Tow hooks for Big Bend trim level. Aftermarket or factory ones ?

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma 2wd
Hello,

I wondered if anyone knew about tow hooks, if the big bend model can you punch out plastic inserts and is there a threaded socket to install one behind plastic punch outs in bumper?

I’m not really looking something super strong enough to tow vehicle, more interested it having to tow hooks/loops to use for a bow strap tie down points when carrying boats like larger kayaks or canoes on top of the roof rack.

At least Ford has them on higher Bronco sport trims and I may just go with badlands for that reason.

Steveo
Sponsored

TheMalamute

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GMC Canyon
Hello,

I wondered if anyone knew about tow hooks, if the big bend model can you punch out plastic inserts and is there a threaded socket to install one behind plastic punch outs in bumper?

I’m not really looking something super strong enough to tow vehicle, more interested it having to tow hooks/loops to use for a bow strap tie down points when carrying boats like larger kayaks or canoes on top of the roof rack.

At least Ford has them on higher Bronco sport trims and I may just go with badlands for that reason.

Steveo
Hey so I looked at one In Person (BB) two weeks ago and I was also curious about it. It looked like there are just plastic covers on where they would be for upper trims. That leads me to believe you could install some later. Hope that helps.

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
I don't think there are tow points in the front of the car like on the Badlands. I bet there will be aftermarket versions, or at least you can buy the part from Ford eventually.

Take a look at this Badlands tear down and see those two front two hooks.
Ford Bronco Sport Tow hooks for Big Bend trim level. Aftermarket or factory ones ? BS_Teardown

TheMalamute

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GMC Canyon
I don't think there are tow points in the front of the car like on the Badlands. I bet there will be aftermarket versions, or at least you can buy the part from Ford eventually.

Ford Bronco Sport Tow hooks for Big Bend trim level. Aftermarket or factory ones ? BS_Teardown
Interesting. I took mine off my canyon a while back when I put on a brush guard. I am only assuming that it is a similar situation.

OP
OP

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma 2wd

Wow thanks everyone for info great photo showing how the tow hooks ate attached/ bolted to frame

BamaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport

NavyBOFH

Big Bend
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
I'm sure that either an aftermarket kit will come out - or the Ford OEM parts will drop in price. I think the current logistics crunch they're seeing is causing issues with supply/demand. For instance, a spare BB 17" wheel is over $750 in the parts catalog!

Theowlhoothoot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Did you end up trying to punch those out to see if they have the compatibility for tow hooks? Thinking of doing the same to my wife's big bend.

Jocker

Base
First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Nudge bar would be another option
I've read never to use Nudge bars or bull bars for recovery or towing. I guess the stress can tear the whole bar off the vehicle. This is only from what I've read but I have never tried it as I dont want to risk pulling my nudge bar off haha.

VirtualJMills

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I've read never to use Nudge bars or bull bars for recovery or towing. I guess the stress can tear the whole bar off the vehicle. This is only from what I've read but I have never tried it as I dont want to risk pulling my nudge bar off haha.
In most countries, rally bars (the thing usually seen sporting lights near the front bumper) are intentionally non-structural, to avoid the need for recertification of that new front-end configuration to crashworthiness.

Actual "bull bars" (as in protection from hitting male kangaroos, in Australia) might be more structural in nature.

Custom built ones, or ones as part of a winch platform or full bumper replacement (vis. ARB, et al.), might also be more structural in nature.

Nudge bars (seen on police / public-service vehicles) might also be more structural in nature, and may have gone through crashworthiness evaluation/certification, •when used on a specially prepared vehicle•.

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
Anyone know if you have to remove the grill/headlights to remove the bumper cover?

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4

compass crusher

Big Bend
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Here's possibly a solution.

A nudge bar install can be a tow point since it's bolted to the frame 🤷.

Ford Bronco Sport Tow hooks for Big Bend trim level. Aftermarket or factory ones ? Screenshot_20230608-081510_Drive

Just a thought🤔
Sponsored