Used the built in Navigation program pretty extensively yesterday

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Had a widow friend who needed some help, so we went over for a while. She lives kind of in the middle of nowhere so the Navigation program got a work out.

Things I didn't like:
The distances to a turn that it announces are a bit on the high side IMO, like if it says 200 feet, it's more like 125 feet or so.

If you're close and haven't turned, it doesn't say anything and lets you make your mistake. The iPhone mapping program almost yells at you when you're close and haven't started turning.

It's not extremely obvious how to cancel your current trip if you decide to do so before arriving. I finally found how to do it, but it wasn't as obvious as the iPhone program is.

Things I did like:
The program recomputed faster than my iPhone navigation program when I ignored an order to turn and kept on going. I was impressed.

When I was going into a housing development, it showed houses in sort of a 2d, almost 3d display. I was also impressed with this.

Edited to add:

Updated my iPhone to iOS 15 yesterday and guess what? The Navigation program now also has a sort of 2d look to it. I guess that's the latest thing in the gps mapping world.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
Regarding distance to turn, don’t forget that GPS is not 100% accurate. It has a tolerance that it works within.
I’m guessing that you didn’t get out and measure the distance by hand, right?

OP
OP
Flash

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Nope, but I'm a lifelong hunter and spend time regularly guessing unknown distances and then measuring them with a digital rangefinder.

Again, the iPhone gps program gives accurate distances, the Bronco one doesn't.
Sponsored