday, & realized I may be giving up more than I think in a trade, but do want the smaller, more agile vehicle for my needs. Funny how I’d forgotten my (though it hardly feels like mine, it was my choice over a used durango, though bought more for my ex, which is probably half the reason it’s time to make a change) explorer probably does even have stuff in it (like memory seats, power pedals & steering wheel) that I’d forgotten about.

I could get all I’ve become accustomed to & more of course if I went for the Corsair instead, but I’m middle aged rather than a senior, so something like that can be the next car after a BS is miled out & ready for the junkyard (as I take most of my vehicles to). I could get more ‘features’ perhaps for the price in an escape, but there’s no denying that vintage loving me really appreciates the bronco nameplate & design of this vehicle. I do think if you were designing a ‘Bronco’ today with similar design mission but modern technology, you’d wind up with something closer to this Bronco Sport/II than the full on ‘real’ Bronco (Which I can appreciate, & may have one day, but isn’t ideal for my daily needs now).

Yes it gives up some mileage to the escape (the 2020+ explorer does get phenomenal mileage for its size out of the 2.3 without lacking power, similar to the BS) but the look, and overall package, is more than worth it. I was fortunate enough to drive this demo back in the spring when my local dealer had one which proved that 1) it’s not too small, but certainly fits urban driving better, and 2) even the 1.5L doesn’t lack for power.

Ultimately though if I’m not price constrained (and I think the numbers should work out alright for me with my sales guy) so I don‘t think I’ll regret choosing the 2.0 of the BL with it’s front camera. Even if my off-roading as a middle aged guy falls firmly in the ‘I still have to drive this home’ and ‘don’t go where I wouldn’t take an escape’ categories of logging/oilfield roads.

Thanks for letting me put out my thoughts in a TL;DR format. It’s helping cement what I really want to order & pay for to have for the next decade or two & beyond. Now if only I could decide on color, or non-color as the case may be nowadays. I’m leaning towards carbon gray but that look is pretty dark overall. Perhaps silver with a carbon gray roof, but the vehicle itself with those black C pillars might work better with a black roof & gray paint to add to a gray grill & wheels (I do favor the optional ‘steelies’).
Ford Bronco Sport What would I give up vs a more expensive vehicle? 96134B16-A8BF-403E-AECD-DAC313F0C755
You're welcome, I have a shadow black outer banks and I personally call it an affordable g-wagon and am loving every minute of driving it. The BS gets over double what my previous car got (2000 4Runner) and obviously has way more features so I have no complaints at all.

CrashBend

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee / Bronco Sport Outer Banks

We have the Outer Banks with the heated seats. Nice and cozy. We do not have a front camera but it does have the collision alert for the front. It seems to be more sensitive to front corner impact than head on. The lane assist is nice but it is not self driving. It will scold you and tell you to put your hands back on the wheel.

OP
OP
MJE

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
We have the Outer Banks with the heated seats. Nice and cozy. We do not have a front camera but it does have the collision alert for the front. It seems to be more sensitive to front corner impact than head on. The lane assist is nice but it is not self driving. It will scold you and tell you to put your hands back on the wheel.
Thanks for the review! I do suspect the seats I have are much the same, heat itself probably doesn’t go up the back, but that might just be what I’m feeling. After ordering now finally, a BL, I don’t think I’ll be disappointed. I’m surprised though at just how close that lane assist gets to self driving. You can see with more development just where this is headed. I’m getting old enough that the collision alert & all the other 360 features are muchly appreciated. They might just save me when I need it most.

Jill

Badlands
First Name
Gillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Kodiak Brown Bronco Sport Badlands

no front sensors which I really miss as my 2015 Escape Titanium had them!

Jill

Badlands
First Name
Gillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Kodiak Brown Bronco Sport Badlands
no front sensors which I really miss as my 2015 Escape Titanium had them!
Aside from what you’ve mentioned, there is no memory seat option,no integrated garage door opener, and no active park assist (parallel park). I’m surprised that my 6 year old Escape had so many more features than my loaded BL.

OP
OP
MJE

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Aside from what you’ve mentioned, there is no memory seat option,no integrated garage door opener, and no active park assist (parallel park). I’m surprised that my 6 year old Escape had so many more features than my loaded BL.
Arctic pointed out that the powered tailgate was an odd omission, but yes so is the memory seat, though thankfully the garage door opener has been corrected for 2022. Perhaps they weren’t able to program the active park assist right, and I’m sure that would need the front sensors.

I knew I was giving up a few things, but I’m surprised how many are omitted on the BS when as you pointed out, they’ve been available on the escape for years. That was the irony of my order day too, they had a titanium in the showroom with a sticker that had to be $2K less than the BL I ordered, but with every feature anyone could want.

So I know a BS purchase isn’t entirely a practical one depending on your individual needs, as if you’re street oriented, the escape has more, and greater economy, for less. But still, I know which one I think I’ll be happier with 10-15 years from now when it should still be in my driveway.

OP
OP
MJE

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
The rear hatch doesn't have powered open. Which is weird, but I didn't find a deal breaker.
Yes, ultimately there’s more omissions than I really paid attention to as most of them aren’t deal breakers. Even ultimately front sensors, which I’d really have hoped were in there, weren’t a deal breaker or I would’ve gotten an escape that has them. Ultimately I think Ford has still put together the most attractive package possible while keeping cost reasonably affordable.

RLader

Outer Banks
First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Yes, ultimately there’s more omissions than I really paid attention to as most of them aren’t deal breakers. Even ultimately front sensors, which I’d really have hoped were in there, weren’t a deal breaker or I would’ve gotten an escape that has them. Ultimately I think Ford has still put together the most attractive package possible while keeping cost reasonably affordable.
My only regret is the limited towing. I want to buy a boat but will not be able to tow it with BS/BB.
Sponsored