Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, BMW Z3
So the towing capacity, or lack of, has surfaced again. Can someone explain to me why the 2020 Escape can be set up to tow 3500 lbs, but the Sport can't? The Sport is based on the Escape, so what is the big difference? What am I missing? The 2000 lb towing in the Sport isn't a deal breaker for me, just a disappointment. My OB is due in the next week or so.
Sponsored

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
So the towing capacity, or lack of, has surfaced again. Can someone explain to me why the 2020 Escape can be set up to tow 3500 lbs, but the Sport can't? The Sport is based on the Escape, so what is the big difference? What am I missing?
Typical factors that determine tow capacity include engine and transmission, suspension, and brakes.

Since the 2.0L Escape can tow 3,500, perhaps the contributing factor is the difference in the gear ratios, suspension, or brakes?

OP
OP
Ponyrider

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Typical factors that determine tow capacity include engine and transmission, suspension, and brakes.

Since the 2.0L Escape can tow 3,500, perhaps the contributing factor is the difference in the gear ratios, suspension, or brakes?
Thank you. My husband and I are now having a suspension discussion. Headed to a rabbit hole....

OP
OP
Ponyrider

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you ever figure this out?
Not really. Just discussed it. My husband is the mechanic in the family. He spent some time with me discussing towing, suspensions, etc. I was just curious.

OP
OP
Ponyrider

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd go with...the escape and bronco share a chasis and some internal components. A Bronco Sport is not an escape clone. gear ratios, transimission, suspension, etc are set up for an off-road experience more than pull a boat experience.
Yeah, I get it. I'm happy my OB can pull our 1100 lb camper better than our Wrangler. Wheelbase length makes a big difference.

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
I'm not an expert... Just a guy with opinions :)

Think stability and ability.

What affects stability? Suspension, wheel base, center of gravity, etc...

Ability: Horsepower, strength of driveline components and what is often overlooked, cooling capacity. Cooling capacity of the entire driveline. If the engine, trans or differentials can't stay cool under load, you need to reduce the load.

Also don't forget tires. The tires have to carry the load. If you increase the load rating of the tires you almost always increase ride harshness as you lose sidewall flex.

Having said all that... I think they want the Ranger to handle mid size towing and they don't want Bronco Sport eating into that market. They are doing the same with the Maverick.
Sponsored