What do you do for a living? What will you use the BS for?

Elboy

Badlands
First Name
Elden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Thought this might be an interesting thread. For whoever is comfortable with sharing on here, what do you do for a living? Does owning a Bronco Sport help you in your field in any specific way? Can also include any hobbies

I am a freelance photographer / graphic designer and also recently started making my own in the Fashion industry. I do a lot of photography in the mountains / desert where the better views are only accessible by dirt roads so having an offroad capable vehicle / daily driver will be nice. The Bronco Sport badlands also has 2 power outlets I could use for charging my camera and light batteries which will be very useful and the offroad capabilities will instill the confidence to get to remote locations.

My hobbies will be where the BS will be used at its full potential. 2 main outdoor hobbies are snowboarding and rock climbing. Snowboarding brings winter road conditions and rock climbing is widely found off the pavement. It would be safe to say the commercial with climber Brooke Raboutou (and the other one with climber / photographer Jimmy Chin) was what got me hooked into the Bronco brand. Plus the MOLLE straps are calling all the climbing carabiners to clip into lol. I have already experienced a Southern Californian winter storm in our mountains going up to snowboard, handled heavy snow / icy roads just fine with careful driving.

Would love to hear anyone else's response.
Sponsored

Freeskierdude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 CRV
I make maps and produce spatial data for a living. I ski, surf, and hike a lot. I also have been sitting on the couch a lot this year so is that a hobby? Driving in bad weather is a fact where I end up living in life and what I do so I needed a car with AWD. I've had my CRV for 15 years now with 220k on it. It was a New England car for 4/5ths of its life so it's SOOOO rusty underneath now. I choose the bronco sport because I drive on a lot of logging roads and snowy unsalted passes on the weekends.
Here are the main reasons why I didn't get another compact that would be just fine for me. RAV 4, ugly and ubiquitous, no level 2 autonomous driving capabilities. Subaru, hate the acceleration curve and the cvt engine. Another CR-V, has a CVT. I didn't really consider anything else but a Hyundai Kona. screw anyone who puts a CVT transmission in their car. The Hyundai Tuscon that is coming out this spring seems very compelling but I think ill find the Bronco sport to be more catered to me. Its like ford built a vehicle just for me, my generation, and all my yuppie hobbies I like to do. Sorry my post was a little rambly

OP
OP
Elboy

Elboy

Badlands
First Name
Elden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
I make maps and produce spatial data for a living. I ski, surf, and hike a lot. I also have been sitting on the couch a lot this year so is that a hobby? Driving in bad weather is a fact where I end up living in life and what I do so I needed a car with AWD. I've had my CRV for 15 years now with 220k on it. It was a New England car for 4/5ths of its life so it's SOOOO rusty underneath now. I choose the bronco sport because I drive on a lot of logging roads and snowy unsalted passes on the weekends.
Here are the main reasons why I didn't get another compact that would be just fine for me. RAV 4, ugly and ubiquitous, no level 2 autonomous driving capabilities. Subaru, hate the acceleration curve and the cvt engine. Another CR-V, has a CVT. I didn't really consider anything else but a Hyundai Kona. screw anyone who puts a CVT transmission in their car. The Hyundai Tuscon that is coming out this spring seems very compelling but I think ill find the Bronco sport to be more catered to me. Its like ford built a vehicle just for me, my generation, and all my yuppie hobbies I like to do. Sorry my post was a little rambly
felt that on a spiritual level.. hahaha

i was very near to purchasing another Subaru Forester from the current gen (previously owned ā€˜10 model) but having a cvt and after test driving it, it just felt pretty bland to me (although the mpg was quite attractive). Rav4 was my second choice at the time, where we see things differently are the looks of it, i actually like how the current gen rav4s look haha. but the thought of owning a rav4 felt uninspiring to me. I wanted something with the ā€˜coolā€™ factor of 4runners / land rovers but without the bigger size and low mpg of them, i needed something more practical. Bronco sport was the closest to fit the bill and came at good timing as i was getting my financials straight.

But making maps? wow thatā€™s awesome, that would be the first someoneā€™s ever told me that. and sounds like the BS will be there for you with your outdoor hobbies as well. it seems like Ford did indeed find our certain niche and invested more into us vs other Companies. In my mind, the BS is what I wanted the newer Foresters to be like, but it seems like Subaru isnā€™t willing to go the extra mile towards off-road ruggedness.

Geojive

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I am a health inspector with a municipal health department. I do mostly the oddball inspections such as, standing water complaints, septic tan Bbb bbq B k inspections, dog bite investigations, baiting sewers for rats, and anything related to zoonotic diseases. I have quite a few septics by

Geojive

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I am a health inspector with a municipal health department. I do mostly the oddball inspections such as, standing water complaints, septic tan Bbb bbq B k inspections, dog bite investigations, baiting sewers for rats, and anything related to zoonotic diseases. I have quite a few septics by
Answered the phone and my beard posted an in complete message..... some septic tanks I inspect are in the far flung area as of the city on unincorporated roads that are pretty questionable most days. Never have I gotten Stu k but I have bottomed out on the ruts and potholes.

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon, Fiat Spider 124, Bronco Sport Badlands
I work from home providing IT support and process consulting for an international humanitarian organization and for a global nonprofit project management organization. Lots of time in my basement and facilitating Zoom. My wife teaches high school German (lots of Zoom this year too).

My first objective for the Bronco Sport was to have something reliable that would insure she could reliably get to school when we have snow; here in the Puget Sound area, we seem to have about 15 snow plows for the area and a lot of hills and falling branches.

Since the pandemic, the Bronco Sport has also helped us dream about camping and overlanding. Nice to think about being able to do that. I suppose that is why I have posted several notes about the 100 pound limitation with the moonroof. I had thoughts about a roof top tent but I am just not seeing a viable option. So, it is likely we will be doing ground tents and using the roof for something else lighter weight.

Also, being an IT and systems guy, I suppose that is why I have keyed on the subpar performance of Ford's IT and marketing. I am frustrated by lack of attention to systems by people in my discipline, causing pain and harming the brand and messaging for an otherwise fine product.

dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Ranger FX4
I work from home providing IT support and process consulting for an international humanitarian organization and for a global nonprofit project management organization. Lots of time in my basement and facilitating Zoom. My wife teaches high school German (lots of Zoom this year too).

My first objective for the Bronco Sport was to have something reliable that would insure she could reliably get to school when we have snow; here in the Puget Sound area, we seem to have about 15 snow plows for the area and a lot of hills and falling branches.

Since the pandemic, the Bronco Sport has also helped us dream about camping and overlanding. Nice to think about being able to do that. I suppose that is why I have posted several notes about the 100 pound limitation with the moonroof. I had thoughts about a roof top tent but I am just not seeing a viable option. So, it is likely we will be doing ground tents and using the roof for something else lighter weight.

Also, being an IT and systems guy, I suppose that is why I have keyed on the subpar performance of Ford's IT and marketing. I am frustrated by lack of attention to systems by people in my discipline, causing pain and harming the brand and messaging for an otherwise fine product.
Put the rooftop tent on a trailer.

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Put the rooftop tent on a trailer.
Yes, we have considered that. But I want to prove that we are going to do this before investing the many $$ in a trailer.

Molson

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Big Bend BS; '13 Subaru Impreza

Iā€™m an IT guy at a school so I too have been focusing on the subpar performance of Ford and my dealerā€™s IT and marketing. I have family that live on gravel roads and since I am technically in administration at my school I am not allowed to leave until all of the students are gone on days we get snow/rain after school starts. This year has also gotten my wife, daughter and me more into camping and trail walking so I will use it for getting those places.

CrookedLetta

First Edition
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport, 17 FoRS, 17 GT350
I'm a service manager at a Ford dealer. The BS for me will be my daily and toy to play with along with helping me get deeper into my hobbies. I just started getting into mountain biking this past year and I'm not afraid to get lost in the woods with my camera.,

Ultraspaz

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
Retired. 32 years with the Post Office (torture for pay) and 8 years in the Navy before that. (loved the sea but hated the ships). I may be the oldest one here.

For the past 12 years my main interest has been traveling/camping around the U.S. solo on motorcycle. I've ridden to every state in the continental U.S. 1 or more times except for 9 states around New England. I'll be checking those off this summer.

Until I retired, all my trips were hard rides so I could get back to work in time. My record was 5600 miles in 8 days. I promised myself that when I retired I wasn't going to rush anymore and start taking the access roads and trails I've had to pass up. There was no way I was taking those trails on an 1100 lb touring bike and my tired 2008 Escape's AWD wasn't up to the task either. I initially had narrowed my choices to the Subaru Outback or the Rav 4 Adventure. I wasn't sure about the CVT on the Subaru and my wife already owns a Rav4 Hybrid. As soon as Ford brought out the Bronco and Bronco sport I was hooked. The Sport Badlands fit my needs more so now I'm lucky enough to have one sitting in my garage.

OP
OP
Elboy

Elboy

Badlands
First Name
Elden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Retired. 32 years with the Post Office (torture for pay) and 8 years in the Navy before that. (loved the sea but hated the ships). I may be the oldest one here.

For the past 12 years my main interest has been traveling/camping around the U.S. solo on motorcycle. I've ridden to every state in the continental U.S. 1 or more times except for 9 states around New England. I'll be checking those off this summer.

Until I retired, all my trips were hard rides so I could get back to work in time. My record was 5600 miles in 8 days. I promised myself that when I retired I wasn't going to rush anymore and start taking the access roads and trails I've had to pass up. There was no way I was taking those trails on an 1100 lb touring bike and my tired 2008 Escape's AWD wasn't up to the task either. I initially had narrowed my choices to the Subaru Outback or the Rav 4 Adventure. I wasn't sure about the CVT on the Subaru and my wife already owns a Rav4 Hybrid. As soon as Ford brought out the Bronco and Bronco sport I was hooked. The Sport Badlands fit my needs more so now I'm lucky enough to have one sitting in my garage.
awesome, i love it and thank you for your service. hoping the bronco will allow you to slow down and take in all the forest and access roads youā€™ve passed up!

OP
OP
Elboy

Elboy

Badlands
First Name
Elden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester

iā€™ve seen a youtube video from a dealership with a moonroof + rooftop tent. not sure what the static max weight is but maybe itā€™s still possible?

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
iā€™ve seen a youtube video from a dealership with a moonroof + rooftop tent. not sure what the static max weight is but maybe itā€™s still possible?
It would be interesting to write that dealership for What they did and if it is Within the constraints or was just a photo op but not really drive-worthy. Iā€™d be glad if it worked; I just donā€™t see how it squares with what is described in the owner manual.

BobH

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Miata GT 97 f150 21 BS BL
I retired the first time after 20 years in the Air Force. Worked as a radio comm tech for the next 25 years and retired from Black Hills Power about 7 years ago. I now have a part time job as a Broadcast Engineer. I maintain 4 FM and 2 AM stations plus studio equipment. I lost my wife to a liver disease about a year ago so I try to keep busy.

Hobbies include Amateur Radio (since 1968 Call KF0AM), Hunting, fishing, shooting, rock and fossil hunting, hiking, mild climbing, photography, and stamp collecting to name a few. Never bored.

I live out of town with the Black Hills on side and the rugged landscape of western South Dakota on the other. The best areas for what I enjoy doing are seldom easy to get to. Hopefully my BS BL will be up to the task. Always seem to have grandkids out with me in the summer. For work, one FM tower is up on Terry Peak at 7200 ft. Never fails that when it goes down it is during snow storms. Should help there too. According to the reviews, it should be great for trips, as I do a bit of traveling. As for the twisty roads in the Black Hills, I leave that to My Miata (Yee-Ha).
Sponsored