AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Still want those bumpers! But she explains that well.

“it’s not an off-roader”. Heh.
Roman from TFL said if it had a low he’d call it an off roader which I think is fair. It’s certainly not a soft roader like a CRV or Subaru. I think of it as a light off roader.

It can rock crawl but will overheat and it lacks clearance. But if you want more clearance, more suspension, a low all that you’d end up with a purpose built off roader that chugs gas and isn’t great on the road. And really, I don’t think anyone buys a BS as a rock crawler, it just doesn’t happen.

For a small suv the Badlands really punches above its weight and that’s just a fact by now.

Also, I recently heard Ford wanted to call it the Scout but couldn’t get the naming rights and I think if it was called that it would have cleared up a lot of preconceptions people have about the car

Last edited:

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
At least one explanation of why tube bumpers are not currently available.

hwildey

Big Bend
First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I recently heard Ford wanted to call it the Scout but couldn’t get the naming rights and I think if it was called that it would have cleared up a lot of preconceptions people have about the car
Interesting. A lot of people were just mad that it got the Bronco name....Was it going to be a Bronco Scout? or just Scout? That probably would have made a different group of people mad so ... you can't win them all.

Adam CW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I bet most of the people complaining about the name of the Bronco Sport don’t even own a Bronco.

Who really cares? The Bronco Sport, specifically the Badlands, has shown that it is very capable for what it is

I think the Bronco is cool and I’m not going to criticize it just to be an ass.

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Interesting. A lot of people were just mad that it got the Bronco name....Was it going to be a Bronco Scout? or just Scout? That probably would have made a different group of people mad so ... you can't win them all.
My guess? Bronco Scout, seems to make sense they went from that to Bronco Sport

OP
OP
Folkman

Folkman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Roman from TFL said if it had a low he’d call it an off roader which I think is fair. It’s certainly not a soft roader like a CRV or Subaru. I think of it as a light off roader.

It can rock crawl but will overheat and it lacks clearance. But if you want more clearance, more suspension, a low all that you’d end up with a purpose built off roader that chugs gas and isn’t great on the road. And really, I don’t think anyone buys a BS as a rock crawler, it just doesn’t happen.

For a small suv the Badlands really punches above its weight and that’s just a fact by now.

Also, I recently heard Ford wanted to call it the Scout but couldn’t get the naming rights and I think if it was called that it would have cleared up a lot of preconceptions people have about the car
Totally agree. Yeah, the Scout thing is a bummer too. But I think the bronco moniker fits.

the gas guzzle is one of the main reasons I went sport and not big. I’m not planing to climb boulders, you can go taller with minimal impact and it still gets me to and from work without needing a supply chain following me.

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport

I haven't heard anyone mention over heating on any videos. That seems to be more with the soobie cvt.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I haven't heard anyone mention over heating on any videos. That seems to be more with the soobie cvt.
It's been mentioned a few times in print media. It has to do with the power transfer unit, which uses clutches. The PTU in the Badlands is liquid cooled, which decreases, but doesn't eliminate, its susceptibility to overheating.

https://fordauthority.com/2021/03/2021-ford-bronco-sport-overheating-issues-heres-what-ford-had-to-say/

Keep in mind, the journalist who experienced the issue admitted driving “like a freaking idiot.” Be nice to your vehicle and it will be nice to you.

More here:

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2021-ford-bronco-sport-overheating-ptu-issue-curbs-the-crossover-s-credibility-157682.html

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
There’s a guy on Reddit who’s taken his out and has had it happen as well. Im inclined to believe he was driving like a mad man as well.

hwildey

Big Bend
First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Totally agree. Yeah, the Scout thing is a bummer too. But I think the bronco moniker fits.

the gas guzzle is one of the main reasons I went sport and not big. I’m not planing to climb boulders, you can go taller with minimal impact and it still gets me to and from work without needing a supply chain following me.
Bronco Scout would have been a cool name...but it doesn't change how I really like the car. Me too, just thought it helped me thread the line with having some fun, looking cool, and being practical. Don't regret going with the sport and don't regret going with Big Bend either.

Wyo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BL, 1968 Bronco, 2018 Expy
Those that think the BS BL can't off-road don't own one or don't off-road. It's funny how many people also think off-roading only means rock crawling.

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
It’s certainly not a soft roader like a CRV or Subaru. I think of it as a light off roader. For a small suv the Badlands really punches above its weight and that’s just a fact by now.
At the risk of stating the obvious, I view the Bronco Sport, especially the Badlands trim, as a right and proper sport utility vehicle. So many "SUVs" barely qualify as such IMHO; the dilution of "SUV" is perhaps why we have to reach for other descriptors when talking about the Bronco Sport.

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
At the risk of stating the obvious, I view the Bronco Sport, especially the Badlands trim, as a right and proper sport utility vehicle. So many "SUVs" barely qualify as such IMHO; the dilution of "SUV" is perhaps why we have to reach for other descriptors when talking about the Bronco Sport.
Thats a really good point. The term SUV got so watered down it feels like anymore it refers to a body style more than anything else. Hell, a Subaru Ascent is an SUV and lets be honest thats a minivan with normal doors. With this watering down of the class in a way the car industry and consumers needed new terms to define what an SUV is, so we got crossovers etc.

Its like there were crossovers, trucks and other classes I'm sure but the original SUV kind of went away or got pulled more towards more road oriented features. So you have SUVs that can handle a dirt road, but so can a civic, so they're more like a bigger car than they are a sport utility vehicle.

I genuinely believe that Ford put something out there that isn't a pure off-roader and isn't a traditional crossover which apparently confused people and back to your point, its not a crossover (yes I know it defined as one but its traits exceed that of more typical crossovers), its not a hardcore off-roader like the big bronco, its a SUV, its made to take you places a car wont go but its not made to hang with the big boys at slick rock.

And it appears Fords move has worked and now Toyota, Honda, not Chevy because look at the blazer what a missed opportunity, are all kind of upping the capabilities of their crossovers as well. Which appears to be a good move and while there are plenty of road oriented crossovers, throw a rock you'll hit one, there was a gap in the market where there weren't crossovers with additional capabilities. So you don't want a small truck or a wrangler/big bronco but you want additional capabilities, there was nothing in the market that really had those traits, aside from the cherokee trailhawk, which the Badlands easily trounces in real world testing (seems like people get too hung up on the equipment versus actually driving the things) and that was kind of it.

Last edited:

Outback Texan

Badlands
First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
What tires was she running?
Sponsored