Trouble with reverse on inclines

Gartallica

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Does anyone else have this problem? I've got a '21 BS/OB and live at the top of a hill. It's not extreme at all. If I'm pulling in, I have to drive up my driveway, turn a bit where the driveway goes back downhill, then reverse back up the hill so I'm facing the bottom of my driveway.

I notice there's EXTREME rolling forward, down the hill when I try to back up. We're talking a couple of feet. Compounding this problem is that our other car is there and I've almost hit it a couple of times, having to burn out in reverse to stop it rolling forward (like I'm driving a manual).

I should point out that the first BS I bought had the clutch blow out when I tried reversing up a hill. I'm fully stopped before shifting into reverse, so I don't get why I'm having such an issue here.
Sponsored

KodiakMomCrawler

Outer Banks
First Name
Maria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks, 2021 Ranger Tremor
Put your left foot on the brake and keep it there when shifting into reverse. Don't take your left foot off the brake until you step on the accelerator pedal with your right foot.
I agree.
My driveway is on a hill too and haven’t had an issue. I’ve had cars with worse roll than this one. I accelerate quick once shifting into reverse.

OP
OP

Gartallica

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I agree.
My driveway is on a hill too and haven’t had an issue. I’ve had cars with worse roll than this one. I accelerate quick once shifting into reverse.
Crazy. I do the two-foot dance with the brake but the engine hesitates so much that I have to finally floor it to get a response. Maybe if I put it in sport mode it'll work out better.

KodiakMomCrawler

Outer Banks
First Name
Maria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crazy. I do the two-foot dance with the brake but the engine hesitates so much that I have to finally floor it to get a response. Maybe if I put it in sport mode it'll work out better.
Hmm ? I haven’t noticed an extreme roll on mine, but I’m going to pay closer attention next time. Don’t want you to think something is wrong with your BS. I just know I had it worse with prior vehicles that this didn’t seem like an issue to me. Will report back. Also, give yourself a few feet between the other car to anticipate it rolling a little.

OP
OP

Gartallica

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Hmm ? I haven’t noticed an extreme roll on mine, but I’m going to pay closer attention next time. Don’t want you to think something is wrong with your BS. I just know I had it worse with prior vehicles that this didn’t seem like an issue to me. Will report back. Also, give yourself a few feet between the other car to anticipate it rolling a little.
Let me know! I've gone from giving myself 3ft to 7ft or so but there's not a ton of room to maneuver. I'll also report back after trying Sport mode.

Kodiakbear

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
Does anyone else have this problem? I've got a '21 BS/OB and live at the top of a hill. It's not extreme at all. If I'm pulling in, I have to drive up my driveway, turn a bit where the driveway goes back downhill, then reverse back up the hill so I'm facing the bottom of my driveway.

I notice there's EXTREME rolling forward, down the hill when I try to back up. We're talking a couple of feet. Compounding this problem is that our other car is there and I've almost hit it a couple of times, having to burn out in reverse to stop it rolling forward (like I'm driving a manual).

I should point out that the first BS I bought had the clutch blow out when I tried reversing up a hill. I'm fully stopped before shifting into reverse, so I don't get why I'm having such an issue here.
Isn't that what the "brake hold" feature is for?

Reactions: RS1

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Isn't that what the "brake hold" feature is for?
Mine cuts out when I'm in reverse. Like, I pull up and the brake hold is active. Then I shift to reverse and get out of the street and stop on a slightly sloped driveway. When the door finishes going up, the hill assist holds the car for a split second and then it rolls forward if I am not hitting the gas by then.

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES

Yup. I have that too and I'm not even on a hill its just a normal driveway with a 5-10% decline.

KodiakMomCrawler

Outer Banks
First Name
Maria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I was reversing up my driveway a few times yesterday to see if it rolls and to be honest, mine really doesn’t roll at all. When I first shift into reverse it holds in place as I’m starting to accelerate. I then stopped halfway in my driveway to see if it rolls and then it started to roll before I accelerated again. When I shifted back into drive and then reverse again, it held it in place until I started accelerating again. That’s probably why I never paid much attention to it before reading your post. Again, I had other cars that would roll a lot and I almost had to “catch” it with my accelerator. My BS really doesn’t do that. Another thing to consider is how steep your driveway is. Maybe mine is not as steep..

OP
OP

Gartallica

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
So I was reversing up my driveway a few times yesterday to see if it rolls and to be honest, mine really doesn’t roll at all. When I first shift into reverse it holds in place as I’m starting to accelerate. I then stopped halfway in my driveway to see if it rolls and then it started to roll before I accelerated again. When I shifted back into drive and then reverse again, it held it in place until I started accelerating again. That’s probably why I never paid much attention to it before reading your post. Again, I had other cars that would roll a lot and I almost had to “catch” it with my accelerator. My BS really doesn’t do that. Another thing to consider is how steep your driveway is. Maybe mine is not as steep..
I appreciate you giving this a shot. I don't have a steep incline at all and what you're describing is what I'd expect. Mine really does behave like I'm driving a manual and rolling forward until the gears catch.

The last two times I used Sport GOAT mode and it didn't roll at all. I'll use Normal again next time to see if it rolls again (which I suspect it will). This is starting to sound more like an issue with the response in some specific BSs and not an engineering issue overall.

KodiakMomCrawler

Outer Banks
First Name
Maria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I appreciate you giving this a shot. I don't have a steep incline at all and what you're describing is what I'd expect. Mine really does behave like I'm driving a manual and rolling forward until the gears catch.

The last two times I used Sport GOAT mode and it didn't roll at all. I'll use Normal again next time to see if it rolls again (which I suspect it will). This is starting to sound more like an issue with the response in some specific BSs and not an engineering issue overall.
That sucks, sorry. I’m also wondering if it could possibly be a change in the engineering. FWIW, I bought mine off the dealer lot in May 2021.

OP
OP

Gartallica

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport

This morning our other car wasn't in the way so I pulled in, put it in reverse and took my foot off the brake. I rolled forward all the way down the hill. Again, not steep by any stretch.
This afternoon I had it in Sport mode and there was no rolling. ?‍♂
Sponsored