Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
I've always looked into drones but I've never gone through with purchasing one. What drones are you all using, and what would you recommend? I would be using it for the BS obviously, but also trips to the beach, family gatherings, backyard pool days, etc.

I know @Nam3 is using the DJI Mini 3 Pro and that looks very nice.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Elegance

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I'm a UAS pilot for the federal government. I'll recommend DJI as a hobbyist drone 95% of the time. The mini is great, the Mavic line is great, you really can't go wrong with anything DJI makes for aerial photography and videography. I wish I could still use them for basic tasks at work, but we can't use anything made outside of the U.S. anymore.

OP
OP
Jmuns

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
This is my 3rd drone. The first one my sister got me for Christmas and I immediately went outside to see how high it could go, and it literally flew away from me and I never saw it again. My second drone was a Holy Stone with GPS which I figured is a must after what happened to me the first time. This one was cool because it had a return to home feature and I learned a lot about what not do to while crashing it. I eventually crashed it enough that it wouldn't connect to GPS anymore which made it useless.

Then I did some researching and landed on the DJI Mini 3 Pro. The reason I chose it was mainly the features you get for the price, and it's weight. It's light enough that you don't need to register it to fly it for fun. Honestly the DJI was a complete game changer. It makes it look like you know what you're doing with very little effort. I'm having a blast with it. You can make videos look half way decent as long as the people watching them don't know any better.

Detour - YouTube
Yea I watched all your videos before posting. Looks great. Are you using the DJI RC-N1 or the DJI RC. Does it make a difference in the end?

OP
OP
Jmuns

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
I'm a UAS pilot for the federal government. I'll recommend DJI as a hobbyist drone 95% of the time. The mini is great, the Mavic line is great, you really can't go wrong with anything DJI makes for aerial photography and videography. I wish I could still use them for basic tasks at work, but we can't use anything made outside of the U.S. anymore.
Thank you. I'm leaning towards the mini for size and portability mainly. Mavic line looks cool but I think it's more drone than I need or am ready for.

Chook

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DJI Mini 3 Pro. Best features for the money. And like Nam3 said, get the Fly More Kit and some ND filters. Just got back from Utah and couldn't be happier with it.

Ford Bronco Sport What is a good beginner drone? DJI_0015-HDR

Ford Bronco Sport What is a good beginner drone? DJI_0018-HDR

Ford Bronco Sport What is a good beginner drone? DJI_0069-HDR

Ford Bronco Sport What is a good beginner drone? DJI_0097-HDR

Ford Bronco Sport What is a good beginner drone? DJI_0104-HDR

Ford Bronco Sport What is a good beginner drone? DJI_0135-HDR

Ford Bronco Sport What is a good beginner drone? DJI_0142-HDR

Ford Bronco Sport What is a good beginner drone? DJI_0163-HDR

Ford Bronco Sport What is a good beginner drone? DJI_0191-HDR

Ford Bronco Sport What is a good beginner drone? DJI_0203-HDR

Ford Bronco Sport What is a good beginner drone? IMG_8619.JPG

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Shadow Black Badlands
I've always looked into drones but I've never gone through with purchasing one. What drones are you all using, and what would you recommend? I would be using it for the BS obviously, but also trips to the beach, family gatherings, backyard pool days, etc.

Thanks in advance!
DJI Mini 3 Pro
It's a bit on the expensive side compared to others, but with the front and rear collision sensors, it is a good value IMO.
I also like the option of the controller with built-in display, rather than using one's cell phone and some add-on software. Yeah, that optional controller adds a bunch more money, bring the cost up to $1K US.
The small size also makes it convenient for travel, without taking up too much luggage space.

wireman

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
DJI Mini 3 Pro. Best features for the money. And like Nam3 said, get the Fly More Kit and some ND filters. Just got back from Utah and couldn't be happier with it.

Ford Bronco Sport What is a good beginner drone? DJI_0015-HDR

Ford Bronco Sport What is a good beginner drone? DJI_0018-HDR

Ford Bronco Sport What is a good beginner drone? DJI_0069-HDR

Ford Bronco Sport What is a good beginner drone? DJI_0097-HDR

Ford Bronco Sport What is a good beginner drone? DJI_0104-HDR

Ford Bronco Sport What is a good beginner drone? DJI_0135-HDR

Ford Bronco Sport What is a good beginner drone? DJI_0142-HDR

Ford Bronco Sport What is a good beginner drone? DJI_0163-HDR

Ford Bronco Sport What is a good beginner drone? DJI_0191-HDR

Ford Bronco Sport What is a good beginner drone? DJI_0203-HDR

Ford Bronco Sport What is a good beginner drone? IMG_8619.JPG
Great photos. Looks like these are taken in Monument Valley. Just curious for those of you using drones, what are the regulations for using them in national parks, etc?

Chook

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Valley of the Gods and Bronco Off-Rodeo.

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Shadow Black Badlands

Thanks in advance!
A couple more things to note: Check on local regulations for drone flying.
I live in a county and municipality which totally restricts drone flying to one's own property unless having specific permission from the property owner. No drone flying in State parks, public parks, crossing roads, nor above people. Your State and local regs may be more forgiving.
I am limited to flying above my own house, and still, a couple of neighbors threatened to call the cops.
Let them, I am legal, and FAA licensed and only fly above my own property. One must take a simple online course for drone flying, pass a test for flying any drone, even toys, that weighs above 250 grams.
Sponsored