What warranties did Ford try to sell you at signing?

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
So its been over a decade since my last vehicle purchase, and aside from the fact I have a bad memory I simply told the dealer back then no extra warranties at all. If they still told me what I could get that knowledge was lost in my brain as useless information. Now that I have my sport due to arrive at the end of the month I would like to plan for any types of plans they will try to sell me.

The big one is the extended warranty which would be premium care as I would always go big or go home as they say. But there are probably other ones they think they can sell. Google isn't helpful in this case as I did search but couldn't find anything useful. I think someone on these forums mentioned a paint warranty at one point.

If there are other things I don't know about I would appreciate it if someone who bought a bronco sport could give me a quick list of what was offered so I can think about if I want it or not.
I second this question. I have never bought a new car before so any advice or perspective would be great.
There are some Ford ESP plans that can only be added at purchase... Ones to think about is the interior or wheel/tire ESP they cover all damage fix or replace no questions no deductible. Extremely reasonable price and they are standard Ford rates on a card hard to cheat you. Full bumper to bumper Ford ESP can also be purchased anytime during factory plan but the longer you wait the more it gets. You can shop for this online, I used Lombard Ford (https://lombardfordwarrantys.com) for my last 2 Ford ESPs.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jenma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport, 15 Mustang GT 50 yr, 22 Corsair
I bought the ESP of my choice directly from Ford. Same plan the dealer sells without the markup. Very easy no hassle fixed price.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
I went in wanting a Ford service plan. At the risk of sounding like a finance guy/salesperson, there is a ton of stuff to break on the car and it will only take one to pay for the warranty. I had already shopped the prices on the Ford plans at floodfordesp and the dealer sold me their brand that had similar cost and coverage from Zurich. We picked it based on the term and mileage. I'd have to look up the paperwork but I wanna say it was $2,900ish for 125k miles coverage. I'm willing to bet three grand is less than one replacement PTU or fancy Badlands rear axle unit or other powertrain item. Maybe two control arms or headlights.

OP
OP
Leenaya

Leenaya

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I suppose I just wont get anything right away. Will have the year for things to break and be fixed at 100% and by then I will know if I want to keep the sport or sell it. If I keep it and hear about major parts breaking I will get the premium care from a dealer online. Everything else I can decline.

Except maybe the killer mutant zombie squirrel warranty. I see squirrels when I get home from work every day in the morning.

Houseof7th

Badlands
First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I second this question. I have never bought a new car before so any advice or perspective would be great.
Read b4 you sign anything! It won't hurt to check twice. I didn't realize till it was too late. They added a $2800 ford premium something idk but it covers a whole bunch of things. On that note I did tell the salesman do what you have to do to get me out of here today and well I was out 3 days later ?

Caliope

Outer Banks
First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS OBX, 2019 Ranger Lariat Screw
Ah, I see. Again, I think it'll be dealer dependent, but yes, some will try to sell warranties for just ANYTHING these days. A Honda dealer a few years back tried to sell me an "electronics" warranty on a new Accord. "For the engine computer?" I asked. Nope. Just for the infotainment system. "You want to sell me a $500 warranty for the radio?" I asked. "Um...yes. Most reviewers say the radios in these cars are not very good."

"So rather than put a decent radio in the car Honda would rather you sell me a $500 warranty? No thanks, I'll just use the $500 bucks and buy a decent stereo."

Crazy!

It is definitely dealer dependent. I have 5 Ford dealerships within a 10 mile radius of my house. However. I drive 21 miles to the one that doesn't push any of the add on crap. They let me buy a extended warranty at cost 1 month before the bumper warranty expires. This is another reason on the list of why I have been buying cars from these guys for 23 years.

Pinski66

Badlands
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger,
If im telling you stuff you already know, I apologize. When you go to pick up you Bronco. You have already negotiated the price when you ordered. The finance guy is going to try and sell you key insurance, tire and wheel insurance, gap insurance, extended warranty, and a service plan. I turned down them all. I like the ford premium care esp, so I did buy it from one of the ford dealers that sells them online.
I would do a little research and find some banks/ credit union that have the best rates in your area and get preapproved with the best one right before you go in. Tell the dealer im preapproved at x% apr can you beat that, and sometimes they do. If you want gap insurance because you have a small down payment / trade, find out what your insurance company would charge. If you want to roll the esp into your financing with the dealer, ask them if they will match the online quote you got. In my experience, they will try to make money off you any way they can. Your goal is to get the car as cheap as possible.

OP
OP
Leenaya

Leenaya

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
If im telling you stuff you already know, I apologize. When you go to pick up you Bronco. You have already negotiated the price when you ordered. The finance guy is going to try and sell you key insurance, tire and wheel insurance, gap insurance, extended warranty, and a service plan. I turned down them all. I like the ford premium care esp, so I did buy it from one of the ford dealers that sells them online.
I would do a little research and find some banks/ credit union that have the best rates in your area and get preapproved with the best one right before you go in. Tell the dealer im preapproved at x% apr can you beat that, and sometimes they do. If you want gap insurance because you have a small down payment / trade, find out what your insurance company would charge. If you want to roll the esp into your financing with the dealer, ask them if they will match the online quote you got. In my experience, they will try to make money off you any way they can. Your goal is to get the car as cheap as possible.
Can skip all that which is good. Paying the full amount up front with a check and don't need any of that stuff you mentioned so I should be good to go. The waiting is the hard part. Soon TM.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
we wrote our 'list of demands' on a looseleaf paper and sent it to our salesperson. we didn't ask for anything crazy; remote start, rubber mat in the rear, extended warranty, lifetime road hazard warranty on the tires, and a few other little things. they came back with nothing except congratulations haha. plus they gave us a couple ford hats as we were off to the beach for our first trip. best dealer experience ever.

extended warranty was the big one. the command start was #2 for our disgusting winters here.

Caliope

Outer Banks
First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS OBX, 2019 Ranger Lariat Screw
For giggles I submitted my trade vehicle - '15 Escape Titanium 24k miles - for a Kelly BB cash offer. Being aware that the offer was too good to be true I went to the dealership that was listed as accepting the KBB offer. The dealership said that they had to make deductions to the KBB offer to the tune of $3,000. One of the items was the "free" warranty that they offer on their used cars. Really, I have to take less for my trade because you "give" the new owner a warranty. They were totally flabergasted that I said no. I can get what they offered at my dealer and be money ahead by paying less sales tax on the new vehicle. End of rant.

Fordfan

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BRONCO SPORT OB
My dealer did the let me sit in show room for hours so I am so tired I will sign anything game. First I had to get them to adjust price down to what was previously agreed to. Then listen to the warranty pitch and warranty cheaper to buy now then later blah blah blah. So I just thank them and say I will consider at later time. Then they yap some more I thank them again and say might buy later. Then a couple more rounds of that they finally allowed to leave with vehicle....
The whole car buying experience was fun until that dreaded "can I tell you about the warranty?" question came out. Then they try to sell you mud flaps and paint protection and blah blah blah. It was 3-4 hours to go pickup the vehicle and sign papers.............i was exhausted !

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
Being a mew model we did purchase the Ford ESP extended warranty , but it was from our dealer we normally use , We purchased the BS about 250 miles away ( only place in the State that had what we wanted ) & we were in for a recall on the wrong Catalytic converter was installed at the factory , so being a new model , & I can no longer really work on this computer on wheels , I don't have to worry about it .Nor does the wife if I'm no longer on this earth .

MaxVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
I think the Ford ESP plans are good, as stated some dealerships really try to mark them up, so shop around. We got our last one online at Anderson-Koch, a dealer in Minnesota. There's other dealers known on-line for offering good prices on these plans.

Be wary of purchasing any third party warranties. We had one on a previous vehicle and the company went belly-up, leaving us with no coverage and no option to refund.

Same idea for 'dealership' warranties, free oil changes, etc. A relative got sucked into that and lost out when the dealership closed and got sold to another owner. All the promises evaporated into thin air.

Monkey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, F-350, a Tesla, and more...
I usually only buy manufacturer ESP plans, so unless the the dealership is offering a Ford plan, it's usually not going to happen. It seems most these days try to offer third party warranties because that's where they make the most money. But it's been my experience that you get what you pay for with these warranties. And ultimately the only ones I've found true value with have been the extended bumper to bumper plans. Everything else they always try to find a way to weasel out of coverage. Many of the cheaper plans only pay prorated amounts if you read the fine print or your coverage benefits reduce over time or at any time you make a claim.

I'll usually buy the Ford bumper to bumper ESP (PremiumCare) if I plan to keep the vehicle and not modify it for serious off-road or such things and if price is reasonable at the time. Prices do go up after purchase and the longer you wait. Price is the same if you buy within the first 12 months or 15K miles.

Against my better judgement, I did buy a third party bumper to bumper warranty on our '21 Badlands Sport from Granger since it was priced decently -- after negotiated down a bit. In retrospect, I should have passed on it. After reading through the whole thing, it's not as good as the Ford B2B and wasn't enough cheaper to justify the compromise. We'll see how it goes... Planning on keeping that Sport for a while and letting my son take it to college in a few years. If I can get 8 to 10 years out of the Sport, that would be great. The extended warranty only gets us to 5 years, 75K miles or something like that, so not great. I can get a small bit of the cost back if we never claim on it. If I remember to request the small refund right before it expires.

We have our '22 BL Sport on order, production now scheduled for 12/13. I'm going to pass on any of the extra warranties for it. I'm buying the BL because I want the 2.0L engine and a couple other little features otherwise I'd prefer a lower trim on this one. It's going to see a lot of off-road/camping use and go all the places I can't or don't want to take my upcoming $80K+ electric truck.
Sponsored