USB Port Turns Off After Around 10 Minutes

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I was out with a friend and his iPhone battery got pretty low. So I plugged it in the USB port under the dash display and off we went for an hour or so.

Came back, opened the door and heard charging turn on again (makes a distinctive sound). Turns out the USB port turns off after you close the doors and walk away.

I'm going to test the cigarette lighter and see if it does it also as this could be disastrous if you'd been in an accident and needed to charge your phone to get help.

Okay, I tested the cigarette lighter using a plug in Cigarette lighter to 2 USB port charger and waited 15 minutes, then checked. It stayed on the whole time.

Good to know.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: RS1
OP
OP
Flash

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Yeah, but why? If you leave something plugged into one of the USB ports and forget it, the port will only source 2-1/2 to 3 AMPs at 5 volts.

But the cigarette lighter port will source 12 Volts at close to 10 amps before the fuse blows, which is a lot more.

Of course, if you leave the cigarette lighter port hot and nothing's plugged into it, it draws no current but if you leave the USB ports hot with nothing plugged in, they'll draw around 5mA. Perhaps that's the reason Ford turns them off.
Sponsored

Reactions: Jrl