Test drive - suspension

SM05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, 2021 RAV4 TRD Offroad
Got to test drive Big Bend today cause that's all the closest dealer had available. I am interested in Badlands with Badlands package so it's not a fair comparison but I figured driving dynamics, usability, visibility and comfort should be more or less the same.

Liked the size, how it drives, how surprisingly quick 3 cylinder engine was (even though Badlands has a different engine), noise level (quietness), seat comfort in general, to my surprise didn't mind auto start/stop that much.

Neutral:
Side mirrors could've been a bit taller but serviceable. Rear view mirror could've been bigger as the rear visibility is not great imho. In sport mode there was some rattling type sound coming from under the engine compartment. Wish I could lower the seat a bit more to flatten it a bit. Hoping Badlands with package will have better/more adjustments in that department.

Dislikes:
Suspension. It was "bouncy" for the lack of better term. Hitting the road imperfections/dips I felt like it was launching me upwards. I checked the tire pressure and it was at crazy 45 all around. With too higher of a tire pressure I expected for the ride to be stiffer so kind of surprised there. Correct me if I'm wrong but Badlands has a slightly different suspension, right? If so, the driving experience might be different.

Wondering if those with non-Badlands and with Badlands could comment on my experience. Thanks so much.
Sponsored

McBrideless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
Got to test drive Big Bend today cause that's all the closest dealer had available. I am interested in Badlands with Badlands package so it's not a fair comparison but I figured driving dynamics, usability, visibility and comfort should be more or less the same.

Liked the size, how it drives, how surprisingly quick 3 cylinder engine was (even though Badlands has a different engine), noise level (quietness), seat comfort in general, to my surprise didn't mind auto start/stop that much.

Neutral:
Side mirrors could've been a bit taller but serviceable. Rear view mirror could've been bigger as the rear visibility is not great imho. In sport mode there was some rattling type sound coming from under the engine compartment. Wish I could lower the seat a bit more to flatten it a bit. Hoping Badlands with package will have better/more adjustments in that department.

Dislikes:
Suspension. It was "bouncy" for the lack of better term. Hitting the road imperfections/dips I felt like it was launching me upwards. I checked the tire pressure and it was at crazy 45 all around. With too higher of a tire pressure I expected for the ride to be stiffer so kind of surprised there. Correct me if I'm wrong but Badlands has a slightly different suspension, right? If so, the driving experience might be different.

Wondering if those with non-Badlands and with Badlands could comment on my experience. Thanks so much.
I’m not sure what you are comparing it too, but I’d guess the bounce comes from the off road focus. I know everything has been softened up compared to the escape with a little more room for travel as well.

OP
OP
SM05

SM05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m not sure what you are comparing it too, but I’d guess the bounce comes from the off road focus. I know everything has been softened up compared to the escape with a little more room for travel as well.
Previous generation of RAV4 (it's on my profile). I guess what I'm wondering if I'm imagining what's not there or if that's how pretty much how every other model rides.

OP
OP
SM05

SM05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd appreciate any feedback from Badlands owners about on road suspension feel whether it's bouncy or not. Thanks so much.

Wyo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BL, 1968 Bronco, 2018 Expy
My BL came in at 45 too. A little harsh until I lowered it about 10lbs. Door jam does say 33lbs. Badlands does have it's own unique suspension and it's awesome! Don't know why they're over inflating them.

OP
OP
SM05

SM05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My BL came in at 45 too. A little harsh until I lowered it about 10lbs. Door jam does say 33lbs. Badlands does have it's own unique suspension and it's awesome! Don't know why they're over inflating them.
Thanks. I'll need to hit the highway for long runs now and then. Just wanted to make sure it's passable as an on road vehicle. Keep 'em coming. :)

Wyo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. I'll need to hit the highway for long runs now and then. Just wanted to make sure it's passable as an on road vehicle. Keep 'em coming. :)
I should say awesome off-road. I find the on road travel very good though. I'd say it feels more like a truck than a wanna be SUV which is a plus for me. I don't think you'll have a problem with the ride. Not plush but solid on road manners but then when you go off road, it shines! 250hp is plenty fun with this machine!!

OP
OP
SM05

SM05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This must've been posted before. I'm just pointing out some question marks I have while considering my choices.

Right at 2:00 mark he says "...while Badlands... suspension feels a little bit floatier". Wonder how that translates to on road exeprience. He also continues right then that Badlands sounded noisier likely due to tires.

At 4:04 mark he continues on that seats are shaped differently in Badlands having "an odd dome". I briefly sat in Badlands w/o Badlands package a while back and I do remember feeling something similar to that description. Not sure how big of an issue that would be.

All comments are welcome.

VapourTrails

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW
This must've been posted before. I'm just pointing out some question marks I have while considering my choices.

Right at 2:00 mark he says "...while Badlands... suspension feels a little bit floatier". Wonder how that translates to on road exeprience. He also continues right then that Badlands sounded noisier likely due to tires.

At 4:04 mark he continues on that seats are shaped differently in Badlands having "an odd dome". I briefly sat in Badlands w/o Badlands package a while back and I do remember feeling something similar to that description. Not sure how big of an issue that would be.

All comments are welcome.
I wonder how the Pirelli tires compare to the heavier off-road tires?

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon, Fiat Spider 124, Bronco Sport Badlands
I should say awesome off-road. I find the on road travel very good though. I'd say it feels more like a truck than a wanna be SUV which is a plus for me. I don't think you'll have a problem with the ride. Not plush but solid on road manners but then when you go off road, it shines! 250hp is plenty fun with this machine!!
I am driving BL+BL. I would characterize the ride exactly as you said. A bit of a truck feel but comfortable.

also, I’d say it is sort of like the Tardis: it seems bigger on the inside than it is. feels spacious to me.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Checked and over inflated for a very firm tire. Needed to help hold the vehicle still while it's in the car hauler trailer, keeps better tension on the tie down chains. On arrival at dealer all they do is check fluids and look for shipping damage.
I bought mine. Took it home and set tire pressure myself with my digital gage. No problemo.
Back in the day when I was a used car salesman we'd underinflate a 32 psi tire down to 26 or 28 psi to make the car ride nice, before to monitors. Most customers are just not tire smart but most think they are.

Wyo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is the first time I bought a vehicle from then that wasn't at the proper psi. They just forgot.

McBrideless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
If you’re at a higher elevation there could be a difference from the pressure at the factory. I don’t think that would be 10 psi though. Temperature could affect it too. Maybe Tom Brady could answer this ?
Sponsored