Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Really? You need to have that checked. Mine has definite detents and stops at both ends. AND if I shut down without putting it in Park, it puts itself in Park!
There was a thread here about this at one point. They changed the shift knob at some point to one that doesn’t have a stop. I’m assuming it just keeps people from breaking it. It will only register shifts in one direction or another until it get to either Park or First. If you keep turning it once it gets to either of those, nothing happens. Yes, it is supposed to go into Park by itself if you turn it off and open the door, I think (I don’t have mine yet).
Sponsored

Carolo

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
There was a thread here about this at one point. They changed the shift knob at some point to one that doesn’t have a stop. I’m assuming it just keeps people from breaking it. It will only register shifts in one direction or another until it get to either Park or First. If you keep turning it once it gets to either of those, nothing happens. Yes, it is supposed to go into Park by itself if you turn it off and open the door, I think (I don’t have mine yet).
I don't have to open the door, it just does it! I love this little pony!

WLK

Badlands
First Name
Wendy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Memory seats would have been nice. One thing that I like and was a bit surprised about...it does look like a small SUV from the outside but it feels so much bigger when you are actually sitting in it, everyone makes the same comment when they get in.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I'm adjusting to most of the oddities but there is two I do Not like about ford's. Stereo volume controls either on the back side of the steering wheel or on the right side of the wheel would be much preferred. A stalk for cruise on the right would be choice also. I'm so annoyed with having to take my left hand off the wheel and look down to find these buttons. Then they changed up the volume buttons from up being on top of down to them being side by side. Very inconvenient to me.
Once I learned where the ‘Hat’ switch was I no longer have to look down. Np with a little stick time.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Memory seats would have been nice. One thing that I like and was a bit surprised about...it does look like a small SUV from the outside but it feels so much bigger when you are actually sitting in it, everyone makes the same comment when they get in.
That’s what I thought on my test drive too. It looks like a small SUV compared to just about anything else on the road nowadays. But getting in it & actually driving it, the space seemed great.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
The fact it wakes up and starts making noises the minute I walk into the garage and I wasn’t planning on taking it out for a drive.

Elegance

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I got the sun reflection on the hood today. Wow.
Hope you enjoyed having eyesight until now. I've been looking and looking for decals that would stop that nonsense and haven't been able to find any that just cover the hood humps. The glare is downright dangerous when the sun hits at just the right angle.

Feint

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Here's my list of dislikes:
  • The Ford dealer experience absolutely sucks compared to Japanese and German car dealers. So far, all the dealers I've dealt with on the Ford side are mostly scumbags
  • DRL headlights dim when you turn on parking lights or headlights. Makes no sense
  • Rotary gear selector is a dumb and sunsafe gimmick when you need to shift in a hurry
  • Paddle shifters are useless "suggestions" of what gear to be in (as expected)
  • Windshield "accessory ready" text on windshield looks cheap and is completely misleading
  • Badlands is not pre-wired for any extra lighting like the Bronco with switch panel option
  • Aftermarket support for major items really is non-existent compared to WRX, Bronco, Wrangler, etc. This sucks. Vivid Racing made a nice bull bar but decided not to sell it. Rough Country makes a bull bar, but it's weak and not tied into the frame very well and doesn't look that great imho. I don't know anyone who is making sliders or underbody protection. Maybe I should have gotten a Taco or 4Runner. But they are too big.
  • Ford engineers lied about being able to fit 31" tires before needing to modify the car
  • ICE interface is criminally slow. If you're not in Android Auto, the ICE is almost useless when trying to switch between radio stations, access the settings, etc. Feels like a computer from the 80s trying to access the AOL early dial-up internet
  • No rubber on the inside fenders along sharp metal edges in the engine bay which lead to me slicing my hand when installing the gas struts. My 2011 WRX had it.
  • No gas struts on the hood
  • Missing directions on drivers dash when using Google Maps (as expected, but still)
  • Total lack of ambient lighting makes the car feel incredibly dark at night compared to every other car - This is insane to me. My 2011 wrx had ambient lighting. And Ford doesn't seem to offer the upgrade. I have to get some kind of Amazon or Ebay version. Currently using a USB C light in the center for some lighting there. Will add footwell lighting soon. Maybe I'll add the Subaru kit which is cheap and easy to install.
  • All the missing items from 21 to 22 like folding headrests, dash hush panel on passenger side footwell, missing tow hook?!, missing engine cover, missing sound insulation under the spare tire, etc. Related: dealing with the POS dealer trying to get info about these missing items.
  • The overall feel like the car was rushed out of the factory. Barcode labels on all engine hoses and electrical components (aren't these supposed to be removed before the car leaves the production line?), loose electrical tape in several places in the engine bay that's just extra (I think this was holding the wire loom together, the factory cut it before installing the loom and just left the extra pieces attached because they didn't care)
  • Fabric electrical tape everywhere instead of shrink wrap or any kind of plastic doesn't bode well for the future especially if you ever need to wash the engine
  • Electrical gremlins:
    • Lighting is broken when leaving the car (front DRLs sometimes stay on forever unless I unlock/lock the car again after leaving when set to 120 seconds vs 20 seconds)
    • Interior USB ports sometimes stay lit forever unless I unlock/lock the car again
    • Reverse camera is currently broken (stuck in 180 deg mode no matter what I hit)
  • When exiting the car while the engine is running and it's in park and the parking brake is activated, if you close the door after leaving, the car beeps twice which is announcing to the world that you are there. So at night, if you just want to get something out of the back, the car honks the horn for no reason. This forces me to keep the drivers door open which sucks if it's raining or I just don't want to. What's the point of this?
  • Rear passenger alarm is annoying and stupid. Did Ford lose a lawsuit or something? I'm glad you can turn this off, but the dealer said I couldn't turn it off because of legal reasons like Ford lost a lawsuit when someone left their kid in the back. Insane. I almost didn't buy the car because of that.
  • I don't like the stance from the back or front. The car looks weak from the back especially. Being able to mount 265 tires would really help, but they won't fit without severe modification to the pinch weld and rewelding it (see Vivid Racing). Maybe there's another way to mount larger tires with additional lift or different offset wheels. But no one has tried it.
  • No way to turn on the interior lights and keep them on for longer than 30 min. When camping inside the car, this sucks. I get that it's a way of stopping your car battery from dying, but retrofitting a solution is going to be very difficult.
  • There's a limit on the number of drivers interface items that can be enabled. Why not allow the driver to enable them all? Why is this limit present? That's so stupid
  • Under-seat storage in the back is really nice, but it's only on one side. I don't know why it's only on one side, maybe packaging.
  • All the Yakima/Ford accessories are way too expensive and there's not a lot of competition from other brands for different price points or different features, and the interface for buying them or finding info on them sucks. You really have to do your research so you don't get screwed. So if I want to get the Yakima platform, will it actually work or will it not work with a moonroof? Do I want to spend a thousand dollars and find out the hard way that it doesn't work with a moonroof? I have to do my research. Do I have to use the insanely expensive cross bars or can I mount it directly to the rails? I have to do my own research. And good luck avoiding the rabbit hole when doing roof rack research. lol
  • Personal preference, the car should have come with AT tires standard, not the Scorpions for fuel savings, but I get it.
  • 3rd brake light flasher that the dealer installed - I don't know where he installed it (fuse box or at the light, nor how to remove it or even how to access the 3rd brake light without removing major panels or the rubber wire covers on the outside of the rear hatch. Annoying dealer crap that I didn't want and asked them to remove.
  • No "Bronco Wave". In the WRX, other owners wave to each other all the time. I've tried flashing lights, lightly waving, strongly waving, and I get no reaction from the other drivers in their Bronco Sports. And the Bronco drivers never wave.
  • I don't like the name "Sport". I think "Scout" would have been better and less cute. The car is more of a Scout vehicle anyway in the traditional military sense. A scout vehicle is smaller, more maneuverable, less armored, faster vehicle compared to an APC or uparmored troop carrier. Sport is a name for a kid that you don't like. Bronco Scout would have been much better. Or maybe the Bronco Troop Carrier. I'm going to call mine the Bronco Scout if anyone asks what it is. haha
  • On the badlands, the rubber floor looks extremely cheaply made and installation is loose in areas like the passenger side door area where there are folds. In the back under the rear passenger vents, it looks especially cheap. Any texture at all would make it look better. But it looks like a crappy 80s rental van. I need to cover it up with something to hide it. I understand the utility of it, but without any drain holes or ways to route water, you can't hose it out. And the fuse panel is low in the passenger footwell and easy to get wet. So I'm not sure if it's better than carpeting.

Here's my list of likes:
  • Aluminum hood is nice and light. I don't like the over fender styling of it, but I like that it's aluminum.
  • B&O sound system is great! Sounds amazing when listing to YouTube music. Doesn't sound so good when listening to some other sound sources, but that's fine. Directions for
  • Navigation instructions are in the center channel only when using "Surround Mode"
  • I like the added features that are all over the advertising:
    • tailgate lights
    • optional table tray
    • two stage spare tire cover
    • underseat storage in the back
    • front camera with washer
    • extra goat modes for Badlands
    • capless gas filler
    • safari roof or whatever they are calling it. The LR3/4 roof.
  • Very nice LED headlights with auto high beams - I haven't been in the deep forest yet, but the headlights are great so far, even with the strange dark spots
  • Full size spare area that fits a 245/65 tire and doesn't bulge any more, and has foam storage trays for extra items like the missing tow hook and the fuel funnel
  • I like the giant moonroof, even though it doesn't open all the way and opens above the roofline instead of into it the way my WRX did (a result of the safari roof)
  • I like the badlands rims a lot. I think they look great. Saved me money when I upgrade the tires
  • Side profile view with K02s in 245 look great. Not great from the back, but from the side and 1/4, 3/4 views it looks great.
  • Interior lighting is great at night. The switch at the front feels insanely cheap though you'll never accidentally hit it. And the individual switches are finicky and sometimes don't work. But the lighting is great. I wish you could dim it because it's too bright most of the time, but I don't know any car that has that. Maybe the aftermarket can replace the crappy switch with an electronic interface that lets you set the brightness or have it set to "door", "on" or "off".
  • I like that it's capable off-road and that the reporters are all pleasantly surprised at what it can do. I hit a speed hump pretty fast and it was like nothing for the car. Pretty impressive. I haven't taken it properly offroading yet, but will this summer and winter. So I'm excited about that.
  • I like that it's smaller than a 4runner and other body-on-frame vehicles. I wish Toyota would make a Rav4 that wasn't called the Rav4 which had boxy features like the Sport and was more capable than the Sport. I would buy that in a heartbeat. Like an FJ70 series. Sometimes legitimately retro, not modern retro like the upcoming Compact Cruiser EV.
  • I like that a tow package is offered but I wish it was standard or that the bumper covers were the same so I wouldn't have to get a new bumper cover or cut my existing one to accommodate the add-on tow package. I think the tow package bumper cover looks a lot better.
  • Flip up rear glass is great for my gf's dog but I do wish that they had a better solution for the wiper motor/glass hatch. The 4Runner solution is perfect. Integrate the motor into the roofline and have the glass retract into the tailgate. Done. I suspect the flip up glass will break on a large enough bump when open.

SgtT11B

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL, 2020 Ford Mustang GT
Here's my list of dislikes:
  • The Ford dealer experience absolutely sucks compared to Japanese and German car dealers. So far, all the dealers I've dealt with on the Ford side are mostly scumbags
  • DRL headlights dim when you turn on parking lights or headlights. Makes no sense
  • Rotary gear selector is a dumb and sunsafe gimmick when you need to shift in a hurry
  • Paddle shifters are useless "suggestions" of what gear to be in (as expected)
  • Windshield "accessory ready" text on windshield looks cheap and is completely misleading
  • Badlands is not pre-wired for any extra lighting like the Bronco with switch panel option
  • Aftermarket support for major items really is non-existent compared to WRX, Bronco, Wrangler, etc. This sucks. Vivid Racing made a nice bull bar but decided not to sell it. Rough Country makes a bull bar, but it's weak and not tied into the frame very well and doesn't look that great imho. I don't know anyone who is making sliders or underbody protection. Maybe I should have gotten a Taco or 4Runner. But they are too big.
  • Ford engineers lied about being able to fit 31" tires before needing to modify the car
  • ICE interface is criminally slow. If you're not in Android Auto, the ICE is almost useless when trying to switch between radio stations, access the settings, etc. Feels like a computer from the 80s trying to access the AOL early dial-up internet
  • No rubber on the inside fenders along sharp metal edges in the engine bay which lead to me slicing my hand when installing the gas struts. My 2011 WRX had it.
  • No gas struts on the hood
  • Missing directions on drivers dash when using Google Maps (as expected, but still)
  • Total lack of ambient lighting makes the car feel incredibly dark at night compared to every other car - This is insane to me. My 2011 wrx had ambient lighting. And Ford doesn't seem to offer the upgrade. I have to get some kind of Amazon or Ebay version. Currently using a USB C light in the center for some lighting there. Will add footwell lighting soon. Maybe I'll add the Subaru kit which is cheap and easy to install.
  • All the missing items from 21 to 22 like folding headrests, dash hush panel on passenger side footwell, missing tow hook?!, missing engine cover, missing sound insulation under the spare tire, etc. Related: dealing with the POS dealer trying to get info about these missing items.
  • The overall feel like the car was rushed out of the factory. Barcode labels on all engine hoses and electrical components (aren't these supposed to be removed before the car leaves the production line?), loose electrical tape in several places in the engine bay that's just extra (I think this was holding the wire loom together, the factory cut it before installing the loom and just left the extra pieces attached because they didn't care)
  • Fabric electrical tape everywhere instead of shrink wrap or any kind of plastic doesn't bode well for the future especially if you ever need to wash the engine
  • Electrical gremlins:
    • Lighting is broken when leaving the car (front DRLs sometimes stay on forever unless I unlock/lock the car again after leaving when set to 120 seconds vs 20 seconds)
    • Interior USB ports sometimes stay lit forever unless I unlock/lock the car again
    • Reverse camera is currently broken (stuck in 180 deg mode no matter what I hit)
  • When exiting the car while the engine is running and it's in park and the parking brake is activated, if you close the door after leaving, the car beeps twice which is announcing to the world that you are there. So at night, if you just want to get something out of the back, the car honks the horn for no reason. This forces me to keep the drivers door open which sucks if it's raining or I just don't want to. What's the point of this?
  • Rear passenger alarm is annoying and stupid. Did Ford lose a lawsuit or something? I'm glad you can turn this off, but the dealer said I couldn't turn it off because of legal reasons like Ford lost a lawsuit when someone left their kid in the back. Insane. I almost didn't buy the car because of that.
  • I don't like the stance from the back or front. The car looks weak from the back especially. Being able to mount 265 tires would really help, but they won't fit without severe modification to the pinch weld and rewelding it (see Vivid Racing). Maybe there's another way to mount larger tires with additional lift or different offset wheels. But no one has tried it.
  • No way to turn on the interior lights and keep them on for longer than 30 min. When camping inside the car, this sucks. I get that it's a way of stopping your car battery from dying, but retrofitting a solution is going to be very difficult.
  • There's a limit on the number of drivers interface items that can be enabled. Why not allow the driver to enable them all? Why is this limit present? That's so stupid
  • Under-seat storage in the back is really nice, but it's only on one side. I don't know why it's only on one side, maybe packaging.
  • All the Yakima/Ford accessories are way too expensive and there's not a lot of competition from other brands for different price points or different features, and the interface for buying them or finding info on them sucks. You really have to do your research so you don't get screwed. So if I want to get the Yakima platform, will it actually work or will it not work with a moonroof? Do I want to spend a thousand dollars and find out the hard way that it doesn't work with a moonroof? I have to do my research. Do I have to use the insanely expensive cross bars or can I mount it directly to the rails? I have to do my own research. And good luck avoiding the rabbit hole when doing roof rack research. lol
  • Personal preference, the car should have come with AT tires standard, not the Scorpions for fuel savings, but I get it.
  • 3rd brake light flasher that the dealer installed - I don't know where he installed it (fuse box or at the light, nor how to remove it or even how to access the 3rd brake light without removing major panels or the rubber wire covers on the outside of the rear hatch. Annoying dealer crap that I didn't want and asked them to remove.
  • No "Bronco Wave". In the WRX, other owners wave to each other all the time. I've tried flashing lights, lightly waving, strongly waving, and I get no reaction from the other drivers in their Bronco Sports. And the Bronco drivers never wave.
  • I don't like the name "Sport". I think "Scout" would have been better and less cute. The car is more of a Scout vehicle anyway in the traditional military sense. A scout vehicle is smaller, more maneuverable, less armored, faster vehicle compared to an APC or uparmored troop carrier. Sport is a name for a kid that you don't like. Bronco Scout would have been much better. Or maybe the Bronco Troop Carrier. I'm going to call mine the Bronco Scout if anyone asks what it is. haha
  • On the badlands, the rubber floor looks extremely cheaply made and installation is loose in areas like the passenger side door area where there are folds. In the back under the rear passenger vents, it looks especially cheap. Any texture at all would make it look better. But it looks like a crappy 80s rental van. I need to cover it up with something to hide it. I understand the utility of it, but without any drain holes or ways to route water, you can't hose it out. And the fuse panel is low in the passenger footwell and easy to get wet. So I'm not sure if it's better than carpeting.

Here's my list of likes:
  • Aluminum hood is nice and light. I don't like the over fender styling of it, but I like that it's aluminum.
  • B&O sound system is great! Sounds amazing when listing to YouTube music. Doesn't sound so good when listening to some other sound sources, but that's fine. Directions for
  • Navigation instructions are in the center channel only when using "Surround Mode"
  • I like the added features that are all over the advertising:
    • tailgate lights
    • optional table tray
    • two stage spare tire cover
    • underseat storage in the back
    • front camera with washer
    • extra goat modes for Badlands
    • capless gas filler
    • safari roof or whatever they are calling it. The LR3/4 roof.
  • Very nice LED headlights with auto high beams - I haven't been in the deep forest yet, but the headlights are great so far, even with the strange dark spots
  • Full size spare area that fits a 245/65 tire and doesn't bulge any more, and has foam storage trays for extra items like the missing tow hook and the fuel funnel
  • I like the giant moonroof, even though it doesn't open all the way and opens above the roofline instead of into it the way my WRX did (a result of the safari roof)
  • I like the badlands rims a lot. I think they look great. Saved me money when I upgrade the tires
  • Side profile view with K02s in 245 look great. Not great from the back, but from the side and 1/4, 3/4 views it looks great.
  • Interior lighting is great at night. The switch at the front feels insanely cheap though you'll never accidentally hit it. And the individual switches are finicky and sometimes don't work. But the lighting is great. I wish you could dim it because it's too bright most of the time, but I don't know any car that has that. Maybe the aftermarket can replace the crappy switch with an electronic interface that lets you set the brightness or have it set to "door", "on" or "off".
  • I like that it's capable off-road and that the reporters are all pleasantly surprised at what it can do. I hit a speed hump pretty fast and it was like nothing for the car. Pretty impressive. I haven't taken it properly offroading yet, but will this summer and winter. So I'm excited about that.
  • I like that it's smaller than a 4runner and other body-on-frame vehicles. I wish Toyota would make a Rav4 that wasn't called the Rav4 which had boxy features like the Sport and was more capable than the Sport. I would buy that in a heartbeat. Like an FJ70 series. Sometimes legitimately retro, not modern retro like the upcoming Compact Cruiser EV.
  • I like that a tow package is offered but I wish it was standard or that the bumper covers were the same so I wouldn't have to get a new bumper cover or cut my existing one to accommodate the add-on tow package. I think the tow package bumper cover looks a lot better.
  • Flip up rear glass is great for my gf's dog but I do wish that they had a better solution for the wiper motor/glass hatch. The 4Runner solution is perfect. Integrate the motor into the roofline and have the glass retract into the tailgate. Done. I suspect the flip up glass will break on a large enough bump when open.

Actually you pretty much nailed it. But at this price point I agree. I am lucky with South Bay Ford, they are pretty good to deal with. I also came out of German cars (Porsche and BMW).

Broncette

Badlands
First Name
Tracey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The fact it wakes up and starts making noises the minute I walk into the garage and I wasn’t planning on taking it out for a drive.
Twice now mine woke up because I opened the door to get something, and one of the motors of whatever starts up "stuttered". That's the best way I can describe it. And it scared the crap out of me both times.

MNVKSFN

Badlands
First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BRONCO SPORT
When we drove it home, I said to the wife: Wife this thing drives a lot bigger than it actually is. It feels bigger than it is and rides nicer than it is supposed to.

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
@Feint Bronco Scout is a pretty cool name, definitely fits the concept better than 'Sport.'

Its her Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Ford Escape and Mercury Mountaineer
The back seat middle seat belt flaps in the wind sometimes with the sunroof open and all 4 windows down. Other than that Ford did a really good job and I love the smile on my wife's face when she is driving it.

GizzardLizard

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
The first one is the only sort of serious issue I have. The rest are just minor gripes.
  • The sun glare on the hood can be awful.

• A 4x4 Lock button on the lower trims would've been nice. I'm happy not having all the GOAT Modes, Locking Diff, and Rock Crawl functions that the Badlands has but if even my mom's Equinox has an AWD lock button why can't the Big Bend and Outer Banks?

• I absolutely love the separate opening rear glass, but I do wish the opening was maybe a couple inches lower.

• Folding rear headrests would've been so much more convenient. I find it odd how theres supposedly a constraint with those, if thats the case.
Sponsored