Waze having issues in Android Auto?

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
14K+ miles, mechanically my sport has been outstanding so far. Recently I've had issue with WAZE navigation and Android Auto as the title states. I've tried a couple self fixes such as uninstall and reload both Android auto and waze, restart the phone. Currently when I start a trip, WAZE is good for about two turns then suddenly locks up.
I have filed logs with both AA and waze. I then tried disconnecting my pixel six with Android 13. Free from USB the WAZE app navigates just fine. So I'd say it's the handshake between AA and waze at issue. Today I just reloaded both Waze and aa again then deleted all data and cache files. I've yet to try using it so I'll have to wait until morning on the way to work.
Curious if anyone else is having similar issues?
Next option is to test the USB cord, then test my wife's apple phone and carplay to see if it's AA related or head unit mirroring.
Sponsored

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
14K+ miles, mechanically my sport has been outstanding so far. Recently I've had issue with WAZE navigation and Android Auto as the title states. I've tried a couple self fixes such as uninstall and reload both Android auto and waze, restart the phone. Currently when I start a trip, WAZE is good for about two turns then suddenly locks up.
I have filed logs with both AA and waze. I then tried disconnecting my pixel six with Android 13. Free from USB the WAZE app navigates just fine. So I'd say it's the handshake between AA and waze at issue. Today I just reloaded both Waze and aa again then deleted all data and cache files. I've yet to try using it so I'll have to wait until morning on the way to work.
Curious if anyone else is having similar issues?
Next option is to test the USB cord, then test my wife's apple phone and carplay to see if it's AA related or head unit mirroring.
Used Waze on CarPlay yesterday for 3.5 hours non stop. Only issue was when cell service went old school for a few miles. Must be AA.

Last edited:

Pkr22BL

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I've used Waze for about 7 years, but like you mentioned it is just about unusable in my Bronco Sport with Android Auto. I gave up after a week of fooling with it and I just use Google Maps now. I'm on Android 13 with a Pixel 6 also.

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
Cable is my first guess.

Try Google maps and see if that works, if so it's probably not a cable issue and points more towards Waze.

FWIW, Waze worked 95% on my Moto Stylus 5G with occaisonal lockups on long trips.

Tried it with my new Z Flip 4 last weekend for an hour and it worked perfect. But the Moto would go that long as well.

With the Moto I wondered if the phone was overheating from the constant charging. I should have turned off charging after it reached full charge let it run as a test. I have the z flip set to stop charging at 85% and it stayed cool when using Waze.

OP
OP
13MikeH

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Cable is my first guess.

Try Google maps and see if that works, if so it's probably not a cable issue and points more towards Waze.

FWIW, Waze worked 95% on my Moto Stylus 5G with occaisonal lockups on long trips.

Tried it with my new Z Flip 4 last weekend for an hour and it worked perfect. But the Moto would go that long as well.

With the Moto I wondered if the phone was overheating from the constant charging. I should have turned off charging after it reached full charge let it run as a test. I have the z flip set to stop charging at 85% and it stayed cool when using Waze.
Google maps and Spotify work through the cable without issue. Waze freezes when connected. The second I disconnect, the GPS corrects and if starts working. Android auto compatibility is the issue I'm 90% sure.​

tjbronco

Big Bend
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport, 2020 Subaru Outback
I use Waze a lot - works good most of the time - occasionally crashes. I have an Android and always have to use the cable. As someone else mentioned - check the cable. I know it is un-intuitive, but all USB cables are not created equal - I had to buy a high quality USB cable that was rated for high speeds. I think apps like Waze use more bandwidth than some other apps - and require a fast solid connection.

OP
OP
13MikeH

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I use Waze a lot - works good most of the time - occasionally crashes. I have an Android and always have to use the cable. As someone else mentioned - check the cable. I know it is un-intuitive, but all USB cables are not created equal - I had to buy a high quality USB cable that was rated for high speeds. I think apps like Waze use more bandwidth than some other apps - and require a fast solid connection.
That's my last effort. The cable is one that came with my phone so I'd assume it's speced to the pixel but may be worth a shot

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
Might try swapping ports. The usb c port is faster, might be better or might be more finicky about cables.

I've been thinking about one of those wireless AA adapters. Maybe try one of those.

OP
OP
13MikeH

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Yeah the pixel OEM is usbC to usbC. I'll try a new cable but I'd guess it's an update compatibility issue. It just suddenly started being a problem. Have to turn every stone it could be as simple as a cord

tjbronco

Big Bend
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had issues finding a USB cable that worked reliably - that ended up being my ultimate issue when I was fighting with Android Auto. But that may not be your issue - obviously lots of things in play with this stuff. Sometimes one component gets a software update and it breaks something else. I would like to try one of those wireless USB dongles one of these days...

Pkr22BL

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I tested the cable issue. Bought an Anker Thunderbolt 3.0 USB-C cable. About the fastest you can get I believe. Still didn't fix it. Waze still locks up within a few minutes of starting navigation.

OP
OP
13MikeH

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I tested the cable issue. Bought an Anker Thunderbolt 3.0 USB-C cable. About the fastest you can get I believe. Still didn't fix it. Waze still locks up within a few minutes of starting navigation.
I stopped by the hardware today and bought a USB to usb-C cable. I live a block away. Waze operated properly on the short trip home, even as I used a three way intersection to mess with it. I'll keep testing it, heading to Ann Arbor in the next couple of days. I'm open to any option that works within reason. Waze customer support was zero help, stamp answer about hard reset on my phone....NOT.

OP
OP
13MikeH

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
And...brand new cord, zero affect. Waze froze up about a mile into the trip. As soon as I unplugged it, Waze picked up with GPS location and completed the trip flawlessly untethered. It's a handshake issue with android auto.

tjbronco

Big Bend
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There was one more issue that I had when I first tried to get Android Auto to work on my car - and this is something easy you can check. I posted this about 6 months ago, but I am pasting it below:

FYI - I had a similar issue a while back - could not find a fix on any of the boards. By accident I found the solution. In the Android Auto app on your phone, turn off the "Use Bluetooth" option. Android auto doesn't work with Bluetooth - it needs the USB cable - and having that option turned on would disrupt the USB connection. Once I turned that off, my Android auto connects everytime.

OP
OP
13MikeH

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
There was one more issue that I had when I first tried to get Android Auto to work on my car - and this is something easy you can check. I posted this about 6 months ago, but I am pasting it below:

FYI - I had a similar issue a while back - could not find a fix on any of the boards. By accident I found the solution. In the Android Auto app on your phone, turn off the "Use Bluetooth" option. Android auto doesn't work with Bluetooth - it needs the USB cable - and having that option turned on would disrupt the USB connection. Once I turned that off, my Android auto connects everytime.
rock on I shall try that on the way home. Thanks for the heads up.
Sponsored