What warranties did Ford try to sell you at signing?

Leenaya

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
So its been over a decade since my last vehicle purchase, and aside from the fact I have a bad memory I simply told the dealer back then no extra warranties at all. If they still told me what I could get that knowledge was lost in my brain as useless information. Now that I have my sport due to arrive at the end of the month I would like to plan for any types of plans they will try to sell me.

The big one is the extended warranty which would be premium care as I would always go big or go home as they say. But there are probably other ones they think they can sell. Google isn't helpful in this case as I did search but couldn't find anything useful. I think someone on these forums mentioned a paint warranty at one point.

If there are other things I don't know about I would appreciate it if someone who bought a bronco sport could give me a quick list of what was offered so I can think about if I want it or not.
Sponsored

BSPittsburgh

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mercury Mariner Premier
I second this question. I have never bought a new car before so any advice or perspective would be great.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Now that I have my sport due to arrive at the end of the month I would like to plan for any types of plans they will try to sell me.
I think this is going to be dealer dependent. Some sell Ford warranties, some sell warranties from other vendors. The best way to get around this in my opinion is to show up with cash. That means if you have to finance don't do it through the dealer. This really simplifies negotiation for you while making it far more difficult for the dealer.

For extended warranties, the typical sale tactic is to show you how "little" a big fat one adds to your monthly payment. When you show up with cash they have no monthly payment to play with. It's a lot easier to sell you a warranty that adds "only $20" to a monthly payment than it is to sell you on $2800 (or whatever it is) to add 40K miles to your factory warranty.

Like most people, I don't like to be rude to someone even when they're trying to sell me something I don't want (which is something sales people count on). My tactic this time was to simply be honest. We've owned Ford products for the past decade and have had phenomenal luck with them. In that time, the amount we've paid out of pocket for repairs not covered by warranty is a fraction of what an extended warranty costs. So that's what I told him. I said the reason he can't sell me a warranty is because Ford makes reliable cars. He made the ok-you-got-me face, then flipped past that stack of materials on to the next thing he wanted to sell. Worked a treat!

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
So its been over a decade since my last vehicle purchase, and aside from the fact I have a bad memory I simply told the dealer back then no extra warranties at all. If they still told me what I could get that knowledge was lost in my brain as useless information. Now that I have my sport due to arrive at the end of the month I would like to plan for any types of plans they will try to sell me.

The big one is the extended warranty which would be premium care as I would always go big or go home as they say. But there are probably other ones they think they can sell. Google isn't helpful in this case as I did search but couldn't find anything useful. I think someone on these forums mentioned a paint warranty at one point.

If there are other things I don't know about I would appreciate it if someone who bought a bronco sport could give me a quick list of what was offered so I can think about if I want it or not.
Basic premise is you dont have to even worry about any purchased extended warranties until your car leaves its actual factory warrenty. So tell the dealer you will be back in 3 years to discuss it then. More than enough time to think about it.

One that Ford dealers do push is Surface Care.

https://www.ramseyford.com/ford-protect-surfacecare.html

OP
OP
Leenaya

Leenaya

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I think this is going to be dealer dependent. Some sell Ford warranties, some sell warranties from other vendors. The best way to get around this in my opinion is to show up with cash.
I don't like payments so I will be paying the entire cost right away. A no deductible premium care package is about 4200 bucks or so I think I read. One site I found in my search about the factory warranty said only the first year is covered 100% and down to 30% for the third year. They admitted the Ford factory warranty is really not very good. If the premium care package is also only 100% for the first few years and not all of them I think its going to be a hard pass.

Its the other warranties I don't know about that I am most interested in. Like "attacked by rabid zombie squirrels warranty" or the like. Though I do appreciate you replying :)

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I don't like payments so I will be paying the entire cost right away. A no deductible premium care package is about 4200 bucks or so I think I read. One site I found in my search about the factory warranty said only the first year is covered 100% and down to 30% for the third year. They admitted the Ford factory warranty is really not very good. If the premium care package is also only 100% for the first few years and not all of them I think its going to be a hard pass.

Its the other warranties I don't know about that I am most interested in. Like "attacked by rabid zombie squirrels warranty" or the like. Though I do appreciate you replying :)
This is your initial Ford Warranty in Ford documents. I use these rather than what others say on websites.

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content/dam/brand_ford/en_us/brand/resources/general/pdf/guides/2021-Ford-Car-LT-Truck-Hybrid-Warranty-version-2_frdwa_EN-US_07_2020.pdf

Seriously, you dont need to get anything until 3 years unless you want Surface Care. It is a waste to do so. Then when you do there is a Ford dealer in the US that sells the extended Ford Warranty’s at cost Cheaper than your dealer most likely. Many people use them to purchase their warrantys

https://www.floodfordesp.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI68PNsqX56wIVoCCtBh1tsQKNEAAYASAAEgKzefD_BwE

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
My dealer did the let me sit in show room for hours so I am so tired I will sign anything game. First I had to get them to adjust price down to what was previously agreed to. Then listen to the warranty pitch and warranty cheaper to buy now then later blah blah blah. So I just thank them and say I will consider at later time. Then they yap some more I thank them again and say might buy later. Then a couple more rounds of that they finally allowed to leave with vehicle....

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
My dealer did the let me sit in show room for hours so I am so tired I will sign anything game. First I had to get them to adjust price down to what was previously agreed to. Then listen to the warranty pitch and warranty cheaper to buy now then later blah blah blah. So I just thank them and say I will consider at later time. Then they yap some more I thank them again and say might buy later. Then a couple more rounds of that they finally allowed to leave with vehicle....
Hahahaha. Had the same thing once. We bought the car for CASH and we were still stuck with the finance guys…yadda yadda warranty…….

OP
OP
Leenaya

Leenaya

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Fortunately the company I work for is an x-plan member. The dealer signed off on the x-plan price and gave me a copy. If they try to change the price of anything on me I can be Gandalf and firmly tell them their changes cannot pass and bang on the table hard enough to shake the roof down :)

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Fortunately the company I work for is an x-plan member. The dealer signed off on the x-plan price and gave me a copy. If they try to change the price of anything on me I can be Gandalf and firmly tell them their changes cannot pass and bang on the table hard enough to shake the roof down :)
Even funnier…

When your dealer says “OK the price is X” (x being higher than agreed on)
You respond great “Y it is” (Y being the price you originally agreed on)
Dealer” No I said the price is X”
You “Great, Y it is. Let’s do the paperwork”
Dealer: “Here is the paper with X”
You: Cross out X and put in Y
Dealer: So pissed they just want you to leave.. “FINE! Y it is!” :cwl: :cwl: :cwl: :cwl:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Ah, I see. Again, I think it'll be dealer dependent, but yes, some will try to sell warranties for just ANYTHING these days. A Honda dealer a few years back tried to sell me an "electronics" warranty on a new Accord. "For the engine computer?" I asked. Nope. Just for the infotainment system. "You want to sell me a $500 warranty for the radio?" I asked. "Um...yes. Most reviewers say the radios in these cars are not very good."

"So rather than put a decent radio in the car Honda would rather you sell me a $500 warranty? No thanks, I'll just use the $500 bucks and buy a decent stereo."

Crazy!

Pinski66

Badlands
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger,
I agree with you getting the ford premium care. Just wanted to make sure you were aware that there are ford dealers that offer ford warranties online at much cheaper prices than the dealer. You can google Zeigler, Flood, and Lombard ford esp and you can check them out. I bought a ranger in august and Zeigler was the cheapest at the time. If you dont use their financing they have a code for 250.00 off. Worked out great for me, I paid 2125.00 for 8year/125,000 mile premium care, 50.00 deductible. It showed up in the ford pass app the next day. When the Wife's sport shows up, I will price all 3 for her. They were way cheaper than what the dealers prices.

Beav1

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS, 2018 F150, 2014 Focus, 2013 Escape
As others have stated - Google search Ford ESP. You can buy it later online often cheaper than the selling dealer. I'm not a big fan of extended warranties. Some people like the piece of mind. To each their own. Don't feel like you need buy it "day of" at the selling dealer.

All the other stuff they like to sell like paint protection, rust protection, etc is all pretty useless. Decline it all. Trust me!

I go into the dealer with a blank check pre approved by my credit union up to a certain amount. Before going in to meet with finance guy I have them tell me the exact amount to make the check out for. They hate that! It's not personal it's business as the saying goes. They are free to talk about whatever they have to sell however my check is made out.

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
Finance manager tried to sell me an extended warranty, which I declined. They got me on 'EtchCare' though. The finance manager made it sound like it was included, and I missed the $300 charge on the invoice. These guys put on quite the performance when you're signing paperwork in hopes of sliding something past you.

Over a multi-year note, $300 isn't much, and buyers are inundated with paperwork so a small charge like that is easy to miss, especially if you haven't purchased a new car in a long time.

Once I realized what happened, I canceled EtchCare and got my money back. I imagine this is quite the money-maker for dealerships too. Glad I learned my lesson without any real cost.
Sponsored

Last edited: