What tires should I get for my soon to be delivered badlands? What are you getting?

Freeskierdude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 CRV
I didn't end up getting the "steelie wheel" or the Falken tires for my BL. I'm going to upgrade my tires as I pick up the vehicle. I live in Oregon and driving over the snowy passes with non-snowflake-rated tires is illegal. I was planning to get a set of Michelin Crossclimate 2's. However, they only offer that tire in 235/65/R17 and not the size the 225/65/R17 Pirelli tire it comes with. I know this is a silly question but should I do this? or should I go with a tire that exactly matches the stock tires? Will I see any tradeoffs or incompatibilities with getting the larger tire on stock BL rims? Any recommendations on tires you prefer with the snowflake (3PMSF) rating? Will the Crossclimate 2's be thick enough when I take it on forest service roads in the spring?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Freeskierdude

Freeskierdude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 CRV
Do it. The standard wheel can also be built with the optional falken tire which is 235 65 r17. My point is many people will have that size tire on the standard wheel from the factory. All the systems are calibrated to work as intended with this size tire. Maybe Iā€™m misinterpreting your question though
Ford Bronco Sport What tires should I get for my soon to be delivered badlands? What are you getting? 6F42AB78-5CA7-442B-A66B-F17B5599351A
The big thing I'm worried the 235's are going to be too wide and affect my snow and gas mileage performance. I have 225's on my current car and they cut nicely into the snow. Seeing comparison photos of 225 vs 235 width looks pretty drastic in some photos I'm finding. I think you interpreted my question pretty well.

Elboy

Badlands
First Name
Elden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
in the same predicament. i thought I had on order the optional 'steelies' with the wildpeaks, but i had mistakenly confirmed the order when it wasnt listed. So here I am with the standard wheels and tires. Not that I hate the Pirellis but I really wish I had the Wildpeak AT3Ws on them.

Looking for the wildpeaks online, i'm having trouble finding Wildpeak A/T3Ws for 235/65/r17 but am finding Wildpeak A/T trails, which I dont believe are the ones Ford put as the optional tire.

OP
OP
Freeskierdude

Freeskierdude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 CRV
in the same predicament. i thought I had on order the optional 'steelies' with the wildpeaks, but i had mistakenly confirmed the order when it wasnt listed. So here I am with the standard wheels and tires. Not that I hate the Pirellis but I really wish I had the Wildpeak AT3Ws on them.

Looking for the wildpeaks online, i'm having trouble finding Wildpeak A/T3Ws for 235/65/r17 but am finding Wildpeak A/T trails, which I dont believe are the ones Ford put as the optional tire.
If you look at the tread differences between those two Falken tires it looks like Ford is using the A/T trails. It's subtle. If it helps my friend recently got wild peak a/t trails for his RAV4 and he loves them so far

OP
OP
Freeskierdude

Freeskierdude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 CRV
? Iā€™m thinking the wider the better for snow. Thinner is better for gas mileage. If itā€™s a big difference you could always put the 225 back on for summer ha
Generally, thinner is actually better for driving on snow-covered roads. Less float. So I just looked up via Tire Rack the true tread differences between my current cooper 225mm tire and the Michelin crossclimate2's 235mm. the 235mm is 0.3 inches wider. I think I'm very comfortable now going with the 235mm on my BL. I live in a tiny apartment with no storage so I need a one tire fits all package.. If I had the room I would absolutely keep the Pirelli's for the summer

OP
OP
Freeskierdude

Freeskierdude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 CRV
that makes more sense, thin to carve thick to float. Thanks. Here Iā€™m thinking more rubber more grip but you need to rip through the snow first gotcha
I thought the same thing for the longest time. Snow is really weird. for example a tire that is flat but has a million sips will outperform a knobby mud-terrain tire in snowy road conditions any day. Kinda the opposite of what normal logic

Elboy

Badlands
First Name
Elden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
I thought the same thing for the longest time. Snow is really weird. for example a tire that is flat but has a million sips will outperform a knobby mud-terrain tire in snowy road conditions any day. Kinda the opposite of what normal logic
what iā€™ve also heard when it comes to those conditions is the thicker the tire, the more tire your car will have to push through with. What matters more is the contact patch that runs parallel with the car. think how long the contact patch on military tank tracks are. just my 2c, iā€™m no veteran off-roader by any means

dano0726

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Wrangler
The Falken Wildpeaks AT3W's are the best rain tire I've ever had on any vehicle -- my Jeep Wrangler rocks them now...

DakotaTimber

Badlands
First Name
DakotaTimber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL + BL, 360+, tow +
I am doing the same thing with the same Michelin cross climate2's. When I ordered I asked the dealer which tires they would credit me in trading to the crossclimate2's. They wanted the Falken Wildpeaks. I am getting the BS BL with BL and really wanted all seasons that are good in the snow for the and fairly quiet for the other 95%. My BS isn't to get to the wild, it to get home when the weather gets wild. 95% or its life will be on secondary highways and I could have gotten any vehicle for that. It's the other 5% when it's snowing side ways so hard that your lights are blinding you and you got go because someone's in trouble.

As previously pointed out, the Falken are the same size. Being you got the smaller tires make sure the dealer adjust speedometer as you will have 13 fewer revolutions of the tire in a mile. 708 to 695. In the old days you changed a gear, today its a setting in the computer.

OP
OP
Freeskierdude

Freeskierdude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 CRV
I am doing the same thing with the same Michelin cross climate2's. When I ordered I asked the dealer which tires they would credit me in trading to the crossclimate2's. They wanted the Falken Wildpeaks. I am getting the BS BL with BL and really wanted all seasons that are good in the snow for the and fairly quiet for the other 95%. My BS isn't to get to the wild, it to get home when the weather gets wild. 95% or its life will be on secondary highways and I could have gotten any vehicle for that. It's the other 5% when it's snowing side ways so hard that your lights are blinding you and you got go because someone's in trouble.

As previously pointed out, the Falken are the same size. Being you got the smaller tires make sure the dealer adjust speedometer as you will have 13 fewer revolutions of the tire in a mile. 708 to 695. In the old days you changed a gear, today its a setting in the computer.
Oh wow, that's funny we are going to do the same plan. Do you think my dealer will want to buy back the pirelli's? How much money for each tire do you think I should get?

Elboy

Badlands
First Name
Elden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Oh wow, that's funny we are going to do the same plan. Do you think my dealer will want to buy back the pirelli's? How much money for each tire do you think I should get?
wondering about the ā€˜buybackā€™ or maybe credit too. iā€™m wanting to upgrade my tires from the pirellis but donā€™t know what to do with perfectly new tires. i donā€™t want to store them

OP
OP
Freeskierdude

Freeskierdude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 CRV
wondering about the ā€˜buybackā€™ or maybe credit too. iā€™m wanting to upgrade my tires from the pirellis but donā€™t know what to do with perfectly new tires. I donā€™t want to store them
My partner bought a Tacoma and needed to upgrade her tire to something more puncture proof. Drove a total of about 250 miles on the tires and Les Shwab bought them for 40 bucks a piece. They were basically brand new but they drove on them they considered them used. I want to get new tires at the dealer because they absolutely know the Pirelli's will be 99% brand new and maybe give more than 40 bucks a tire? idk, we shall see in a few weeks once I pick them up.

DakotaTimber

Badlands
First Name
DakotaTimber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL + BL, 360+, tow +
Not sure which pirelli's you got but tirerack has SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS II - SIZE: 225/65R17 at $142.30 I would hope they would give you $100 a tire in trade and be super happy at $110. Do you have four or five of the pirelli's? Also remember that the crossclimate2's are directional tires. So you are buying four and figuring out what to do for the full spare spare. I was planning on a non-directional Mich all season of the same size for a spare.

Anybody out there know for sure what the spare is when you get the Falken WPs?
Sponsored