Thule Hullavator works with 53" cross bars!

Bdub

First Edition
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Some people have been wondering if the 53" Thule bars would allow enough clearance on the side of the Sport. Works perfectly, 60" bars are not needed (for one kayak). The Thule kit Ford OEM offers includes the 53" cross bars. My kayak weighs approximately 48 pounds, if you have one that is much heavier you may be a little closer to the car body. I'll add bow and stern lines when I head out, the water is still too chilly to safely kayak where I live.
Ford Bronco Sport Thule Hullavator works with 53" cross bars! Sitka XT front view Sport
Ford Bronco Sport Thule Hullavator works with 53" cross bars! Sitka XT on top of Sport
Ford Bronco Sport Thule Hullavator works with 53" cross bars! Sitka XT side view Sport
Ford Bronco Sport Thule Hullavator works with 53" cross bars! Hullavator on Sport
Sponsored

GaryS

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Nice. Would you say there's roof for a set of J-racks on the other side for a second kayak? I want to put up 2 kayaks but 2 Hullavators would necessitate much longer bars and would greatly exceed the weight rating.

OP
OP
Bdub

Bdub

First Edition
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Just measured - you would have about 32" of free bar space with the Hullivators installed. Not sure what the J rack dimensions are.

GaryS

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Just measured - you would have about 32" of free bar space with the Hullivators installed. Not sure what the J rack dimensions are.
Thanks. I'm a little surprised because that means that the Hullavator takes up only 21". I thought it would be more. I think it would work. My previous car used 43" bars and I had 2 kayaks up. I'll post pics when I get everything set up. I think if the weight was OK (it's not) I would be able to have 2 Hullavators side-by-side. Stupid dynamic weight limit.

OP
OP
Bdub

Bdub

First Edition
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Thanks. I'm a little surprised because that means that the Hullavator takes up only 21". I thought it would be more. I think it would work. My previous car used 43" bars and I had 2 kayaks up. I'll post pics when I get everything set up. I think if the weight was OK (it's not) I would be able to have 2 Hullavators side-by-side. Stupid dynamic weight limit.
I guess it could also depend on the width of your kayak once it's secured in the Hullivators on whether or not you'd have room for both.

GaryS

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
So I got the Yakima Showdown with 53” bars. I have a 58 lb 14-footer and am absolutely terrified of having done something wrong. Can someone look at my pics and either reassure me or tell me if anything looks awry? TIA
Ford Bronco Sport Thule Hullavator works with 53" cross bars! 2970FCF8-222C-411A-8CD8-FEC58764E8A4
Ford Bronco Sport Thule Hullavator works with 53" cross bars! 7EA52D77-3722-4E26-9945-AE0F79B68E49
f

GaryS

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
So I got the Yakima Showdown with 53” bars. I have a 58 lb 14-footer and am absolutely terrified of having done something wrong. Can someone look at my pics and either reassure me or tell me if anything looks awry? TIA
Ford Bronco Sport Thule Hullavator works with 53" cross bars! 2970FCF8-222C-411A-8CD8-FEC58764E8A4
Ford Bronco Sport Thule Hullavator works with 53" cross bars! 7EA52D77-3722-4E26-9945-AE0F79B68E49
f
Just an update: due to the weight of the ‘yak, just lifting it up to the arms was not easy.

I kept tightening it and then taking it down 3 times as it seemed unbalanced/loose. Eventually, adjusted the pads and bow/stern lines and it was good to go. Right now I’m 2 hours into a trip at low highway speeds and so far everything seems rock solid.
Sponsored