Steel or aluminum wheels?

ElBronc

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I'm planning on getting new bigger tires for the FE, something like the BFG all terrains or General ATX. I've got the Wildpeaks that came with it and will keep those on different rims for the winter.

Now, I like the look of black steelies. My Bronco black diamond will roll those. My question is, if I get a set of steelies for the BS, is it better to have those on the Wildpeaks for the winter and the stock aluminum wheels with the BFG's for the summer? Or vice versa?

I'm a little concerned about damaging the stock FE $900 ea wheels on the trails in the summer. Also I know that people usually throw snow tires on steel wheels for the winter.

Anybody have opinions on steel/alum for winter/summer setups?
Sponsored

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I'm planning on getting new bigger tires for the FE, something like the BFG all terrains or General ATX. I've got the Wildpeaks that came with it and will keep those on different rims for the winter.

Now, I like the look of black steelies. My Bronco black diamond will roll those. My question is, if I get a set of steelies for the BS, is it better to have those on the Wildpeaks for the winter and the stock aluminum wheels with the BFG's for the summer? Or vice versa?

I'm a little concerned about damaging the stock FE $900 ea wheels on the trails in the summer. Also I know that people usually throw snow tires on steel wheels for the winter.

Anybody have opinions on steel/alum for winter/summer setups?
Steel ALL the time! There are hazards in winter and again in summer on the trails, alloys aren't ever really safe are they? So much anxiety over nice alloy wheels when steel is tough, looks tough, and is cheap!

OP
OP
ElBronc

ElBronc

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Steel ALL the time! There are hazards in winter and again in summer on the trails, alloys aren't ever really safe are they? So much anxiety over nice alloy wheels when steel is tough, looks tough, and is cheap!
All good points!

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Steel is real,
Aluminum is, Look at me ! And it's expensive.
I've seen some really cool looking steel wheels.
Still on factory aluminum...

Go~Broncos

Big Bend
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I guess we are the only ones who realize aluminum is a god material to make wheels out of. Weight savings anyone?

I’m interested in finding the specs of the aluminum steelies.

johnardsg

Big Bend
First Name
johnard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS BigBend/2011 v6 Rav4
Can you buy steelies like the ones you see on the ford interceptor suv/cars (police cars)? I parked beside one and i think it looks really neat

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Toyota Prius AWDe
I guess we are the only ones who realize aluminum is a god material to make wheels out of. Weight savings anyone?

I’m interested in finding the specs of the aluminum steelies.
My understanding is that the reason people prefer steel wheels off road is that should things go very badly, they can be pounded back to more or less round. That is unlikely with aluminium wheels. Which is better may well come down to how the vehicle is going to be used.
Personally, I just use the stock wheels and don’t worry about it. If they get dinged up, I will get steel ones because a) they are cheaper, and b) apparently something in my driving or use points to them being a good idea ?
Sponsored