CactusGreyBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Memo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport, 2017 Flex 365 HP/EcoBoost,VW GL
Washed and did a clay bar on the Bronco today. I had been wanting to clay bar it for a while but wanted to make sure the paint was thourgly cured before. Question are you suppose the knead the clay bar after every pass? I started to but realized this was going to take a while. It’s been a while since I did clay bar. Love the way it feel now. Really makes the paint pop.

My wife created the lettering on her Cricket. It’s officially now BRONCITO
Ford Bronco Sport Washed the Bronco and finally gave him his name D176A755-DD89-4D76-9EBD-E146D67862F2

Ford Bronco Sport Washed the Bronco and finally gave him his name 1A04B5CB-FAF5-4B1B-9F76-8D212FBFE905
Sponsored

OP
OP
CactusGreyBronco

CactusGreyBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Memo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport, 2017 Flex 365 HP/EcoBoost,VW GL
Dang , I might have to use the Spanish spelling Bronquito. I think thats how you would spell it.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
I have never kneaded the clay after I softened it up at first. The only thing I have done is fold it as it gets “dirty”. As long as you keep folding that dirt into the clay and you’re using a clay lubricant spray, you should find that the clay gets softer as you continue.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
I normally don’t name my cars until they become old. And then, it’s always the same name. “POS”

Like Eric said, fold the dirt in and always lubricate.

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
Washed and did a clay bar on the Bronco today. I had been wanting to clay bar it for a while but wanted to make sure the paint was thourgly cured before.
Well I guess that was a plus to having my Lot Rot Edition sit in the Mexican desert for six months. The paint was certainly fully cured by the time I got it. :)

SgtT11B

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL, 2020 Ford Mustang GT
Normally you give inanimate objects female names.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Well I guess that was a plus to having my Lot Rot Edition sit in the Mexican desert for six months. The paint was certainly fully cured by the time I got it. :)
Read an article...buckle up old guy...we came from an age we had softer paint and the advent of clear coat and new paint polymers experts claim you can wax it the day it comes off the train, no wait required anymore. I used the same logic as you and a guy I know who details cars said go for it. Sooner the better as these new paints are ready to roll.
To your point looking at cars in the southwest most are rust free and pristine assuming they didn't migrate from our area. What I've never done is clay bar. Same guy said don't waste the time and money...wash it regularly and keep a good layer of wax/ceramic. So I listened to him. I'll get back with you in ten years to see how it's doing

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Read an article...buckle up old guy...we came from an age we had softer paint and the advent of clear coat and new paint polymers experts claim you can wax it the day it comes off the train, no wait required anymore. I used the same logic as you and a guy I know who details cars said go for it. Sooner the better as these new paints are ready to roll.
To your point looking at cars in the southwest most are rust free and pristine assuming they didn't migrate from our area. What I've never done is clay bar. Same guy said don't waste the time and money...wash it regularly and keep a good layer of wax/ceramic. So I listened to him. I'll get back with you in ten years to see how it's doing
I think that once you use the clay bar and feel the difference, you will continue to use it in the future. Once you know how much is still on the paint after you have done your best to wash it, you’ll know that applying a wax/sealant/ceramic will just be capturing that stuff. If you are going to buff the paint at all, then the clay bar is a must because you want that stuff off the paint so that it doesn’t come off and embed in your buffing pad and just scratch the paint you are trying to buff. It sounds like overkill but in the end it is just another step to getting a good finish. It’s all about the prep time as the finish only takes a little time to apply.

The thing that got me started using clay was a car that I bought for my ex-wife. It had some dark specs on a light green metallic that I tried everything I had to remove. Nothing budged those dark spots. Then I found the clay bar at the local auto parts store (maybe in 2001 or 2002). The clay was the only thing that even budged them and it just pulled them right off.

The test that I have used and heard from several sources is to put your hand in a very thin plastic bag. I think the best is the old fashioned sandwich bag, the kind that you folded closed (no zip lock) or something like a bread bag works too. With some water or detail spray on the pain, rub your hand (inside the bag) over the paint and you will feel the containments in the paint. Then clay bar the car and do the same test. You won’t feel that any more.

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
Mine came in heavily spotted. Dealer detail guy couldn't get them out. Said he would cut through the paint trying to get them out.

Cuda here helped me out and said to use a 3n1 wax. That and a black pad on my orbital polisher got 95% of them out.

Try the clay bar, I was super skeptical of it but once I used it I was converted.

Talk about old guy stuff. My brother and I painted my 69 mustang in red lacquer !

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Mine came in heavily spotted. Dealer detail guy couldn't get them out. Said he would cut through the paint trying to get them out.

Cuda here helped me out and said to use a 3n1 wax. That and a black pad on my orbital polisher got 95% of them out.

Try the clay bar, I was super skeptical of it but once I used it I was converted.

Talk about old guy stuff. My brother and I painted my 69 mustang in red lacquer !
good to know. I worked with a guy who owns a number of high-end Vettes, Camaro, challenger, etc. His cars are immaculate. He built a washing bay in his new garage...yeah...anal. He tried the clay bar on his challenger which was a year one modern and keeps it up on blocks except the nicest of days. Said it really messed up his paint. Had to get it pro-detailed to get the marks out, I'd wager he did something wrong...but after that, I've been very hesitant.
Sponsored