Water filling up Gas fill area behind the Fuel door.

AV99GT

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS
Since we just got a lot of rain, it has been a while: Second time now that the area is filled with water and when my wife opened the door to refuel, the rain water poured out.

Anyone else have this happen? I will need to put the wheel liner off this time to check the drain hole. Must be pinched. The first time we had the problem I fished a line thru the drain opening and it seemed to have been open.

Whoever designed the door seal, well didn't do their due diligence. (edit: probably said this in a bit of a hastily fashion. just frustrating for something like this :) ) I can say this as I have worked as an automotive engineer.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
No and I do not remember seeing something like this on the threads. I’d suggest your dealership.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Since we just got a lot of rain, it has been a while: Second time now that the area is filled with water and when my wife opened the door to refuel, the rain water poured out.

Anyone else have this happen? I will need to put the wheel liner off this time to check the drain hole. Must be pinched. The first time we had the problem I fished a line thru the drain opening and it seemed to have been open.

Whoever designed the door seal, well didn't do their due diligence. I can say this as I have worked as an automotive engineer.
The gas filler flap is not designed to be sealed, which is one reason for the drain hole. You are on the right track though that it appears the drain line has an issue. It could be filled with debris or it could be kinked. I don't think the rear fender liners are all that difficult to remove/replace. If you take it to your dealer, you will probably be in for a long wait. If you can tackle this yourself, you will probably save yourself time and headaches.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport

Whoever designed the door seal, well didn't do their due diligence. I can say this as I have worked as an automotive engineer.
Hi there, I'd be happy to look into your Bronco concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.

OP
OP

AV99GT

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS
Checked again this weekend: first put a long plastic coated wire cable (~1/16") thru the drain hole went all the way thru the hose with no resistance. Verified by seeing the cable all the way thru the bottom of the drain hose.

Next poured some water right by the drain hole, it drained how you would expect it to drain. Now I didn't want to flood the area.

I checked most of the seal to the plastic portion on the body; it is ~2mm distance from the edge of seal to the edge of the filler plastic housing. Now I wasn't able to check the very bottom of the door toward the hinge bc you can't see it when closing it. Seal looks normal.
Really strange, After the First time this happened I sprayed water at the closed door and nothing got in.

OP
OP

AV99GT

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS
The seal looks like it would do a decent job of keeping water out. Not sure how it was even possible to twice now, retain the water. If Ford ever makes a locking cap for the new style capless Tube I will just buy that to keep anything out.

Yes not going to bother with the dealer(s) not worth the headache with those fools, no discontent to the goods one, they are hard to fine, and all they will do is what I've checked and say can't duplicate .

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Yes not going to bother with the dealer(s) not worth the headache with those fools, no discontent to the goods one, they are hard to fine, and all they will do is what I've checked and say can't duplicate .
Yeah most Ford dealers are useless unable to fix anything. Been that way for decades. But there are good ones out that but have to search and find them.

MAJB Retired

Big Bend
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 King Ranch, Jeep Renegade, Bronco Sport
There was probably dirt stuck in the drain tube and the wire dislodged it.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Last week, we had 13 inches of rain over a 5 day period. My guess is that if the BS sits outside during rain storms such as what we experienced, the drain line is not designed to handle that much water, and therefore it backs up.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Last week, we had 13 inches of rain over a 5 day period. My guess is that if the BS sits outside during rain storms such as what we experienced, the drain line is not designed to handle that much water, and therefore it backs up.
Unless the BS is submerged in water, the drain in the fuel filler cavity should clear the area in less than a minute. If water is not actively pouring into the cavity, you should never see enough water here that it would pour down the side of the vehicle.
Sponsored