BodieBronco

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport 2023
If your car is like mine, you may have noticed the displayed mileage is significantly different from actual.
[/QUOTE]
are you consistently talking about fuel mileage here? Or do you also notice that your odometer is registering more miles than you've actually driven?

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
Interesting. If the engineering test mode allows for tweaking the average fuel economy bias to make it more realistic to "actual fuel average", wouldn't the manufacturer be in trouble with the EPA for having incorrect initial settings?

I understand that if an owner changed tire sizes, or modified the engine from stock, then yes, change what's needed to get true MPG readings due to these modifications, and that would be no fault of the manufacturer.

Seems I recall that VW a few years back got in severe trouble by fudging numbers with their diesel fuel economy advertisements. They had fudged with the mapped software to get bogus (better) MPG readings.

Last edited:

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Interesting. If the engineering test mode allows for tweaking the average fuel economy bias to make it more realistic to "actual fuel average", wouldn't the manufacturer be in trouble with the EPA for having incorrect initial settings?

I understand that if an owner changed tire sizes, or modified the engine from stock, then yes, change what's needed to get true MPG readings due to these modifications, and that would be no fault of the manufacturer.

Seems I recall that VW a few years back got in severe trouble by fudging numbers with their diesel fuel economy advertisements. They had fudged with the mapped software to get bogus (better) MPG readings.
The Mileage listed for the BS is calculated using a test track with very specific parameters. The result is an average, aka "estimate". Every Bronco Sport owner will get a slightly different estimate. Personal driving habits, location, elevation, cargo weight, topography, etc etc will effect mpg. There is no comparison to a test track versus real world driving. That is why Ford calls it a estimate.

VW over inflated their estimate so far outside of real world driving that not even a hyper-miler could match. There will always be some that drive with zero regard to economy and others that drive to maximize every ounce of fuel. All are either going to get less or exceed the Ford estimate. Personally I far exceed Fords estimated mpg.

One thing I found is the ECU average was off about 5% from my math. After about 3000 miles the ECU closed the gap to less that 1%. I thought about adjusting the programming but a 1% difference wasn't worth it. I would wait until you get 3000 miles or more before adjusting the programming or you might be chasing a number that is always moving.

OP
OP
Mark S.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
That is why Ford calls it a estimate.
The true value of the EPA estimated fuel mileage figure is that it's a tool for comparison between different brands and models.

I would wait until you get 3000 miles or more before adjusting the programming or you might be chasing a number that is always moving.
That's possible, but I've been tracking fuel economy on mine for +13K miles now over four full seasons under the same use profile and the displayed fuel mileage remains consistently optimistic. I changed the correction factor, but it's still not dialed in. I keep a running log of fuel used vs miles driven; you can view the data at this link:

https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/2-0l-mpg-fuel-mileage.4723/

I've recently switched to using Premium to see if there's any increase in fuel economy. I've already conducted this experiment once (see data at the link), with negative results. I'm trying it again now that I have several thousand miles on the vehicle. Stay tuned for updates...

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
The true value of the EPA estimated fuel mileage figure is that it's a tool for comparison between different brands and models.

That's possible, but I've been tracking fuel economy on mine for +13K miles now over four full seasons under the same use profile and the displayed fuel mileage remains consistently optimistic. I changed the correction factor, but it's still not dialed in. I keep a running log of fuel used vs miles driven; you can view the data at this link:

https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/2-0l-mpg-fuel-mileage.4723/

I've recently switched to using Premium to see if there's any increase in fuel economy. I've already conducted this experiment once (see data at the link), with negative results. I'm trying it again now that I have several thousand miles on the vehicle. Stay tuned for updates...
Sounds good, this is a interesting thread for me. Anything I can do to get a extra mile or two a gallon is my goal. After 15K my mpg average is holding at 33.7. I'm really trying to get to 34 while still keeping to speed limits and driving without creating a road rage event)

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
I notice my speedometer routinely shows 1 mph slower than the radar signs I drive past. Is there an easy way to adjust that?

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Have you changed your wheels or tires? If not your speedo is factory calibrated already. I would question the radar accuracy. There is a window of radar contact. If you are outside the contact area you will get a lower radar reading due to the angle of approach. The Ford dealer can confirm the factory calibration which should be spot on if no changes have been made. They can also recalbrate if you changed anything.

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
My Badlands has the Falkan 235/65R17 tires that came from the factory. My wife's car reads exactly what the radar signs read. I realize not all radar signs are calibrated correctly, but my car consistently shows me going faster than what the radars say. When these tires wear out, I'll buy some larger diameter tires. Until then, it doesn't make sense to change it. I use the Waze app on my phone, and it shows the same thing.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
My Badlands has the Falkan 235/65R17 tires that came from the factory. My wife's car reads exactly what the radar signs read. I realize not all radar signs are calibrated correctly, but my car consistently shows me going faster than what the radars say. When these tires wear out, I'll buy some larger diameter tires. Until then, it doesn't make sense to change it. I use the Waze app on my phone, and it shows the same thing.
The difference of 1mph is not really enough to be concerned about, especially since your speedo shows 1mph faster.

OP
OP
Mark S.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
The difference of 1mph is not really enough to be concerned about, especially since your speedo shows 1mph faster.
I think he meant to say his speedo consistently reads slower than actual speed.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
I notice my speedometer routinely shows 1 mph slower than the radar signs I drive past. Is there an easy way to adjust that?
Go faster if you want the ticket!

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
I think he meant to say his speedo consistently reads slower than actual speed.
Either way, 1 mph is not reason for concern.

GJarrett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Sport, 2017 EcoBoost Mustang
I am on the Mustang forum and changed my optimistic mpg readings to actual years ago. Great hack, I was wondering if it would work on a BS.
Sponsored