What are the purpose of the front splash guards?

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
The ones in front of the tires, not the the ones behind the tires. I saw a week or so ago where a member here had his push back onto the tire and they wore down.

I don't drive in reverse enough to have water splash to the front....seems too that they would be an easy shot at hitting a parking block, much like how a front lower spoiler would do.

Seems they must have a purpose, but I'm not seeing it. Do folks remove them that do any off road driving?
Sponsored

BronzeSmokeBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
First off, the front "splash gaurds" for lack of a better word, are on all BS, minus the Badlands trim which has a 2.0L, not the 1.5L. My Guess is that Ford was trying to squeak out every last bit of gas mileage out of the 1.5L....Since the Badlands sells at much lower numbers and the gas mileage on the Badlands/2.0L is significantly less, so why bother?? IDK

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
First off, the front "splash gaurds" for lack of a better word, are on all BS, minus the Badlands trim which has a 2.0L, not the 1.5L. My Guessa is that Ford was trying to squeak out every last bit of gas mileage out of the 1.5L....Since the Badlands sells at much lower numbers and the gas mileage on the Badlands/2.0L is significantly less, so why bother?? IDK
My 21 Badlands has them. I'd wondered the same and concluded that they deflect air. That is really grasping for mileage.

HomePeace

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Big Bend
Mine just chewed up the driver side a few weeks ago and I ordered the new front tire flap and bolts... total was like 14 bucks. Took about 2 minutes to pop it on. When comparing the old to the new, I had somehow ripped off nearly 60% of the piece. I probably parked like an idiot and took it off by getting too close to a parking lot cement block or curb.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Mine just chewed up the driver side a few weeks ago and I ordered the new front tire flap and bolts... total was like 14 bucks. Took about 2 minutes to pop it on. When comparing the old to the new, I had somehow ripped off nearly 60% of the piece. I probably parked like an idiot and took it off by getting too close to a parking lot cement block or curb.
Your milage should improve by .00000001%. Thanks for trying to help save the planet.:cool: Mine does not have it. They must have known!

DirtyLuke

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' BS BL, 18' Forester
I accidently ripped one of those little air deflectors off my rear wheel with a rock while wheeling, so the other one had to go as well.

OP
OP
Bucko

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
This is why I asked. I will remove mine, as I'm not worried about loosing .003% fuel mileage per tank. Yea it may add up for Ford, but no worries for me.

I can't see myself worrying about hitting a parking stop with them, so off they will go.

Thanks to all for responding. I will sleep better tonight. Ha

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
I can't see myself worrying about hitting a parking stop with them, so off they will go
If you go up against parking curb and flap wedges up against front tire then tire pulls it down and can pull screw out. I did it to rear flaps on another car.

Theoretically tires are major aero drag that why deflectors are there. How much real world difference don't know but that why modern cars have them.

OP
OP
Bucko

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
If you go up against parking curb and flap wedges up against front tire then tire pulls it down and can pull screw out. I did it to rear flaps on another car.

Theoretically tires are major aero drag that why deflectors are there. How much real world difference don't know but that why modern cars have them.
probably why they have auto stop/start too, to squeeze every possible MPG rating from a vehicle. They will come off my BS and get stored in case it changes hands some day; not any day soon though.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
probably why they have auto stop/start too, to squeeze every possible MPG rating from a vehicle. They will come off my BS and get stored in case it changes hands some day; not any day soon though.
Yeah I doubt you will see mileage difference. Maybe if you go 75 mph on highway on multi hour drive then maybe some minute difference.

OP
OP
Bucko

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Looks much cleaner with them off.
I'll think so too. And perhaps my mileage will increase due to the weight reduction of those front flaps removal :crackup:

rootdoc

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Plastic front splash guard/bezel also holds the wheel well liner in place.
Sponsored