First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Shadow Black Badlands
Is Cal Worthington still around??

"Don't you buy NO ugly truck!" 😂
Only West coast US folks would recognize the name. Me? I'm originally a mid-westerner, now east coaster, but heard the name referenced in various game shows.
Calvin Coolidge Worthington (November 27, 1920 – September 8, 2013)

wireman

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Iowa Hawkeye here, but been in Socal since 1981.

His commercials were memorable. Might be some on YouTube.

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport; 2016 Mustang 2.3
No, he has passed on to greener pastures.

"Go see Cal, Go see Cal".
Only West coast US folks would recognize the name. Me? I'm originally a mid-westerner, now east coaster, but heard the name referenced in various game shows.
Calvin Coolidge Worthington (November 27, 1920 – September 8, 2013)
Goes to show how effective his commercials were that I can still remember his pitch line twenty years later.

Last edited:

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
Again, it's probably different in my area because of all the dealers. In other parts of the country the situation varies.

Would your local dealer prefer that you bought it from them, probably.

It's hard to understand why a dealer would turn away service & warranty work just because you didn't buy from them. If that's the case, they need a new manager.
From my post (#76) above:

"That has been my experience. It is good to have it backed up by someone with 25 years in the business.

You asked, "...what difference does it matter where they bought it?" What I've heard, from a variety of sources over decades, is that warranty work pays less -- for both parts and labor. If the service dept has open bays, they probably will not mind doing warranty repairs, but if they are booked weeks in advance with 'ordinary' retail customers, they will look at warranty work as a LOSS.

Something else I've heard (not nearly as often) is that there are dealerships that focus primarily on sales. Their service dept is minimal, and they count on customers taking their vehicles to other dealerships. Again, the other dealers should not care if the vehicles are out of warranty -- money is money -- but if the selling dealer is essentially farming out most of their warranty work, that could cause hard feelings.

Bottom line, the mfrs are not paying enough for warranty work, and the customers are stuck in the middle."

For balance, I've also posted my former coworker's experience -- bought a M5 used with a few months factory warranty left (private sale). Took it to a local BMW dealer. They treated him like royalty -- brand new BMW loaner car; repaired everything he mentioned, PLUS some stuff they found; and thoroughly detailed his car before returning it to him. No "established relationship", in fact, he'd never set foot in the place. So it's definitely not 100% negative.

Point being, there are rarely absolutes -- and dealer attitudes about warranty work is no exception. I see no reason to doubt any of the experiences people report, positive or negative.

As you pointed out, "...the situation varies" -- but their are enough tales of poor treatment that the mfrs and dealers need to renegotiate how much warranty work pays so that all dealers treat their customers like that BMW dealer treated my coworker.

wireman

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I always heard that most dealerships make most of their money on parts, warranty work , etc, not on actual car sales.

The worthless addons shown in addition to the window sticker are for sure a rip off and money maker if you fall for them.

My situation may be unique, possibly because of my location and the number of dealerships in the area competing for business. I count at least 30 Ford dealers within a 60 mile radius of my home.

Buying 4 different used vehicles, none from my local dealerships, Audi, Mercedes, Ford and Jeep and never an issue getting work done locally is gratifying.

I've owned just about every make possible, except Toyota and BMW in my 60 years, of owning cars and I can tell you that there is a difference with the service departments of Audi and Mercedes, a step above all the other brands. Maybe a European thing.

Again, my situation may be uncommon.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I always heard that most dealerships make most of their money on parts, warranty work , etc, not on actual car sales.

The worthless addons shown in addition to the window sticker are for sure a rip off and money maker if you fall for them.

My situation may be unique, possibly because of my location and the number of dealerships in the area competing for business. I count at least 30 Ford dealers within a 60 mile radius of my home.

Buying 4 different used vehicles, none from my local dealerships, Audi, Mercedes, Ford and Jeep and never an issue getting work done locally is gratifying.

I've owned just about every make possible, except Toyota and BMW in my 60 years, of owning cars and I can tell you that there is a difference with the service departments of Audi and Mercedes, a step above all the other brands. Maybe a European thing.

Again, my situation may be uncommon.
You may be on to something -- 30 Ford dealers within a 60 mile radius is a LOT of competition. That said, I'd guess that Ford considers population density when they set up dealerships -- so that each one 'pulls' from approx. the same number of people. So they aren't starving, but still, as you said, it gives customers plenty of choices.

All I know about the car business is what I've read (some written by current/former service managers) and seen in videos. All I can do is repeat what I've heard over the decades, which is that dealers make more money from service than sales (as you said) -- but, many/most have a serious attitude problem when it comes to warranty work. Yes, it's also service work, but it is much less profitable. I've heard that from several techs & service managers.

In short, I agree with your post -- I would just change "warranty work" to regular customer paid service/repairs. They do also make some money on warranty repairs, just not as much.

PS: Go Hawkeyes! :cool:

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
With all the competition in car sales, you'd think that they would be much better with repair work/customer service.

What that tells me is that most folks simply accept the poor service and lack of attention to detail.

That's sad.

Jumbo1953

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Do you have an example of this here on broncosportforum.com?

Unless you think people who post their positive experiences do so out of malice, I don't think this is a good comparison. For example, I've seen posts here from users relaying their positive experiences in response to a question (i.e., anyone else experience such and such?) Further, some users never post anything except their negative experiences (examples on this forum abound), and generally speaking there is far more negative posts than positive. As a Bronco Sport owner I believe I have a vested interest (resale value) in providing readers who may be doing research ahead of a used car purchase more than negative experiences.
Normally when you post something positive you can hear crickets. My 2021 BSBL just turned over 30,000 miles. At less than 1,000 miles the manual park release cable was replaced. Since then I’ve had no recalls, bulletins, or any problems. I love my Bronco and will likely trade this in eventually for another BS. I’m not trying to rub it in to people with problems but instead trying to point out that many are good vehicles. All manufacturers occasionally make junk but the vast majority are well made.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Normally when you post something positive you can hear crickets. My 2021 BSBL just turned over 30,000 miles. At less than 1,000 miles the manual park release cable was replaced. Since then I’ve had no recalls, bulletins, or any problems. I love my Bronco and will likely trade this in eventually for another BS. I’m not trying to rub it in to people with problems but instead trying to point out that many are good vehicles. All manufacturers occasionally make junk but the vast majority are well made.
'21 Badlands here. Mine needed Manual Park Release Cable too, heard brake moan a few times over the years, but its overall excellent so far. 22k miles on it now.

ethanridings

Outer Banks
First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I’m having a very similar issue and cannot stand the way these dealerships are treating me.. 5 days just to look at my car is ridiculous. My turbo is malfunctioning and I had another shop diagnose the issue and tell me that ford should cover it under their warranty. But when I take it to ford I can’t get any service done because I have to have my car for work… these people are insane. Can we please start a petition or somthing 😭

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m having a very similar issue and cannot stand the way these dealerships are treating me.. 5 days just to look at my car is ridiculous. My turbo is malfunctioning and I had another shop diagnose the issue and tell me that ford should cover it under their warranty. But when I take it to ford I can’t get any service done because I have to have my car for work… these people are insane. Can we please start a petition or somthing 😭
I'm sorry to hear you're having a difficult time.

Some dealers will give customers a loaner car to use while their car is in the shop. IDK how common that is though. They certainly do not have to.

Since you're in a major metro area (Atlanta) you should have several dealerships to choose from. I believe you can have work done at Lincoln dealers also. You might call around, describe the problem, and see a) when they can get your BS into the shop, b) approx. how long the repair will take, and c) if they can give you a loaner while your BS is being repaired.

As has been discussed here on the forum, some dealers are happy to do warranty work, while others are not, and insist that they will only handle warranty repairs on vehicles that they sold. You should be able to get an idea about which camp a dealer is in by how they answer the questions above.

Good luck!
Sponsored

Reactions: MJE