What NAV do you use when no network available?

RRD

Badlands
First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands - Area 51 "Bad Alien"
So while driving around this week in the mountains my phone lost all cell signal about 1/3 way to the trails. In my Taco I had built-in Nav so it was not an issue however my BS OB does not.

What do you guys all use for trails/mountain driving when you have no cell coverage? I thought Google Maps would be smart enough to download the map at where you were going, apparently it is not. Fortunately I was not going deep trail driving so I kept my baring's while off-road but I do not want to push my luck and there is always that moment you can get confused on what turn you took.
Sponsored

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
So while driving around this week in the mountains my phone lost all cell signal about 1/3 way to the trails. In my Taco I had built-in Nav so it was not an issue however my BS OB does not.

What do you guys all use for trails/mountain driving when you have no cell coverage? I thought Google Maps would be smart enough to download the map at where you were going, apparently it is not. Fortunately I was not going deep trail driving so I kept my baring's while off-road but I do not want to push my luck and there is always that moment you can get confused on what turn you took.
There are some apps you can buy and then be able to download OHV trails and what not.

I want to buy this; but can't get the wife to agree to the price

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/685257/pn/010-02195-00?gclid=CjwKCAjwn8SLBhAyEiwAHNTJbfrx89FOC7_0bmjMmlbh7XaCniUZLawY8RamO_aw9_NvfcfwcGu6UhoCy7UQAvD_BwE

OP
OP
RRD

RRD

Badlands
First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

ScareCrow

Badlands
First Name
Burl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS/Badlands

If your using google maps, you should be able to download that area to your phone ahead of time. Google map downloads.

Google Map Downloads

OP
OP
RRD

RRD

Badlands
First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If your using google maps, you should be able to download that area to your phone ahead of time. Google map downloads.

Google Map Downloads
Oh that is a nice feature. I will use that in the future but thinking I like the ability to have a GPS that has all the maps already installed with a focus on trails/off-road like the one linked above.

OP
OP
RRD

RRD

Badlands
First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone ever use Gaia GPS? It seems to work with Carplay, which would be a requirement and Onx Offroad does not seem to support... for whatever reason.

ODucksfan17

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport OB
Anyone ever use Gaia GPS? It seems to work with Carplay, which would be a requirement and Onx Offroad does not seem to support... for whatever reason.
I use Gaia GPS. It's an excellent app and great with CarPlay. I don't have the premium option, but there are a ton of good free map layers you can use. Here are some of the map layers for off-road use:

https://www.gaiagps.com/maps/offroad/

Another offline CarPlay navigation app I use is Sygic.

EDIT: Forgot to add you need to pay for premium to download offline maps with Gaia. I used to have it but I don't have it currently.

Last edited:

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
I plan on giving these two a try when I get to that point, Gaia and Onx.

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
Don't use NAV. I use my GPS. More accurate, no dead spots, and leave the main screen for other things
Ford Bronco Sport What NAV do you use when no network available? GPS1

OP
OP
RRD

RRD

Badlands
First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't use NAV. I use my GPS. More accurate, no dead spots, and leave the main screen for other things
Ford Bronco Sport What NAV do you use when no network available? GPS1
Which Magellan is that? I looked at one that looked like that but everyone was sold out.

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
Which Magellan is that? I looked at one that looked like that but everyone was sold out.
It's a Garmin. I have two with 7" screens. Garmin RV780 and a less expensive Garmin DriveSmart 65. Both also display the Garmin backup camera on the rear of my camper.

OP
OP
RRD

RRD

Badlands
First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's a Garmin. I have two with 7" screens. Garmin RV780 and a less expensive Garmin DriveSmart 65. Both also display the Garmin backup camera on the rear of my camper.
Do both show off-road trails? Forest roads, etc?

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
Do both show off-road trails? Forest roads, etc?
They show some topography but wouldn't use them for off roading. I use the RV 780 for towing. I've sometimes used Gala GPS (app) on my phone for backcountry.

OP
OP
RRD

RRD

Badlands
First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They show some topography but wouldn't use them for off roading. I use the RV 780 for towing. I've sometimes used Gala GPS (app) on my phone for backcountry.
Yeah I think I might just bite the bullet and get the Garmin Overlander

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
So for road trips, I download off Google maps. You can download huge areas. I have all the West Coast download on my phone.

For trail maps I use Gaia and a tablet I got off of Craigslist for 70 bucks. That's a really good budget option and works great. You just need to make sure the tablet has GPS.
Sponsored