The recall for Cracked injectors and computer update.

biglarrr

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I brought my BSOB in for the recall for faulty injectors and Programming (Recall: 22S73PCM PROGRAMMING AND DRAIN TUBE)
Comment #1 - REALLY ! ! ! A drain tube to run the gas onto the floor of your garage when the injector fails ? ?
OK - I guess there's a precedent, since I saw someone mention that this is common practice on multiple vehicles.
Comment #2 What does that PCM programming do? I admit I didn't google it before hand, because I actually didn't know it was going to happen.
Apparently they don't educate the Service writers, or if it's like a Help Desk I used to work for, they're told not to tell the customer what it's for.
My service writer said "Oh - it's just an update like you have to do on your Windows computer occasionally.
"OF Course that's all it was.
I did Google it when I got home, and there had to be 50 articles explaining that it supposedly detects when the line breaks.
I'm not sure what happens then. Maybe Flashing Red lights on the dash telling you to run for your life.
This whole recall, after recall, after recall thing, has really made me regret my purchase.
And oddly enough - I still love my BSOB, and probably will keep it until it burns down.
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I brought my BSOB in for the recall for faulty injectors and Programming (Recall: 22S73PCM PROGRAMMING AND DRAIN TUBE)
I think the source of your angst is a misunderstanding. The recall isn't for faulty injectors; there is no evidence I'm aware of that the injectors used in the Bronco Sport are any more prone to failure than injectors used in any other vehicle.

Ford investigated the cause of under-hood fires some owners experienced and traced the source of gas to cracked injectors. Fuel leaks in the engine compartment may happen with any vehicle, and when it does the manufacturer must ensure any flammable liquids have a safe route away from hot engine components that might ignite them. That is the subject of this recall; it's to mitigate the danger inherent in under-hood fuel leaks.

The programming adds a further layer of protection for owners. It will alert you to a drop in fuel pressure that will occur if you experience a leaking fuel injector. My assumption is that it will also place the engine into limp mode to limit power output. Limiting power output limits the amount of fuel going to the engine.

jkeaton

Big Bend
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend / 2013 Escape Titanium
I think the source of your angst is a misunderstanding. The recall isn't for faulty injectors; there is no evidence I'm aware of that the injectors used in the Bronco Sport are any more prone to failure than injectors used in any other vehicle.

Ford investigated the cause of under-hood fires some owners experienced and traced the source of gas to cracked injectors. Fuel leaks in the engine compartment may happen with any vehicle, and when it does the manufacturer must ensure any flammable liquids have a safe route away from hot engine components that might ignite them. That is the subject of this recall; it's to mitigate the danger inherent in under-hood fuel leaks.

The programming adds a further layer of protection for owners. It will alert you to a drop in fuel pressure that will occur if you experience a leaking fuel injector. My assumption is that it will also place the engine into limp mode to limit power output. Limiting power output limits the amount of fuel going to the engine.
Perfectly stated. There is a lot of misconceptions out there concerning this recall.

OP
OP

biglarrr

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Perfectly stated. There is a lot of misconceptions out there concerning this recall.
Perfect ? - we'll thank you very much. He pretty much repeated exactly what my original post said - - - except - - - I didn't assume the engine went into limp mode or that limp mode would even be a wise choice when an injector is spewing gas at minimally 1200 squirts per minute.
I do think the better hope would be that it would shut the engine and all electrical down except for a display telling you to exit the car immediately.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Perfect ? - we'll thank you very much. He pretty much repeated exactly what my original post said - - - except - - - I didn't assume the engine went into limp mode or that limp mode would even be a wise choice when an injector is spewing gas at minimally 1200 squirts per minute.
I assumed you were suggesting that Ford should replace the fuel injectors as many others have. My apologies if that's not your concern. Regarding fuel leaking on your garage floor, I don't think that'll be an issue unless you are in the habit of running your engine while the car sits in the garage. Any fuel leaks from a cracked fuel injector will cease when you turn your engine off. You might see whatever's left in the drain tube (an ounce?), but gasoline is quite volatile. It's more likely whatever is in the tube will evaporate in the warm engine compartment before it leaks onto the floor.

I'm sure the question of what to do with possible fuel leaks has been discussed ad nauseum by manufacturers and EPA officials. Obviously, any fuel leaking on the ground is not good for the environment. The problem is there are dozens of components that might fail in such a way to result in a fuel leak. How do you ensure that no failed component ever results in fuel leaking on the ground?

I'm sure it could be done—people are quite clever—but how much would you be willing to pay for it?

I do think the better hope would be that it would shut the engine and all electrical down except for a display telling you to exit the car immediately.
I get your concern; no one wants to drive a car that might erupt into flames at any moment. And that's the primary reason for this recall. By porting any fuel spilled from a leaking injector overboard you greatly reduce the possibility of an under-hood fire. Keep in mind my assumption the software change would place the engine in limp mode is just that—an assumption. Ford and the NHTSA may have determined that's not necessary. It seems to me any fuel leaking from an injector on the order you describe will be immediately noticeable to the driver without any need for a dash display. Multi-cylinder engines make all kinds of racket and violent vibrations when one or more cylinders are not producing power, and if a fuel injector is spewing all its gas into the engine compartment instead of into the cylinder then that cylinder is no longer making power.

The far more likely scenario is a leak big enough to be a fire hazard without a fuel drain, but small enough that the driver might not notice a change in performance. In that case the computer will see the drop in fuel pressure and notify the driver. At that point you simply drive your car to a service center counting on the fuel drain to keep fuel away from anything hot enough to ignite it.

jkeaton

Big Bend
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend / 2013 Escape Titanium
Meaning he explained it perfectly. I was not directing that towards you. My apologies if you are offended by my response to HIS post.

OP
OP

biglarrr

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Meaning he explained it perfectly. I was not directing that towards you. My apologies if you are offended by my response to HIS post.
Sorry - I did jump to the wrong conclusion on that.
Oh - and thankfully he was right about the limp assumption. After thinking about it, it could be very bad if you blew an injector and the car shut down while you were in traffic.

Caliope

Outer Banks
First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS OBX, 2019 Ranger Lariat Screw
I took my BSOB in for an oil change last week and asked about having the recall performed. My dealer stated that there is an issue with the program Ford issued for the recall. They said that a glitch in the program would cause the check engine light to be activated permanently. So, they recommended I wait until Ford corrects the issue.

OP
OP

biglarrr

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I took my BSOB in for an oil change last week and asked about having the recall performed. My dealer stated that there is an issue with the program Ford issued for the recall. They said that a glitch in the program would cause the check engine light to be activated permanently. So, they recommended I wait until Ford corrects the issue.
Sounds like BS to me. Ha - just realized BS is - well - I guess it's appropriate.
I'd say it's more likely that they've got a stack of 50 requisitions for the recall parts and are only getting two a week. That's what the parts manager told me when I called to ask about my recall status.
I'm betting that your service guy just didn't want to have to tell another customer that it would be six months before your name made it to the top of the list.
I guess I was pretty quick. I made my request in January, and got it the end of March.

It's a freakin Tube that lets the fuel drain from the top of the engine into your garage, or wherever you happen to be when the injector blows. They could probably buy it at Ace Hardware.
As far as the programming update, yours is the first one with the story about the check engine light that I've heard of.

Ken L

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Called the dealer after getting my letter. Been 6 weeks from them ordering the parts. They tell me the last time I called that each dealer get 2 repair parts per week from Ford. Nice how the letter says parts are now available to do the recall.

OP
OP

biglarrr

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Called the dealer after getting my letter. Been 6 weeks from them ordering the parts. They tell me the last time I called that each dealer get 2 repair parts per week from Ford. Nice how the letter says parts are now available to do the recall.
Yeap - that's exactly what the parts guy told me.
Interestingly - I had my BS in for an oil change in January, and the Service writer said he was creating a workorder for my recall, and I would be notified when they got the parts.
In March I got snail mail (probably the same one you got) that said parts are now available. I decided to wait a few days for the service department to call me. A week later I got another snail mail stating that parts were available and I should schedule the repair.
I called the service department and got some arrogant woman who just kept talking right over me without letting me finish a sentence. I finally heard "You need to call Parts" REALLY ! ! ! I had to call parts to find out that they're only getting two parts a week. He told me that he had over fifty parts on order, and would notify the service writers when my turn came. He then volunteered to look at where I was on the list, and he said I was at the top, and they would be in Thursday or Friday. I waited until the following Tuesday, and called Service again, and again got told I had to call parts. I called Parts, and got the same guy. He said your parts came in last week and I notified service. They should have called you.
Soooooo - he transferred me (hmmm - I wonder why service couldn't do that) and I actually got the guy who wrote my service order. His response "I've been meaning to call you. Your parts came in last week.
Anyway - The parts are available, but only at some depot, where one old man with broken glasses, in a wheel chair with an Atari computer and a dot matrix printer is sending them out as fast as he can.

Moral of the story. Hound your dealer. Hound the service department, Hound the parts department.
You might get your parts before your Bronco burns your house down.

Escp2BroncoS

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
I called 2 dealers today and inquired about the recall and neither dealer had the parts. One dealer said parts ETA is roughly September. The other said they don't have an ETA.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I called 2 dealers today and inquired about the recall and neither dealer had the parts. One dealer said parts ETA is roughly September. The other said they don't have an ETA.
Between the horrible communication and lack of parts, this really looks bad for Ford. I wonder if anyone at corporate understands that people are afraid of driving their cars because of the way this issue was presented?

Ken L

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
They never gave me where I was on the list. That is why I was calling weekly. Not calling the dealer anymore. Calling Ford and let them call the dealership. If they would say your #10 on the list maybe I would not be such of a pain in the ass. We love our OBX. Once a month we travel between Ma and Pa with 10-14 hours in the car over a weekend.
Sponsored