LGAVERY53

Badlands
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Ford Bronco Sport
I've owned my '22 Bronco Sport Badlands for 6 months now, have made a few changes to the exterior... mine is Oxford White and had white lettering on the rear liftgate! Terrible look in my opinion so I purchase new "Bronco Sport" lettering in black to replace them. Much better look. I do have another pet peeve though, I do not like the way the front turn signals turn off the adjacent driving light...why? I spoke to a local Ford Service department about it and he said Ford wouldn't touch the current set up. Safety Issue?? All he could suggest is that a third party may come out with a "fix" for this, any comments?

Ford Bronco Sport Turn signal turns driving light on that side off while in use IMG_0942
Sponsored

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
I guess you havenā€™t noticed that many new vehicles exhibit this identical behavior. Iā€™m not sure if it is government mandated or just something the engineers heard about at a trade show and thought was cool.

TXBronco1313

Big Bend
First Name
Emile
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport
I've owned my '22 Bronco Sport Badlands for 6 months now, have made a few changes to the exterior... mine is Oxford White and had white lettering on the rear liftgate! Terrible look in my opinion so I purchase new "Bronco Sport" lettering in black to replace them. Much better look. I do have another pet peeve though, I do not like the way the front turn signals turn off the adjacent driving light...why? I spoke to a local Ford Service department about it and he said Ford wouldn't touch the current set up. Safety Issue?? All he could suggest is that a third party may come out with a "fix" for this, any comments?

Ford Bronco Sport Turn signal turns driving light on that side off while in use IMG_0942
Irrelevant question but did your BS come with the Bronco logo on the back? or did you install it yourself? I was thinking about buying a Bronco Emblem for mine but I wasn't 100% sure how I'm going to make it sit straight and flush

OP
OP
LGAVERY53

LGAVERY53

Badlands
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Ford Bronco Sport
Irrelevant question but did your BS come with the Bronco logo on the back? or did you install it yourself? I was thinking about buying a Bronco Emblem for mine but I wasn't 100% sure how I'm going to make it sit straight and flush
Yes, I added that myself when I had the lettering changed. I used the center point for the FORD oval emblem on the left side as a guide for the BRONCO and just tried to duplicate the 'stance' of the Bronco on the steering wheel.

TXBronco1313

Big Bend
First Name
Emile
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport
Yes, I added that myself when I had the lettering changed. I used the center point for the FORD oval emblem on the left side as a guide for the BRONCO and just tried to duplicate the 'stance' of the Bronco on the steering wheel.
Got it! Yours sits so perfect as it was added in the factory. I'll try to use your way once I end up getting an emblem, hopefully it'll look as good as yours!

OP
OP
LGAVERY53

LGAVERY53

Badlands
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Ford Bronco Sport
I guess you havenā€™t noticed that many new vehicles exhibit this identical behavior. Iā€™m not sure if it is government mandated or just something the engineers heard about at a trade show and thought was cool.
Oh Iā€™ve noticed, just donā€™t like the look. šŸ«¤

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr

Some do, some donā€™t so I donā€™t think it was mandated by law. Unless Iā€™m right behind someone with a very shiny rear end, I donā€™t even notice it. šŸ˜Ž

OuterBanks25

Outer Banks
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
The running light cancels when the turn signal is on as a federal mandate. It's engineered this way so there's no obtrusion when the signal is in use. If the running light was on while the signal is, it would obstruct it since the running light is a bright LED strip. It puts too much strain to the eye when both lights are on and would be difficult to judge to other drivers whether the signal is on or not. Same goes for vehicles with halogen running lights. Some cancel when the turn signal is on for the same reason. One good example is the last-gen Dodge Grand Caravan. So there's a reason why the Ford Dealer won't touch it. And I highly doubt there will be an aftermarket "fix" for it. It would go against D.O.T. regulations. So as hard as it is I would just learn to live with it. Not trying to be a douche or anything but I would just move on.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The running light cancels when the turn signal is on as a federal mandate. It's engineered this way so there's no obtrusion when the signal is in use. If the running light was on while the signal is, it would obstruct it since the running light is a bright LED strip. It puts too much strain to the eye when both lights are on and would be difficult to judge to other drivers whether the signal is on or not. Same goes for vehicles with halogen running lights. Some cancel when the turn signal is on for the same reason. One good example is the last-gen Dodge Grand Caravan. So there's a reason why the Ford Dealer won't touch it. And I highly doubt there will be an aftermarket "fix" for it. It would go against D.O.T. regulations. So as hard as it is I would just learn to live with it. Not trying to be a douche or anything but I would just move on.
Thatā€™s odd, Iā€™m fairly certain Iā€™ve seen some vehicle that the DRLā€™s do not shut off with the turn signals. Iā€™ll have to make a better note of it in the future. One in mind is the newer Ford Explorer. I could be wrong, but since most do it I did find it noticeable when one didnā€™t.

If they are going to regulate something with the lights, it should be that your dash lights only come on when your tail lights are on. I see so many vehicles driving with only their DRLā€™s on in the dark with no tail lights.

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the difference is LED vs non-LED DRLs.

OuterBanks25

Outer Banks
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Thatā€™s odd, Iā€™m fairly certain Iā€™ve seen some vehicle that the DRLā€™s do not shut off with the turn signals. Iā€™ll have to make a better note of it in the future. One in mind is the newer Ford Explorer. I could be wrong, but since most do it I did find it noticeable when one didnā€™t.

If they are going to regulate something with the lights, it should be that your dash lights only come on when your tail lights are on. I see so many vehicles driving with only their DRLā€™s on in the dark with no tail lights.
I think the reason why certain cars have canceling running lights and some don't is because it depends on how much light it projects. If it's not bright enough for obtrusion, it won't cancel. If it does, then it will cancel. The current-gen Ford Explorer has a very tiny LED front turn signal that does not interfere with the LED running light atop. That's probably why it doesn't cancel out the running light.

I do agree with the dash lights. Far too many oblivious drivers are driving around at night with no lights on because modern-day LED running lights are so bright they think they're the headlights. It's also due to the fact that modern gauge clusters are backlit and contain LCD screens falsifying the driver's understanding. What I don't understand is most cars nowadays come with automatic headlights. But for the people who choose to manually override them, why do you do this? There's a reason automatic headlights exist. Just don't touch it. Let the car do the thinking. Plus, it's one less thing you have to worry about.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the reason why certain cars have canceling running lights and some don't is because it depends on how much light it projects. If it's not bright enough for obtrusion, it won't cancel. If it does, then it will cancel. The current-gen Ford Explorer has a very tiny LED front turn signal that does not interfere with the LED running light atop. That's probably why it doesn't cancel out the running light.

I do agree with the dash lights. Far too many oblivious drivers are driving around at night with no lights on because modern-day LED running lights are so bright they think they're the headlights. It's also due to the fact that modern gauge clusters are backlit and contain LCD screens falsifying the driver's understanding. What I don't understand is most cars nowadays come with automatic headlights. But for the people who choose to manually override them, why do you do this? There's a reason automatic headlights exist. Just don't touch it. Let the car do the thinking. Plus, it's one less thing you have to worry about.
Did a little snooping on the internet (since itā€™s never wrong). Sounds exactly as you say. As long as it does distract from the turn single either by location or strength of light, it can remain on.

As far as the autolamps, too bad they didnā€™t also tie them to the windshield wipers as in Wisconsin, itā€™s now a law that you need lights on if your windshield wipers are on.

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As far as the autolamps, too bad they didnā€™t also tie them to the windshield wipers as in Wisconsin, itā€™s now a law that you need lights on if your windshield wipers are on.
Hmmmā€¦ when my lamps are on auto they come on when I turn on the wipers.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmmmā€¦ when my lamps are on auto they come on when I turn on the wipers.
I just tried it this weekend. Maybe there is a setting someplace. I guess Iā€™ll have to pull out the manual or ask @Osco since he keeps his on his potty.