Update: Maybe not...Maybe (Got this for my OB and I LOVE IT! Wireless CarPlay Adapter)

I'm over here

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I got my OB last Monday. And one week later, I installed this Wireless CarPlay Adapter. It is currently on sale at Amazon for $87.50 (Regular $125.00). Set up didn't take long (although the directions were a bit less than useful). I LOVE IT! IMHO Everyone should have one! :) [Be sure to order the 2021-2022 model and not the 2016-2020 model.]

Ford Bronco Sport Update: Maybe not...Maybe (Got this for my OB and I LOVE IT! Wireless CarPlay Adapter) 1638226727024
Sponsored

Last edited:

Michigunman

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I got my OB last Monday. And one week later, I installed this Wireless CarPlay Adapter. It is currently on sale at Amazon for $87.50 (Regular $125.00). Set up didn't take long (although the directions were a bit less than useful). I LOVE IT! IMHO Everyone should have one! :) [Be sure to order the 2021-2022 model and not the 2016-2020 model.]

Ford Bronco Sport Update: Maybe not...Maybe (Got this for my OB and I LOVE IT! Wireless CarPlay Adapter) 1638226727024
So have you had much chance to use this? I have read/heard mixed reviews about these devices in general. How is it performing?

elmhead

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
I got this a couple weeks ago. Works very well AFTER you update the firmware. It's easy to do, just follow the included directions.

WinTech

Big Bend
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BB, 2022 Passport, 2023 HR-V
I've been using the cplay2air in my Ranger and it works great. I Don't expect anything different in my Bronco from it. I purchased a short usb extension cable and tucked it under the dash in the Ranger. Hoping my BS has a similar place to do the same thing.

OP
OP
I'm over here

I'm over here

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
So have you had much chance to use this? I have read/heard mixed reviews about these devices in general. How is it performing?
Yes, mixed reviews. Turns out that although it 'works with Bronco Sports' it doesn't real-world end up working in all Bronco Sports. I don't use Siri in my car, but tried that after you asked how it was going. It kicked me out. I got texts and it was going fine... until I got a text that was an image. Kicked me out. Today got super frustrated troubleshooting with the adapter's website, my car, and my phone. Now it doesn't work as well as it did when I first got it, and my phone is a bit messed up too. Argh! Fortunately I have until Jan 31 to return it. Which is what I'm afraid I'm going to have to do. :-(

OP
OP
I'm over here

I'm over here

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I got this a couple weeks ago. Works very well AFTER you update the firmware. It's easy to do, just follow the included directions.
Yours included directions. Mine included this tiny little booklet with tiny little words that were 'English-as-a-second-language' style. Can you post a picture of the directions you have?

WinTech

Big Bend
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BB, 2022 Passport, 2023 HR-V
I see @WinTech has a cplay2air. The one I got is a carlinkit. I'm wondering if the cplay2air is a better option. Thoughts?
Works great in the Bronco just like it did in the Ranger. I've also tried it in our Passport and HR-V without any issues. The instructions were pretty clear. The thing displays a bunch of chinese characters when it boots up but there have been no issues at all using it. It's currently on sale for $100. www.cplay2air.com

elmhead

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
Yours included directions. Mine included this tiny little booklet with tiny little words that were 'English-as-a-second-language' style. Can you post a picture of the directions you have?
Sure. Let me see if I can dig it up.

OP
OP
I'm over here

I'm over here

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Googling around I found a 293+ comment thread on another forum about Sync3 to wireless. Lots of problems, but mainly with Siri. So, I gave it another try. On the last episode of "Sync3: Is Collaboration Possible" I ended with the iPhone reconnecting to the Carlinkit after making it Forget the Device repeatedly. No difference turning each thing off and on in different orders. Today, after much negotiating, a truce was finally ironed out between my OB, iPhone8, and Carlinkit. At the beginning of negotiations, Carlinkit wouldn't even join the conversation (not a red light or green light, just no light). After further iterations of Who's On First, the Carlinkit joined in. And after much cajoling, they all agreed that if I never use Siri in the car, then the three of them would come to terms and work together (mostly). So, not where I'd like to be, but wireless all the same (until someone texts me an image). In summary, I will file this away with All The Things You Never Had to Have.

radioboy77

Outer Banks
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I’ve had one since last January when I got my OBX. It always rebooted when trying to use Siri until they FINALLY updated the firmware in September. It’s been working great since then!! Completely seamless experience.

OP
OP
I'm over here

I'm over here

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I’ve had one since last January when I got my OBX. It always rebooted when trying to use Siri until they FINALLY updated the firmware in September. It’s been working great since then!! Completely seamless experience.
Spurred on by your post, I just re- reupdated the software again. I had already run an update, but I figured what the heck. Both times I updated, it was to Nov.24 version. And, at least for now, for whatever reason, Siri is working. We'll see what happens when I turn the car on again.

OP
OP
I'm over here

I'm over here

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Spurred on by your post, I just re- reupdated the software again. I had already run an update, but I figured what the heck. Both times I updated, it was to Nov.24 version. And, at least for now, for whatever reason, Siri is working. We'll see what happens when I turn the car on again.
Even with all its quirks, this has been awesome to have on my cross-country road trip.

Tom 5778

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cyber Orange OB, Factory Five Racing roadster
My CarPlay use is mostly for Waze. If my phone is not Plugged in (i.e., using the battery) when using Waze, the battery runs down very quickly. It seems, at least for me I would need both wireless charging and wireless CarPlay to be viable.
Sponsored