Tell me about your tint

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Alright so I’m definitely tinting the driver and passenger side front windows to match the factory tint. What are everyone’s thoughts on tinting the windshield? Is 50% windshield going to impair my vision at night or in heavy rain conditions? I’ve never had a tinted windshield before.
Sponsored

NaysBadlands

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Check your local laws before doing it. I have the Llumar Air 80 on my F150 and it does a great job of cutting down the heat here in FL. It is technically not legal to do this tint, but you can't really tell it is on there.

We did 20% all around (other than the windshield) on the Badlands and I am likely to bring it back for the Air 80 on the windshield as well.

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2020 Edge ST, 2021 Bronco Sport First Edition
20% front windows, under 10% for rear windows (with factory tint accounted for), 35% on the moon roof. Nothing on windshield. I have the Bronco Sport windshield reflector for parking and didn't want to sacrifice visibility.

OP
OP
ZeroCool

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
So @RonSwanson can i assume you would agree that 50% in your opinion could impair my vision? I was thinking as you as just using the sunshade when I park, and I mean i spent the money on polarized ray-bans for a reason…..
I already find rainy conditions hard to see in as well as at night so that’s why the concern.
Thinking that @BaseOrBust ’s window strip might be the way for me too.

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So @RonSwanson can i assume you would agree that 50% in your opinion could impair my vision? I was thinking as you as just using the sunshade when I park, and I mean i spent the money on polarized ray-bans for a reason…..
I already find rainy conditions hard to see in as well as at night so that’s why the concern.
Thinking that @BaseOrBust ’s window strip might be the way for me too.
I just had my tint done yesterday, actually, so this is all fresh in my mind.

Windshield tint is illegal in IL aside from a small strip at the top and I just don't see the need to potentially compromise my ability to react or see the road. It also makes it difficult for other drivers and pedestrians to see you when it's important to communicate via hand signals and lip reading (i.e. "No, YOU go!") at 4 way stops and crosswalks.

I'm not condemning anybody that has tinted their windshield, but I personally didn't want it. That sunshade folds up really easily, has it's own case/bag and takes up very little room in my cargo area. It should also block way more sunlight out when I'm parked than any tint ever would and my car is garage parked 99% of the time anyway.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ZeroCool

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I just had my tint done yesterday, actually, so this is all fresh in my mind.

Windshield tint is illegal in IL aside from a small strip at the top and I just don't see the need to potentially compromise my ability to react or see the road. It also makes it difficult for other drivers and pedestrians to see you when it's important to communicate via hand signals and lip reading (i.e. "No, YOU go!") at 4 way stops and crosswalks.
That’s awesome I’m about to set mine up. Apparently ohio (I’m in ohio)and one other state I forget what it is, allow it. I’m leaning towards not doing the full windshield you listed more reasons I hadn’t thought about that make even more sense. Appreciate the input.

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s awesome I’m about to set mine up. Apparently ohio (I’m in ohio)and one other state I forget what it is, allow it. I’m leaning towards not doing the full windshield you listed more reasons I hadn’t thought about that make even more sense. Appreciate the input.
This was the first car I've had tint installed on, so I probably put too much thought into it, if anything. Glad my OCD helped inform your decision-making though. lol

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
It's mostly a question of do you want the windows to match or do you just want relief from heat / UV / glare. Some people use 2-3 different tints to get all the windows to match up. If you do that, usually you have to go 50% on the front windows which have none to start. Once you go 50% on the front though, you really start to run afoul of many state laws. It's also pretty noticeable so if the popo want to go for that, it gets obvious.

I didn't care about the matching so much so I just added 35% all around including the sunroof. 35% is the most Oregon allows so that's what it got. If you look at the existing windows, it will tell you the stock tinting on the silkscreen info badge. The factory tint is just coloration though, like beer bottles, so it doesn't reject heat like the films do. You can get clear/almost clear film that will filter UV too, but many states only let you have a band or nothing at all, even though clear means no tint. There's technically correct and legally correct and they aren't the same.

OP
OP
ZeroCool

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
It's mostly a question of do you want the windows to match or do you just want relief from heat / UV / glare. Some people use 2-3 different tints to get all the windows to match up. If you do that, usually you have to go 50% on the front windows which have none to start. Once you go 50% on the front though, you really start to run afoul of many state laws. It's also pretty noticeable so if the popo want to go for that, it gets obvious.

I didn't care about the matching so much so I just added 35% all around including the sunroof. 35% is the most Oregon allows so that's what it got. If you look at the existing windows, it will tell you the stock tinting on the silkscreen info badge. The factory tint is just coloration though, like beer bottles, so it doesn't reject heat like the films do. You can get clear/almost clear film that will filter UV too, but many states only let you have a band or nothing at all, even though clear means no tint. There's technically correct and legally correct and they aren't the same.
Yeah i want the windows to match the rest that came with the factory tint. I can do %50 here on the front driver and passenger. People at work told me you could get ticketed in other states for tint thats darker then allowable by their laws? That makes no sense to me if your car is registered and lawful in the state where it’s registered. Madness.

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah i want the windows to match the rest that came with the factory tint. I can do %50 here on the front driver and passenger. People at work told me you could get ticketed in other states for tint thats darker then allowable by their laws? That makes no sense to me if your car is registered and lawful in the state where it’s registered. Madness.
They're usually "fix it" tickets. If you present proof you had the tint removed, there is no fine and the ticket goes away. The shop I went to said they'd give me an invoice saying I'd had it removed if it ever became an issue.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Yeah, that's crazy. Like some states require 2 plates and some don't. If you only have 1, what are you supposed to do, not travel some places? I think that goes against your Right to Free Travel between states. All of our different Driver Licenses have reciprocity.

Your tint guy should be able to look at the windows and recommend how to match them up since you have 50% to work with. I don't know if all the BS are the same, but my windows say 70% front and windshield, 22% rear, 25% rear fixed, 15% rear lift glass.
That's transmission, "tint" is measured as the inverse of 100%.

vxarctic

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I got a 35% on the front driver and passenger side, and the rest I got a 70%. California tint laws are rear passenger and back can be any tint level. Front passenger can't exceed 88% tint. Front only allows the top 4 inches. Buuut nobody really follows it and I haven't heard of it really being enforced. I mean, the cops even drive around a 5% tint. I always see people driving around with illegal tints and hell, it got up to 112 degrees here last week and my work's parking lot isn't covered. I didn't go way dark because I didn't want to draw attention to myself, still not legal, but it doesn't really stand out either.

It's been totally worth it though. Before, even with my sun shade at the end of the day I'd get into my Bronco and the steering wheel would be burning hot. Now with the tint my Bronco is much cooler and I don't need to sit there in the parking lot with the door open to let it cool down before I get going. Easily the best investment so far.

Last edited:

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got a 35% on the front driver and passenger side, and the rest I got a 70%. California tint laws are rear passenger and back can be any tint level. Front passenger can't exceed 88% tint. Front only allows the top 4 inches. Buuut nobody really follows it and I haven't heard of it really being enforced. I mean, the cops even drive around a 5% tint. I always see people driving around with illegal tints and hell, it got up to 112 degrees here last week and my work's parking lot isn't covered. I didn't go way dark because I didn't want to draw attention to myself, still not legal, but it doesn't really stand out either.

It's been totally worth it though. Before, even with my sun shade at the end of the day I'd get into my Bronco and the steering wheel would be burning hot. Now with the tint my Bronco is much cooler and I don't need to sit there in the parking lot with the door open to let it cool down before I get going. Easily the best investment so far.
This was a big reason why I wanted tint. I'm going to be doing a lot of traveling in the Western US to national parks this summer and didn't want my car to be like a greenhouse with an oven in it when I return from hiking or whatever.
Sponsored