Tinting the moonroof

AGLzaca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Has anyone had their moonroof tinted?

If yes, what level? I'm seeing fairly mixed messages on whether it is worth doing or not.
Sponsored

LilbroncoS

Base
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport

If yes, what level? I'm seeing fairly mixed messages on whether it is worth doing or not.
My tint guy told me that you sh9uldnt tint moon roofs because they could shatter.. hes been doing 25 years

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Did it. Love it. Wouldn't use the thing without it. I got a ceramic 70% so the sunbeam isn't a laser beam on you. I just used it yesterday and wondered if 50% would have been an even better choice.

IDK what the other reply is about. If anything some tinting films help contain shattered glass pieces. A thrown rock is what will shatter them. My insurance carries a $0 glass deductible anyhow which includes the roof. I think that is a $7 line charge. I suggest anyone that can add the rider because windshield replacements will eat an entire deductible out of your pocket. I specifically asked my (Allstate) representative and they said insurance would also pay to cover the cost of the tint. I saved both the tint receipts and that email...

OP
OP

AGLzaca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
At the moment I've dropped the car off for just the front eyebrow and then maybe I'll drive around and decide on the moonroof in a few weeks.

Thanks for the response on it being useful! I have read some reports on shattering, but that seems to be a very old issue

kyle_conrad

Outer Banks
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kyleconrad.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
Did it. Love it. Wouldn't use the thing without it. I got a ceramic 70% so the sunbeam isn't a laser beam on you. I just used it yesterday and wondered if 50% would have been an even better choice.
How much did you pay to tint it?

Petroph

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FX4 F150
I thought the sunroof was already tinted in some way? My f150 is.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
How much did you pay to tint it?
... a lot.

It was $825 for the whole job. I don't know the exact breakdown my tint guy charges, but I know $200 of that was the windshield and probably $450-500 was the side windows and lift glass. So maybe $100-$150 for the moon roof?

LilbroncoS

Base
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
... a lot.

It was $825 for the whole job. I don't know the exact breakdown my tint guy charges, but I know $200 of that was the windshield and probably $450-500 was the side windows and lift glass. So maybe $100-$150 for the moon roof?
You got buckin robbed.. i payed 200 for everything. And thats ceramc 5 % all around and 50 on whole windshield.. you payed enough to tint 4 of our bronco sports 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2020 Edge ST, 2021 Bronco Sport First Edition

I had mine tinted. Can't remember what level, but it was maybe like $80 just for the moonroof portion.

My tint guy told me that you sh9uldnt tint moon roofs because they could shatter.. hes been doing 25 years
My tint shop had no issue doing the moonroof on the Bronco Sport but they wanted me to sign a waiver if they did it on my Edge ST, which has a panorama roof (I opted not to tint it). Those panorama roofs have way more issues with shattering in general since they're much larger panels of glass. I don't believe Ford uses laminated glass in them either, so if they shatter, it's a million pieces of broken glass.

I thought I would like the panorama roof but it's honestly too bright during the day. I always keep the visor closed when driving the Edge because of it. Replacing it with an Escape PHEV we have on order (no moonroof) whenever that is eventually built/delivered.

LilbroncoS

Base
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport

IDK what the other reply is about. If anything some tinting films help contain shattered glass pieces. A thrown rock is what will shatter them. My insurance carries a $0 glass deductible anyhow which includes the roof. I think that is a $7 line charge. I suggest anyone that can add the rider because windshield replacements will eat an entire deductible out of your pocket. I specifically asked my (Allstate) representative and they said insurance would also pay to cover the cost of the tint. I saved both the tint receipts and that email...
My tint guy has also been a friend for 20 years.. and doing it for 25

OP
OP

AGLzaca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
From all the readings and comments from various tint places, most don't expect the sunroof/moonroof to have exploded because of any tinting, but likely more because of issues with the glass originally.

I've yet to find anyone say "my moonroof was tinted and caused my moonroof to explode" and I also haven't found anyone who regretted tinting their moonroof. Most people seem very happy to have it done.

There does seem to be people who won't tint moonroofs because they are worried about the risk.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
You got buckin robbed.. i payed 200 for everything. And thats ceramc 5 % all around and 50 on whole windshield.. you payed enough to tint 4 of our bronco sports 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
Maybe. Maybe not. Tint cost is regional. Cost was pretty typical for shops here in Portland Metro. Maybe if I lived someplace where the Sun is so hot, that windows blow out, that it's necessary. So there are as many tint shops as there are gas stations that the competition brings the price down? I like the work they did and he stands by it. Obviously you didn't get the moon roof done either.

My tint guy has also been a friend for 20 years.. and doing it for 25
Maybe you got a "friend" price then. Or maybe you got a dyed sheet. I mean, your friend is willing to tell you that it causes windows to explode, but magically only roof windows made out of the same glass. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

LilbroncoS

Base
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
Maybe. Maybe not. Tint cost is regional. Cost was pretty typical for shops here in Portland Metro. Maybe if I lived someplace where the Sun is so hot, that windows blow out, that it's necessary. So there are as many tint shops as there are gas stations that the competition brings the price down? I like the work they did and he stands by it. Obviously you didn't get the moon roof done either.

Maybe you got a "friend" price then. Or maybe you got a dyed sheet. I mean, your friend is willing to tell you that it causes windows to explode, but magically only roof windows made out of the same glass. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Dont have a moon rooff on the bs.. if i did it would have cost me 40 bucks.. i barely get a discount.. but he does a lot of the dealerships here. And doesnt even charge them half what you payed .... dont be mad at me cause you payed to much.. .. i get a 5 year warranty on mine as well.... and shops charge more for darker tint. So i payed 200 for 5% and you payed $00 for probably 20%.. no one can do that great of a job to charge that much for tint.