Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
  • Banned
So the back wheel wells have pockets where the little stone guards attach that catches everything, and the back doors have pockets also. This is from normal driving, mud/stone is from unmaintained county crossover road.
The pockets I have to remove the stone guards to actually clean out, and the bottom of the doors fill with shit in that seam. This is gonna be brutal in the winter with ice build up North. And the salt mix that is gonna live between the panels and destroy them. I’m gonna have to spray out the rear doors with every wash. Wtf dumbass designed this setup, I’m assuming same one that put the ecu in the fender. The vibration of the door panel is gonna sand off the paint.

Ford Bronco Sport This is gonna be an issue F14D0953-E1C2-4D33-A189-6A2F32DCABA1
Ford Bronco Sport This is gonna be an issue 99D9D647-6A0D-43CF-BAB9-C4DD0E1149BE
Ford Bronco Sport This is gonna be an issue 0E02729A-44D6-43BB-AD8B-BB6ED47A74F5
Ford Bronco Sport This is gonna be an issue 0CBF3B8B-31DF-4F59-94D7-07DAF031B766
Ford Bronco Sport This is gonna be an issue 01DBE221-0D43-4A63-91E9-10D5093549DE
Ford Bronco Sport This is gonna be an issue D166EFF1-919D-4259-8E8F-DA9F3BFEC0EE
Sponsored

Broncolution

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
They put the ECU where?! In the fender?? Why would they put such a competent in a susceptible place? That’s almost like some manufactures placing the the ACD/AYC pumps near rear fenders uncovered.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
Well I'm not sure about your rear door(s) , may be a seal issue . Every vehicle has pockets where debris can accumulate , cleaning normally clears it up .

Just how many are having issues with the placement of the ECU ? hundreds , thousands or just a couple ? Owners manual clearly states how deep of water forging can be done , the BS not a submarine , nor was it designed to be .

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
They put the ECU where?! In the fender?? Why would they put such a competent in a susceptible place? That’s almost like some manufactures placing the the ACD/AYC pumps near rear fenders uncovered.
Component location is always an exercise in tradeoffs. The PCM (powertrain control module) likely cannot live in the engine compartment due to heat, so they mount it on the outside of the engine compartment in the wheel well. I believe the device is potted to prevent water intrusion.

Ford also sets a maximum fording depth which, if observed, will prevent submersing the PCM.

ck122

Big Bend
First Name
chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 bronco sport 1950 chevy style line deluxe
So the back wheel wells have pockets where the little stone guards attach that catches everything, and the back doors have pockets also. This is from normal driving, mud/stone is from unmaintained county crossover road.
The pockets I have to remove the stone guards to actually clean out, and the bottom of the doors fill with shit in that seam. This is gonna be brutal in the winter with ice build up North. And the salt mix that is gonna live between the panels and destroy them. I’m gonna have to spray out the rear doors with every wash. Wtf dumbass designed this setup, I’m assuming same one that put the ecu in the fender. The vibration of the door panel is gonna sand off the paint.

Ford Bronco Sport This is gonna be an issue F14D0953-E1C2-4D33-A189-6A2F32DCABA1
Ford Bronco Sport This is gonna be an issue 99D9D647-6A0D-43CF-BAB9-C4DD0E1149BE
Ford Bronco Sport This is gonna be an issue 0E02729A-44D6-43BB-AD8B-BB6ED47A74F5
Ford Bronco Sport This is gonna be an issue 0CBF3B8B-31DF-4F59-94D7-07DAF031B766
Ford Bronco Sport This is gonna be an issue 01DBE221-0D43-4A63-91E9-10D5093549DE
Ford Bronco Sport This is gonna be an issue D166EFF1-919D-4259-8E8F-DA9F3BFEC0EE
the furture of our babys

Ford Bronco Sport This is gonna be an issue 1651932154144

OP
OP
RiotfunK

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
  • Banned
All of the rear doors are built this way. Saying is a dumb design. There’s a gap between the metal panels that will fill with stuff which can cause damage, especially when freezing. Open your back doors and you’ll see the gap I mean.
And yes I get the fording depth. Is more if you’re kicking shit up even in a shallow spot, mud, snow etc. it is in a vulnerable spot. The motor is small and there’s plenty of other places it could go.

Deleted member 6599

All of the rear doors are built this way. Saying is a dumb design. There’s a gap between the metal panels that will fill with stuff which can cause damage, especially when freezing. Open your back doors and you’ll see the gap I mean.
And yes I get the fording depth. Is more if you’re kicking shit up even in a shallow spot, mud, snow etc. it is in a vulnerable spot. The motor is small and there’s plenty of other places it could go.
You can fill the gap with clear calk like I did. I had dirt getting flung into mine too.
Ford Bronco Sport This is gonna be an issue B718CF2C-25CF-4EEF-B6C6-3A1556E13204

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Ford also sets a maximum fording depth which, if observed, will prevent submersing the PCM.
Ppl have posted pictures up here before showing ECU is totally submerged at 17 inches well below the max depth for Badlands. But unit is supposed to be sealed. Been one or so reports of water issue with ECU so usually not a problem.

Last edited:

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
My factory installed mudd flaps sit flush no areas that can collect debris. These are the cheaper $200 option flaps. I see gap on rear door trim but I don't have any dirt built up in mine yet.

Ford Bronco Sport This is gonna be an issue PXL_20220507_152951585

Ford Bronco Sport This is gonna be an issue PXL_20220507_153006427

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
Ok in front or rear tires yes gunk can built up. Take hose squirt it out regularly or remove them. You should be squirting out wheel wells on regular basis anyway.

Ford Bronco Sport This is gonna be an issue PXL_20220507_154114838

Deleted member 6599

You can fill the gap with clear calk like I did. I had dirt getting flung into mine too.
My factory installed mudd flaps sit flush no areas that can collect debris. These are the cheaper $200 option flaps. I see gap on rear door trim but I don't have any dirt built up in mine yet.

Ford Bronco Sport This is gonna be an issue PXL_20220507_152951585

Ford Bronco Sport This is gonna be an issue PXL_20220507_153006427
He’s talking about the little ones that go in front of the tires.

Deleted member 6599

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
He’s talking about the little ones that go in front of the tires.
Yep now I see. Squirt out with hose on regular basis wont be a problem or remove them. Wheel wells should be squirted out kept clean on regular basis on all vehicles or yes they gonna rust out.

Ford Bronco Sport This is gonna be an issue PXL_20220507_154114838

OP
OP
RiotfunK

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
JTNEWTON7814- Yeah I saw you did that in another thread. Keep me posted as time goes on. My concern in the northeast is the water, slush, ice and constant freezing temperatures. My taco would freeze up and rub the tub on the sliders from the winter freezing mess and would have to chip it out. But the BS, no way I can get to that. It’s the freezing and expanding in there I’m concerned with. All my other vehicles had a rolled edge. Never this open area in door.

69Cuda- Do those tub side flaps cover that area where all the junk builds up?

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
69Cuda- Do those tub side flaps cover that area where all the junk builds up?
No the problem area you show is in front of rear wheels. I showed pics of flaps that go in back of wheels.

If you live in freezing climate where you can't hose out regularly you could just remove those flaps in front of rear wheels. I believe they are there to direct wind away from tire for fuel economy. Or fill that void with black RTV.

On mine I have gap between felt wheel liner and rear wheel well. So far I been hosing out when I wash it. Gaps between front wheel liners and front fenders to so those need regular cleaning too.
Sponsored