to the 2021 owners, do anything different in 2022?

younglefthander

Big Bend
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport / Maverick
Hello 2021 BS owners. I am new to this forum, found you guys from a Maverick Truck Club thread.
I am really curious, knowing what you know now after having your BS for a little bit now,
if you were ordering a 2022, BB or OB, anything you would do different?
My story. I've always driven cars. When the Maverick came out, seemed like the perfect fit as I've wanted to
get back to a truck like vehicle, but just didn't want to go bigger like the Ranger or F-150.
So I ordered the Hybird, Lariat, Lux Package in June.
Fast forward to a couple weeks ago and saw a BS on the road. Really liked how rugged it looked.
Didn't realize there was a BS, I just thought a Bronco was a Bronco and all I heard was how far behind Ford was in
producing them.
So, naturally I started looking into one. I like the BB & OB. Was able to see both yesterday at the same dealership
where I have the Maverick on order. Wasn't able to drive because they were presold. They do have a few
2021 BB's & OB's on the way. My salesman is going to work up numbers for me. I'll be able to use my X-Plan.
He is also going to work up numbers on 2022 BB & OB. If I do go with a 2022 BS OB, I'm leaning to go with the Tech Package,
Cargo Management, Class 2 towing. 18" wheels.
This 2022 OB package is only $2500 more that the Maverick Lariat Lux Package I have on order.
Just seems to me that for the few extra $$$ the OB is the better value. With that, seriously thinking about
switching to a BS OB.
Really curious what feedback some current BS owners can provide.
Thanks in advanced.
Sponsored

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
I am really curious, knowing what you know now after having your BS for a little bit now,
if you were ordering a 2022, BB or OB, anything you would do different?
I'd order a Badlands 2.0L lol

Not that I regret the Big Bend or plan to sell it, but from what I've read, the difference in fuel economy isn't that great and I'd like the extra power.

That being said, I wouldn't overpay for a Badlands or compromise (e.g., no Copilot 360+) just for the 2.0L engine.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Better first decide if you want a truck or a CUV. The Bronco doesn't haul or tow like a truck, not even a Maverick, which is somewhat similar from a design and build perspective.

OP
OP
younglefthander

younglefthander

Big Bend
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport / Maverick
Better first decide if you want a truck or a CUV. The Bronco doesn't haul or tow like a truck, not even a Maverick, which is somewhat similar from a design and build perspective.
Hear and understand where you are coming from.
IMO, the Maverick is a truck that isn't a truck and a BS is a SUV that isn't a SUV. Make since? Yes, you can price out a Maverick to become a truck but I think you then overprice it. I think the BS looks much more rugged than your typical crossover SUV which is appealing to me. Good thing for me is I will be happy with both. So to answer your question, I want both. I know what I want in the Maverick since I've already ordered one. I might end up ordering a Sport in BB or OB. I was just looking for feedback from those who already have a Sport as to what would they do differently if ordering a 2022. In your case, you have a Badlands, that is not one of the sports I would get so you may not be able to help me in that regard. But any feed back is welcomed. Thanks

Reklussloth

Base
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
Well... i would first say, get what you want/ need... my only other suggestion is if you plan on doing any actual offroading, i would ssuggest going with a 17" rim ... not that it makes a huge difference but sidewall is your friend.

toddedmond

Outer Banks
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camry XSE
I had a similar experience. I didn't know anything about the Mav or the BS. When I first saw reports about the Mav back in June, it really appealed to me. I already had a 2017 Frontier I bought used in 2018 , which I was mostly happy with. After finding out I could sell it for more than I paid for it, I sold it and ordered a Mav Lariat Lux FX4 on 6/14. As time went by, more and more orders were being pulled, then there seemed like new constraints weekly.
I was fearful that I would not have it before winter, and I needed the AWD. I visited another local dealer who was just delivered 4 OB BS's. I test drove the one that had the towing package. I loved the looks and how it drove. I was very surprised with the 3 cyl 1.5.
I put down a deposit after the test drive. When I went back the next day to pick it up, the other three were also sold.
It is Kodiak Brown, which they say isn't returning for 22, that makes it kind of unique, but hard to keep clean. I have had it for almost 2 weeks now, and love it. The only thing I wish it had though is the upgraded audio, don't know if that is worth the $1500 upcharge though. I was able to get my deposit back from the Mav.
Haven't seen the Mav in person, but from videos and pics, I think the BS interior is much nicer. Will miss having a truck, but I can pull my utility trailer with the BS the couple times a year I need to haul big stuff.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Given the option, I wouldn't buy the Bronco Sport again.
I would research the Defender or full size Bronco.

OP
OP
younglefthander

younglefthander

Big Bend
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport / Maverick
Given the option, I wouldn't buy the Bronco Sport again.
I would research the Defender or full size Bronco.
So given a do over you would not get a BS.
What has happened to make you feel this way now if I may ask?

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
1st issue. For me is the limited towing capacity.
2nd issue. Low grade assembly materials, (plastics) interior and exterior that are easily scratched
3rd issue. Water, even though the Badlands which I have is rated for 26 inches of water, some people here have had major problems which makes me hesitant to try water crossings. That limits a lot of fun.

OP
OP
younglefthander

younglefthander

Big Bend
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport / Maverick
2nd issue. Low grade assembly materials, (plastics) interior and exterior that are easily scratched
3rd issue. Water, even though the Badlands which I have is rated for 26 inches of water, some people here have had major problems which makes me hesitant to try water crossings. That limits a lot of fun.
Appreciate the feedback. I am not looking at the badlands but……
The OB and BB towing is the same (2000 I think) as the Maverick. Which is fine for me.
I can’t speak about the interior of the badlands but the OB I sat in seemed much more nicer than the Big Bend which I believe is more geared to a nicer interior. The interior of the BB did seem “less” to me in luxury vs the OB.
Yes, I’ve read that as well regarding the water problem some have had. That should not be an issue for me as I will not do that type of off roaring.

OP
OP
younglefthander

younglefthander

Big Bend
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport / Maverick
Appreciate the feedback. I am not looking at the badlands but……
The OB and BB towing is the same (2000 I think) as the Maverick. Which is fine for me.
I can’t speak about the interior of the badlands but the OB I sat in seemed much more nicer than the Big Bend which I believe is more geared to a nicer interior. The interior of the BB did seem “less” to me in luxury vs the OB.
Yes, I’ve read that as well regarding the water problem some have had. That should not be an issue for me as I will not do that type of off roaring.

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Toyota Prius AWDe
My take on the Bronco Sport is that it is wonderful, but.
The but is build quality. The power and efficiency is good for my use, the towing doesn’t matter to me, I love (love) the looks and the functionality, and accept the big bend compromises off road (to be fixed).
However, the build quality stinks compared to German and Japanese cars. I have noticed misaligned plastic bits, door panel gaps, and have had one trim part replaced under warranty. Tomorrow it goes in because the front sunroof seal started to lift. The aluminium trim around the sunroof is starting to flake off. I have found multiple paint blemishes. I can stick my finger between a gap in the plastic wheel arch trim and the fender underneath. The radio needed a factory reset as it kept turning on at random.
It drives beautifully, is very comfortable, seems able to easily handle what I toss at it, but is missing a lot on the details. It matters because if that is missed, what else is? As long as it is ok mechanically long term, it won’t matter much.

cue the trolls who think I hate Ford…

vxarctic

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
If I could re-do with a 22, I'd get a Badlands with the new Badlands package instead of the Outerbanks. The new Badlands package as lot more creature comforts than the previous Badlands package, like a leather steering wheel. Annnd it's not a big deal, but some times I wish I had a the extra horse power.

OP
OP
younglefthander

younglefthander

Big Bend
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport / Maverick
My take on the Bronco Sport is that it is wonderful, but.
The but is build quality. The power and efficiency is good for my use, the towing doesn’t matter to me, I love (love) the looks and the functionality, and accept the big bend compromises off road (to be fixed).
However, the build quality stinks compared to German and Japanese cars. I have noticed misaligned plastic bits, door panel gaps, and have had one trim part replaced under warranty. Tomorrow it goes in because the front sunroof seal started to lift. The aluminium trim around the sunroof is starting to flake off. I have found multiple paint blemishes. I can stick my finger between a gap in the plastic wheel arch trim and the fender underneath. The radio needed a factory reset as it kept turning on at random.
It drives beautifully, is very comfortable, seems able to easily handle what I toss at it, but is missing a lot on the details. It matters because if that is missed, what else is? As long as it is ok mechanically long term, it won’t matter much.

cue the trolls who think I hate Ford…
For $30k plus, you tend to notice the details and think what else could be missing. Hope your fine mechanically for years to come. I don’t think you hate Ford and I would think those would appreciate the review. Thanks

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Toyota Prius AWDe
For $30k plus, you tend to notice the details and think what else could be missing. Hope your fine mechanically for years to come. I don’t think you hate Ford and I would think those would appreciate the review. Thanks
I suspect that mechanically it will be fine. I see a lot of old boxy escapes around here with no rust that are going strong, and know that the 3cyl dragon engine performs well world wide. Not bad considering that Canada is a giant salt lick five months of the year. At the end of the day, it is the silly niggles that are fundamentally not a big deal which give a car character anyway.
It is funny. I simultaneously am very gentle with the suspension, engine, and transmission while not worrying too much about the body. As long as it doesn’t rust, I am fine! Dings and dents mean a story happened.
Sponsored