What GOAT mode do you use if you don’t have the Badlands?

ryno8756

Big Bend
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I have a BB, which does not have the Mud/Rut or Rock Crawl modes. If I were to drive through mud or over rocks, what mode would be best?
Sponsored

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I have a BB, which does not have the Mud/Rut or Rock Crawl modes. If I were to drive through mud or over rocks, what mode would be best?
I wouldn't drive the other trims over rocks; they don't have the skid plates, suspension, and the intercooler.

GoatsyBanks

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Even though we don't have the bash plates you can still take it easy and focus on choosing the right line with good wheel placement. I can't remember ever bottoming out off road in the past no matter what I'm driving.
I haven't spent a ton of time off road in the BS yet but from what I've read I am going to use normal mode, in low "L" gear with the traction control off.
People have been saying sand mode should only be used for beaches and deep snow... I was going to try it if i get in some slippery mud.
Im definitely interested in any input someone might have

Last edited:

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Sand Goat is for sand, leave that one alone unless your in deep sand.
Use Slippery if you got loose stuff to traverse, snow, ice, steep gravel, slick grass, leaves.
Mine worked well climbing wet rocks and slippery Georgia clay

Other than that Use LOW as this is better for the engine. Helps keep the engine up into the power band where the turbo starts pushing well at 1700 rpm.
No bash plates means damage sooner or later in the rocks and chunky stuff.
One in here already tore off some plastic stuff thinking he had a purpose built off roader.
I'm not putting my baby Bronco thru that kinda stuff.

BamaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I haven't spent a ton of time off road in the BS yet but from what I've read I am going to use normal mode, in low "L" gear with the traction control off.
I'm not sure how it is on the OB, but on my BB, I do not have a traction control button to turn it on/off. To my understanding, the only way to turn off traction control on non-BL trims is to use Sand mode. Obviously, the BL and FE do have a traction control button on the center console next to the G.O.A.T modes selector.

If anyone knows how to turn off traction control on non-BL trims without using Sand mode, let me know.

BamaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I'm not sure how it is on the OB, but on my BB, I do not have a traction control button to turn it on/off. To my understanding, the only way to turn off traction control on non-BL trims is to use Sand mode. Obviously, the BL and FE do have a traction control button on the center console next to the G.O.A.T modes selector.

If anyone knows how to turn off traction control on non-BL trims without using Sand mode, let me know.
I may have just found an answer to my own question. The owner's manual says the following:

"You can switch the system off by either using the information display controls or the switch."

I'll have to check the information display in my tach/speed cluster to find it next time I drive.

ltober20

Outer Banks
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
I may have just found an answer to my own question. The owner's manual says the following:

"You can switch the system off by either using the information display controls or the switch."

I'll have to check the information display in my tach/speed cluster to find it next time I drive.
In my OB I have turned traction control on and off within the vehicle settings on the touchscreen display. Makes sliding around in snow alot more fun

BamaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
In my OB I have turned traction control on and off within the vehicle settings on the touchscreen display. Makes sliding around in snow alot more fun
Ok, so that's where you do it. Good to know, thanks! I always wondered why there was not a physical button to turn off traction control, since most vehicles do have that.

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
Even though we don't have the bash plates you can still take it easy and focus on choosing the right line with good wheel placement. I can't remember ever bottoming out off road in the past no matter what I'm driving.
People have been saying sand mode should only be used for beaches and deep snow... I was going to try it if i get in some slippery mud.
Im definitely interested in any input someone might have
That's the way for most offroad situations that the lower trims can handle.

I do recommend skid plates for any serious trails.

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Toyota Prius AWDe
Speaking of skid plates, it may be worth walking away from the truck after market if you want them and seek out local rally clubs.
No matter what the marketing hype and wishful thinking says, the bronco sport is not an off road vehicle in the same sense that off road trucks are. What it is is a rough road vehicle like a gravel road spec rally car is right out of the box. The clutch diff in the badlands comes from Ford’s car division and is used in their rally cars. Rally tuners are much more used to making things that work with unibody designs like our wee trucks have. They may be a good source to find what you are looking for as far as skid plates go. That is my plan anyhow once I have a couple grand sitting there to toughen the vehicle up with.
Something to think about anyway.

hwildey

Big Bend
First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I have that question too. I have seen some guys online take their BB up some loose gravel hills and over rocks using SAND mode, which doesn't seem right. Now that I can see how to disable traction control (thanks to those in this thread) then I think NORMAL for most applications or SLIPPERY when things get slippery. SAND uses a lot of throttle, while SLIPPERY doesn't, so I guess use what you need. It seems most videos just show the car figuring it out and getting through whatever gets thrown at it. I have no doubt the computer is smarter than me so I think I am just not going to overthink it too much anymore. We just don't have the fine tuning capability that the BL has, which is fine by me.

GoatsyBanks

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I have that question too. I have seen some guys online take their BB up some loose gravel hills and over rocks using SAND mode, which doesn't seem right. Now that I can see how to disable traction control (thanks to those in this thread) then I think NORMAL for most applications or SLIPPERY when things get slippery. SAND uses a lot of throttle, while SLIPPERY doesn't, so I guess use what you need. It seems most videos just show the car figuring it out and getting through whatever gets thrown at it. I have no doubt the computer is smarter than me so I think I am just not going to overthink it too much anymore. We just don't have the fine tuning capability that the BL has, which is fine by me.
I usually use sand. It turns off traction control and ups the shift points like you said.
Slippery is pretty much useless because it just dumbs everything down. Low RPM's, slow throttle response, less sensitive steering and brakes
Sponsored