Was going to trade in my Prius for BSB

Jubaea1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
With gas prices going bonkers, I am getting nervous about getting a vehicle that gets only 30/25 mpg. We ordered a BS Oct.28 when gas was somewhat ‘normal’ and planned on trading in my 2009 Prius. Now, if we ever get a BSB (possibly built next week), I am thinking I will keep the Prius for now. The BSB will be for fun only…not driven everyday. My Prius has 230,000 miles and is still going strong..and still gets 50 mpg minimum. I am still running the original battery! Anyone else getting nervous?
Sponsored

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Nope. I am comfortable with my gas mileage but my last few cars and trucks have been FX4 that got 11 mpg and Porsche that got 12 and my BMW got 16. So getting about 27, is more than ok with me. (I have an Outer Banks and not a Badlands)

It is a matter of what trade-offs are affordable and desirable. Luckily, I’m in a situation where an undesirable vehicle like a Prius is not an issue because affordability of gas in the Bronco Sport is not an issue.

Also, to clarify, your badlands will get 21/26 and not 30/25.

And lastly, the hybrid is rumored for 2024. If you’re going to fret over gas and think that the Bronco Sport is not a daily commuter, I would disagree but suggest you wait for that Hybrid.

Edit: just a thought, don’t ask for opinions if you are going to get sardonic pissy about someone disagreeing with you.

Last edited:

Adam CW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Our current vehicle is a 2019 Ford Escape Titanium AWD. It has the same engine (2.0 Ecoboost) as the BS Badlands we are waiting for.

The Escape averages 23mpg. We expect the BS to get the same, hopefully a little better (maybe 24!).

It’s certainly more expensive to fill the tank now. Thankfully, it’s not really a problem financially right now, but it is annoying and everyone has a limit.

I remember when it cost about $27 to fill up. It was $63 yesterday.

OP
OP
Jubaea1

Jubaea1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
How nice for you, Tigger, not to care about gas prices.
My ‘ undesireable’ Prius sits in the garage all day since I have retired. Used to travel 100 miles daily and the Prius made that drive bearable. The BSB will also sit in garage with my Prius during the wee, too. i don’t commute anywhere...My husband and I plan to trade in the BSB in 3 years for an EV. We will keep the Prius as a backup. Have 2 other vehicles . Wish that EV infrastructure was further advanced today, charging station-wise.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Jubaea1

Jubaea1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Our current vehicle is a 2019 Ford Escape Titanium AWD. It has the same engine (2.0 Ecoboost) as the BS Badlands we are waiting for.

The Escape averages 23mpg. We expect the BS to get the same, hopefully a little better (maybe 24!).

It’s certainly more expensive to fill the tank now. Thankfully, it’s not really a problem financially right now, but it is annoying and everyone has a limit.

I remember when it cost about $27 to fill up. It was $63 yesterday.
If gas goes to $10 gal here in NC, that might change driving habits. I remember gas being 24 cents a gallon back in the day. Hope your BS arrives soon.

HomePeace

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Big Bend
All you guys and your $5.00 gas. Out here in California we are averaging $6.19 for regular. I don't notice because my commute is all of 9 miles one way and barely get to go freeway speeds. What is interesting is public transit ridership is up over 20% in the last month, due to gas prices.

I am a transit planner and the last time gas prices were high in the early 'teens ridership also went up. Go figure.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Already have my Badlands, not much I can do about it at this point. It’s my DD so about a gallon per day. I did like it better a couple of years ago when gas was at 2.00 but we all knew that would not stay there.

thegadgetfish

Outer Banks
First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
It cost me $83 to fill up my OBX yesterday. I get around 31mpg, but I was definitely thinking about going hybrid/EV!

None of them really excite me though, other than the Rivian and I’m definitely not paying 80k+ for a vehicle ever. Patiently waiting for the BS hybrid to be announced.

WLK

Badlands
First Name
Wendy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I sold my 2019 Ford Fusion Hybrid (50mpg) to buy the BS. I work from home permanently now and have no plans to commute again for work. If I was commuting I would have kept the car. It's hard on the battery if the car is not driven. I would need a new battery before the car miled out. Plus Ford sets the battery life to 9-10 years, after that you have to have them reset the battery age.

Last edited:

ScareCrow

Badlands
First Name
Burl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS/Badlands
I sold my 2019 Ford Fusion Hybrid (50mpg) to buy the BS. I work from home permanently now and have no plans to commute again for work. If I was commuting I would have kept the car. It's hard on the battery if the car is not driven. I would need a new battery before the car miled out. Plus Ford sets the battery life to 9-10 years, after that you have to have it reset the battery age.
So, how did the battery hold up in the Canadian winters? Lose much capacity?

WLK

Badlands
First Name
Wendy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I liv e
So, how did the battery hold up in the Canadian winters? Lose much capacity?
I live on the west coast, we don't get much of a winter. No capacity issues.
Sponsored