Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
I have a 2.0 with a 8 speed transmission, does anyone know at what speed it should be shifting into each gear. Mine has not gone above 6 th gear . Thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
I have a 2.0 with a 8 speed transmission, does anyone know at what speed it should be shifting into each gear. Mine has not gone above 6 th gear . Thanks
A lot of times these transmissions you can't hit the higher gears. In my Cherokee you can't hit the 9th gear. Remember they might use that transmission in multiple vehicles that can hit the higher gears.

jamie1073

Badlands
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
You should be in 8th gear over 60 or 65 mph. Here is the spec sheet with the gear ratios. You may not actually feel the shifts into 7th and 8th due to how close the ratios are and how smooth this transmission seems to be. But I assure you, as long as there is no problems with the transmission, that it is in 8th gear over 60 mph. Mine will be in 8th and at around 2000 RPM at 75 MPH. Basically the same as my 8 speed Edge ST did.

2021 Bronco Sport Preliminary Specs (ford.com)

Last edited:

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
You should be in 8th gear over 60 or 65 mph. Here is the spec sheet with the gear ratios. You may not actually feel the shifts into 7th and 8th due to how close the ratios are and how smooth this transmission seems to be. But I assure you, as long as there is no problems with the transmission, that it is in 8th gear over 60 mph. Mine will be in 8th and at around 2000 RPM at 75 MPH. Basically the same as my 8 speed Edge ST did.

2021 Bronco Sport Preliminary Specs (ford.com)
Good info, thanks for posting. I read on the fb Bronco Sport page that second gear is programmed out on BS"s. In other words, it shifts from one to three. I had already noticed something odd about shifts out of first at low throttle. I thought maybe it was just that the turbo wasn't spooled. Anyone heard of this?

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
Good info, thanks for posting. I read on the fb Bronco Sport page that second gear is programmed out on BS"s. In other words, it shifts from one to three. I had already noticed something odd about shifts out of first at low throttle. I thought maybe it was just that the turbo wasn't spooled. Anyone heard of this?
Now why would you eliminate a gear ratio in a Transmission , doesn't make a lot of sense , the main reason for the eight ratio's is for fuel savings , loosing one or programming it out , you might as well just put a six speed in .My OB seems to get all of them , though the Transmission has its own computer & your driving habits may alter its shifting or how fast it shifts , you may not notice .

Y2Dre

Badlands
First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is there a way to actually know what gear the car is in? I know you can feel it when the car shifts and can see when the RPMs bounce. But, is there some setting that will actually tell you: "The car is in X gear." I'm guessing no, but it never hurts to ask.

jamie1073

Badlands
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is there a way to actually know what gear the car is in? I know you can feel it when the car shifts and can see when the RPMs bounce. But, is there some setting that will actually tell you: "The car is in X gear." I'm guessing no, but it never hurts to ask.
Only in the BL or FE since they have paddle shifters.

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
It wouldn't do that. It will start in second gear in snow mode. It should be a really short first gear because it's an especially low first gear.

jamie1073

Badlands
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now why would you eliminate a gear ratio in a Transmission , doesn't make a lot of sense , the main reason for the eight ratio's is for fuel savings , loosing one or programming it out , you might as well just put a six speed in .My OB seems to get all of them , though the Transmission has its own computer & your driving habits may alter its shifting or how fast it shifts , you may not notice .
It may skip the gear depending on what you are doing, like if flooring it from a stop it may skip 2nd gear like some other vehicles do. My Edge ST would skip 2nd gear when flooring it off the line because 2nd and 3rd were so close. But that is the only reason it would skip 2nd gear as far as I can tell.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I have yet to 'floor' my Baby Bronc.
I doubt I ever will.
But when briskly accelerating to say 50, 60 mph It feels like I use about five of the eight gears.
Feels, sounds like it goes 2,3,4,5 and 7.
Seems like 8th only happens when I'm north of 65 and on level ground for a bit.

Last edited:

VirtualJMills

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport

Clarebear

Badlands
First Name
Clare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
...future owner of Bronco Sport
I posted some background on the 8F35, it does appear to be using skip-shift for automatic transitions (1 .. 3 .. 4 or 1 .. 2 .. 4), and leaves non-skip-shift (1 .. 2 .. 3 .. 4) open for manual (SelectShift paddles) mode.

https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/the-oddity-of-close-2-3-gear-spacing-and-the-ford-8f35-8-speed-automatic-in-bs.3949/
Husband has been using my BS the last week, 10 days as our other car (not a Ford BS) is in the shop...he's been saying that after coming to a full stop the transmission slips or whatever. I asked him if he knew that the (stupid) auto start/stop was the problem, he said it wasn't. Anyone have any issues with slips coming from an absolute stop and lightly pressing the gas?? Our dealer has appt scheduled 15 days out... thanks for any insights. BTW it's a Badlands with Badlands, if it makes any difference.