THULE or YAKIMA - LIFT-ASSIST KAYAK CARRIER?

bobdod

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands Cyber Orange
They are the JetStream; and were cheaper thru Levittownfordparts.com vs Yakima.com or Rei.com.
I love them and went with the 60" so I have room to mount a slimshady or my awning and shower while my RTT is up. ???
I saw Ford was having a sale on accessories for the holidays;not sure if it's still going on.
Good luck either way; post some pics when you pull the trigger. Would love to see the setup ??
One more question on this Yakima Crossbar kit - did it come with 4 lock cores? Or would those have to be purchased separately?

Bdub

First Edition
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I just purchased the Thule cross bar kit and I was super surprised that 4 lock cores were include. Price way better at Ford than anywhere else.

Bdub

First Edition
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
FYI The Thule Wingbar bars do not work with either of the Lift Assist carriers. Not enough overhang of the bars. I am looking into the Yakima HD bars if I can just get the actual length measurements from someone to confirm.
A member of the Reddit BroncoSport forum confirmed that the 53” Thule Wingbar works with the Hullavator. There is not a ton of clearance with the 53” bars but it does work. According to the Ford parts website they are compatible.

OP
OP
Reachn4dreams

Reachn4dreams

Outer Banks
First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks - Area 51
Hi all! I have Yakima bars, and Thule self assist. .My local car wash said that when I removed the self assIst I could run it through an auto car-wash. But when I tried it the Thule rubber attachment (?) pushed sideways and the bars separated from the right side. The bars have also went sideways when my kayaks were on top, as well as in just when I am just driving down the road. Needless to say I am quite frustrated as the setup was not exactly cheap and I literally I could have easily lost my kayak!! I'm considering returning them, and gettin another combination. I wanted to hear other people's comments.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
While I don't have a crossbar system for the BS yet, Harbor Freight sells set that has surprisingly good reviews, one of the reviews I read was by someone that has a BS and said they fit perfectly. The only downside I see at the moment is they don't come in black like the BS roof rails. For $80 bucks for a pair, they maybe worth trying, if they don't work you could always take them back. Harbor Freight also has a cargo basket.

FairFrank

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Hi all! I have Yakima bars, and Thule self assist. .My local car wash said that when I removed the self assIst I could run it through an auto car-wash. But when I tried it the Thule rubber attachment (?) pushed sideways and the bars separated from the right side. The bars have also went sideways when my kayaks were on top, as well as in just when I am just driving down the road. Needless to say I am quite frustrated as the setup was not exactly cheap and I literally I could have easily lost my kayak!! I'm considering returning them, and gettin another combination. I wanted to hear other people's comments.
Hi and thank you for sharing! Can you give me advice? Is it suitable for big boys' kayak(14' similar to this one)? I've heard a lot of roof racks as the best option to transport it but still got some doubts
Thanks in advance and all the best!

Bdub

First Edition
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Do you already have cross bars? Last week I removed the OEM bars and installed the Thule's with a Hullivator. It should work fine with your kayak.

Ford Bronco Sport THULE or YAKIMA - LIFT-ASSIST KAYAK CARRIER? Hullavator on Sport

OP
OP
Reachn4dreams

Reachn4dreams

Outer Banks
First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! The dealer put on Yakima cross bars and I have had nothing but trouble with them. I think I am going to try to return them and get the Thule ones.

OP
OP
Reachn4dreams

Reachn4dreams

Outer Banks
First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ordered the Thule Hullevator from the Ford aftermarket site and had the dealer install them. I didn't realize they didn't come with cross bars, so the dealership ordered those separately.

Even though the rubber fastener seems tight the Yakima cross bars slide on the Bronco Sport rails at higher speeds or with Ohio winds.

When I was driving 1.5 hours with my 16 foot kayak, the cross bars slid. Luckely I noticed movement through my sunroof and stopped at a rest area. The cross bars moved so much that the Thule Hullevator was not functional (would not lower or rise or click in place until I straightened the bars). Had I not stopped when I did to fix it, the bars, Hullevator, and kayak may have flown off and hit another car.

Alo, I don't know if this is the case with the Ford or Thule bars, but I can't get into my garage with the Hullevator and the Yakima bars.

I am so irritated with this!

@Ford Motor Company

GaryS

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Do you already have cross bars? Last week I removed the OEM bars and installed the Thule's with a Hullivator. It should work fine with your kayak.

Ford Bronco Sport THULE or YAKIMA - LIFT-ASSIST KAYAK CARRIER? Hullavator on Sport
Which size bars do you have? I've heard that 53" is too short, and I've also heard that the length is fine. I want to put a Hullavator on one side and J-racks on the other side and make sure I have the right length but not get one longer than I need. Thanks.

Last edited:

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
One more question on this Yakima Crossbar kit - did it come with 4 lock cores? Or would those have to be purchased separately?
It was part of the set thru Ford. If you buy the bars from Yakima or Rei the locks have to be purchased separately I believe

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I ordered the Thule Hullevator from the Ford aftermarket site and had the dealer install them. I didn't realize they didn't come with cross bars, so the dealership ordered those separately.

Even though the rubber fastener seems tight the Yakima cross bars slide on the Bronco Sport rails at higher speeds or with Ohio winds.

When I was driving 1.5 hours with my 16 foot kayak, the cross bars slid. Luckely I noticed movement through my sunroof and stopped at a rest area. The cross bars moved so much that the Thule Hullevator was not functional (would not lower or rise or click in place until I straightened the bars). Had I not stopped when I did to fix it, the bars, Hullevator, and kayak may have flown off and hit another car.

Alo, I don't know if this is the case with the Ford or Thule bars, but I can't get into my garage with the Hullevator and the Yakima bars.

I am so irritated with this!

@Ford Motor Company
I bet the dealer never fastened the bolts tight. Take some lock tight and go over all the connections to ensure they are tight.
AND NEVER EVER go into an auto car wash. Either hand was or touch less car wash.

GaryS

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
To answer some questions, especially the OP's, I have the opposite rig: Thule Wingbar Evo crossbars on Thule feet, and Yakima kayak assist. I already had the feet from a previous car that used 43" bars. These bars are 53" and I have no issues with the length. Not sure of the height of the Yakima vs the Thule (the Thule seems higher in pictures), but the BS is fairly tall as is. Add the bars and the carrier, and you'd have to have pretty high garage doors to fit everything. Anyway had a 4 hour road trip last to Vermont week. Everything was rock solid there and back. You may not have tightened the feet enough. My assist works great. I just wish it were a little shorter so I could fit 2 up there without having to buy the 60" bars, but then I'd be way over the weight limit anyway.

Ford Bronco Sport THULE or YAKIMA - LIFT-ASSIST KAYAK CARRIER? IMG_2067
Sponsored