OP
OP

Tabbi Cat

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco sport
what is the towing capacity of your camper. If you register for total combination weight and do not exceed towing capacity, buy a trailer.

I have done the math and would be 1000 lbs over with that combo. I'm not worried about handling 1000 lbs over except if was in an accident all fingers would point to me!
Sponsored

seoden88

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Sport Badlands
To be clear. I am not flat towing. I would remove the rear drive shaft(easy to remove) The Bronco would then be towed with the front wheels on a dolly. The question is can I drive it as a 2 wheel drive as I would not reinstall rear drive shaft until fall.
NO you cannot do this. Front and rear relies on each other and uses sesnors. If you want to do this get rid of the bronco and get you a FWD vehicle

fsjdw2

Badlands
First Name
Jerrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 5.0 GT convertible, 2022BS BL(pending)
To be clear. I am not flat towing. I would remove the rear drive shaft(easy to remove) The Bronco would then be towed with the front wheels on a dolly. The question is can I drive it as a 2 wheel drive as I would not reinstall rear drive shaft until fall.
DONT! The rear wheels are Still spinning in this case. The rear wheels are connected to driveshaft via the rear differential . The rear diff will still be spinning despite being being in a powered down state, I would wager That there is a chance that the diff clutch might auto engage based on different left and right wheel speeds during turns, ect. There are also sensors on there like crazy. (Wheel spin, brake effectiveness, diff clutch temp, Diff fluid temp, diff fluid level, ect). So since
The BS was designed To be driven (not towed) the sensors might need a driveshaft spin input as well as some sort of cooling . On Subarus of you flat tow more than 25mph (was in manual at 25 mph I believe) , you were looking at a 2000 bucks differential rebuilds due to the overheated and then blown diffs.

In short, as a non automotive engineer I’d say “shouldn’t be done”.
but if you don’t care what owners manual says or you like your dealership mechanic (and waiting for parts), or you are an automotive Engineer and have considered your known data and determined That you are willing to risk harm based on your superior (to the teams of ford engineers) knowledge of the AWD system go for it.

“any mushroom in the woods is edible once, the safe ones are edible more than once”
Sponsored