What warranties did Ford try to sell you at signing?

FirsandFire

Big Bend
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I got a lifetime powertrain warranty with mine and it didn't cost me anything. I was out the door for under 30k with my BB off the lot last winter.
Sponsored

Monkey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, F-350, a Tesla, and more...
I got a lifetime powertrain warranty with mine and it didn't cost me anything. I was out the door for under 30k with my BB off the lot last winter.
Many dealerships are offering this these days. Usually they have the stipulation that you have to do all your regular maintenance service with them. Granger Ford who has been been a big contributor to the Bronco community and these forums offers the same. Unfortunately those of us out of state can't take advantage of it. Or at least I'm not doing a 1380 mile round-trip to get my oil changed...

nola4lyfe

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I just got the tire and rim warranty. Only reason I got the tire warranty is because I have had bad experiences with having to get rims and tires repaired. Iā€™m not planning on keeping it long enough to worry about being outside the manufacture warranty.

Rinzler

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I had paint protection, tire package and extended warranty offered to me. Going into the purchase, I stressed the importance of keeping the monthly payment to X. I had little wiggle room. At the time of down payment, the paint protection was called Armor All (only in name). Humorously, I turned it down only for it to have just been rebranded as Triton Protect at signing. ā€œDidnā€™t I say no to this?ā€ Anyway, they made the sale price I wanted, beat my bankā€™s loan rate (with another bank) and honored my D-plan, which is unheard of.
so I threw them the $7/month bone for coverage. No mention on the etching glass anti-theft at this time.
Then came the song and dance with the finance guy on the tire and extended. ā€œWe just had this discussion. I canā€™t move from X.ā€ Signing papers, I see the etching is a line item. Wasnā€™t happy about that. Made it seem like that want optional as the vehicle was being detailed at the moment. Pleasant guy but not a pleasant experience.

Fuzzbear

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, '21 Badlands (RIP), '02 Ranger Edge
When I bought my BL in April, they originally tried to tack on a bunch of packages ā€” a maintenance package, paint package, tires, extended warranty. I ended up saying yes to the seven year warranty, and I didnā€™t realize it until later that the etch thing was still added in (grr). When the car was destroyed five months later, I did get a refund on the warranty for nearly the full amount (minus $100).

Now that I know better, Iā€™ll decline everything when my new one arrives ā€” supposed to be built next week, fingers crossed. Good info here about getting the extended warranty online later, so maybe a small silver lining from having to do this purchase all over again. Iā€™m not looking forward to a repeat of the whole make me sit in the dealership for three hours shenanigans, though.

Wombat

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Leenaya, watch out for the finance dude. Heā€™ll try to get you to get the extended warranty and the silver, gold and platinum service agreements. He wonā€™t tell you that they are totally optional and you can opt out of all those things.

So its been over a decade since my last vehicle purchase, and aside from the fact I have a bad memory I simply told the dealer back then no extra warranties at all. If they still told me what I could get that knowledge was lost in my brain as useless information. Now that I have my sport due to arrive at the end of the month I would like to plan for any types of plans they will try to sell me.

The big one is the extended warranty which would be premium care as I would always go big or go home as they say. But there are probably other ones they think they can sell. Google isn't helpful in this case as I did search but couldn't find anything useful. I think someone on these forums mentioned a paint warranty at one point.

If there are other things I don't know about I would appreciate it if someone who bought a bronco sport could give me a quick list of what was offered so I can think about if I want it or not.

MAJB Retired

Big Bend
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 King Ranch, Jeep Renegade, Bronco Sport
As others have stated - Google search Ford ESP. You can buy it later online often cheaper than the selling dealer. I'm not a big fan of extended warranties. Some people like the piece of mind. To each their own. Don't feel like you need buy it "day of" at the selling dealer.

All the other stuff they like to sell like paint protection, rust protection, etc is all pretty useless. Decline it all. Trust me!

I go into the dealer with a blank check pre-approved by my credit union up to a certain amount. Before going in to meet with finance guy I have them tell me the exact amount to make the check out for. They hate that! It's not personal it's business as the saying goes. They are free to talk about whatever they have to sell however my check is made out.
Exactly the same process for me, an approval from the bank for up to a certain amount and the form for the dealer to fill out to get reimbursed. I go there with a certain price in mind, make the offer and I'm willing to walk if they do not like the offer. I've actually closed two different purchases as I was leaving the dealership.

As for extended warranties, I personally would prefer to leave the money in the bank until I need a repair. Also, I may not keep the vehicle for more than three years. I've purchased over 45 vehicles so far, and almost all have been Fords (several were used) and I've never had an issue where the cost of the offered warranty would be less than the cost of the actual repair. That being said, I have had only two repairs of a Ford vehicle that were not covered under the original warranties.

WinTech

Big Bend
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BB, 2022 Passport, 2023 HR-V
I didn't buy the warranty but if I decide to I will go with Zeigler like I did with my ranger. About half the cost of what the dealer wanted. One thing I did discover that for some reason I never noticed before. I knew within about $10 what my payment should be at a given interest rate. Their payment was like $35 higher than what I had calculated. I discovered that they pad the payment they show you to get you to agree and then use that amount to fit in the extras. I kind of feel bad because they sold at msrp and the margin is pretty small, but not really because I know they are going to make $3-4$k on the Ranger I traded in. Overall I am very happy because my salesman worked his butt off to find a vehicle for me in a dealer trade.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
As a general rule, all extended warranties are "betting against the house". The underwriter has all of the relevant info -- regardless of whether it's a vehicle, a TV, or a washing machine. They know, on average, the typical repair costs over time.

By definition, there must be more buyers who are 'losers' than there are winners for the warranty company to stay in business. Of course, we only hear from the 'winners' -- few people are going to talk about how they paid (say) $3,000 for a warranty and never filed a claim, or only made $400 back.

It is best to be self-insured for everything you can cover financially.

Extended warranties are only good for 'piece of mind'. Financially they are grossly overpriced -- a losing hand.

Bigridge83

Big Bend
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Bronco Sport,ā€™18 Ford Fiesta,ā€™92 Ford Explorer
They tried to sell me the ford extended warranty. I promptly declined, as I do all my own work on my vehicles. He then stared at me like I had two heads. Iā€™m sure I lowered his cut of selling the ford esp! Itā€™s a shame they almost have to scare you into buying a warranty, because ā€œitā€™s $10,000 to buy a new engine if it blows up!ā€ Ours may blow up tomorrow, but Iā€™m going to say that if it makes it to the 5 year/60000 mile warranty cutoff, sheā€™s gonna be alright! Of course that is taking into consideration it has been properly maintained.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Years ago, I was all set to purchase a new car. All the preliminary paperwork had been done, all that was left to do was go into the dealership, sign, and pick it up. I had spoken with the salesman (the owner's son) numerous times and he assured me there would be no tricks/add-ons.

I was ready to sign when I noticed that he had included an extended warranty that I had clearly told him I did not want. He absolutely refused to sell me the car without the warranty. I got up to leave -- thinking he'd call me back -- and he let me walk out!

I bought the same car at another dealer -- same deal, no warranty.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My wife and I went to our local Ford dealer to place an order for a Badlands Thursday evening.

Needless to say, the salesman was really pushing the extended warranties. I told him essentially what I said in post #39 above. He began talking trash about the Bronco Sport -- saying it's not reliable; it's gonna break down, pointing out that the backup camera costs $850, etc. I said that if that camera costs that much and it's out of warranty, it's not getting replaced!

Seriously, none of our current vehicles have any of the electronics the new ones have. Somehow we've managed to survive without backup cameras; lane assist; automatic braking; video displays on the dash; heated power seats, etc.

<Grumpy old man> "Back in my day, cars didn't even have seat belts, no sir. Kids would ride up on the ledge behind the back seat. No power ANYTHING! Brakes, steering, windows, doors, mirrors -- all manual. No electronic nannies either. Music came from an AM radio -- if you were lucky! The shifter was on the steering column -- and we liked it!"

Anyway, the salesman got kind of testy with me over the warranty -- telling me not to come crying to him when the Badlands falls apart 1 month out of warranty and needs thousands of dollars worth of repairs. I felt like saying that if the Bronco Sport is that failure prone, maybe we shouldn't buy it -- but I didn't.

By the way, we found out that the "Area 51" interior is no longer available. You can have any color you want, as long as it's "Active Orange". Ford's "Build Your Own" still shows both...

OP
OP
Leenaya

Leenaya

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
By the way, we found out that the "Area 51" interior is no longer available. You can have any color you want, as long as it's "Active Orange". Ford's "Build Your Own" still shows both...
That's interesting. I waited most of last year for an ebony active orange interior but they didn't make but a handful. Maybe they have a huge stockpile of orange and want to dump it.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My wife and I thought the same thing -- all current buyers are the "dumpees".

As long as production on our Badlands hasn't begun, I'm wondering if we could change the interior to "Area 51" -- if/when it becomes available again -- since it was our original choice.

Another option would be to cancel the order and start over (if Area 51 becomes available again).

It's really 'bad form' on Ford's part to offer something in the build tool (for both 2021 and 2022) and then eliminate it without updating the webpage. Like Lucy with the football -- YOINK!

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
My wife and I went to our local Ford dealer to place an order for a Badlands Thursday evening.

Needless to say, the salesman was really pushing the extended warranties. I told him essentially what I said in post #39 above. He began talking trash about the Bronco Sport -- saying it's not reliable; it's gonna break down, pointing out that the backup camera costs $850, etc.
Huge red flag. I'd place the order with a different Ford dealer. The car's not even built and the guy's already trying to sell you an overpriced extended warranty. Not only that, but the extended warranty isn't part of the process -- it has nothing to do with a special order sent to the Ford factory on your behalf. My gut tells me a dealer playing these games this early on will also try and screw you after the Sport arrives. "Sorry, we added a $5,000 'market adjustment' because you never signed such-and-such..."
Sponsored